BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks, bought a 99LT with over 111M miles on her but she's a real beauty! I live in Northern Illinois and we have I-Pass to go through the toll booths. Can anyone tell me where to put the transponder? I put it in the cassette compartment but I don't think it works there from the one time I exited on Arlington Heights road. Thanks -K-:confused:

·
Registered
832 Posts
1. Velcro to windshield.
2. Ram mount on bars.
3. keep it in the oddments box and pull it out at tolls.
4. AreoStich inside pocket.
5. Tank bag map case.
5. AreoStitch makes a toll pass holder.
I usually just keep it handy where I can pull it out from a pocket and hold it up at the tolls.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Have mine mounted on the right side winglet.
What is nice that a large number of states let you use the I-Pass on their systems.

DON

·
Cooler on the east coast!!!
1,243 Posts
In your car :)

I do not bother carrying it at all. I have the licence plate registered and I am charged a vtoll on my account. I have never had a problem or a violation. Just my thoughts.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
gglove said:

I do not bother carrying it at all. I have the licence plate registered and I am charged a vtoll on my account. I have never had a problem or a violation. Just my thoughts.
Same here with the Tx-Tag. BUT.... if you get New tags when you reregister the bike make sure you let the toll people know so they don't hit you up for a violation. Don't ask how I know this. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I put I-Pass in the map pocket of my tank bag. It seems to work well.

Otherwise, in my vest pocket and just pull it out when "open tolling"

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have the acessory shelf under the windshield, I mount my Ipass there and there enough room left for a future GPS or some other farkle. BTW I get off at Arlington Hts Rd everday and the light never lights up on the toll to indicate a paid toll. I dont know why, and Ive never (knock on wood) had a violation notice. It make me wonder if the light on the toll exit simply doesnt work. I ride in to work pretty much everyday from May thru Sep, and everytime the weather lets me in March, April, October n November.

Point being I know I90 very well and I havent had any I-pass problems

tom

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
gglove said:

I've had this fact verified with the I-Pass helpdesk and the supervisor. The "vtoll" happens when a picture is taken of your plate and computer verified in their database. You just need to register the MC plate with the I-Pass. I believe you can have 3 vehicles registered on one I-Pass.
The helpdesk suggested NOT mounting the transponder or holding it up as you go through the gate. Let the computer do the database lookup against your plate. There are no instructions on their webpage as to how to mount a transponder to a MC.

HTH,
Jer

·
Registered
577 Posts
I believe the I-pass is the same system New York uses for their EZpass. The little lady behind the protection glass, told me that mounting the sensor on the left of center side of the bike and going through the toss station on the right side of the track, and not to go to fast through the station. This worked for me. Other posts have said that locating sensor in the top section of the trunk also works.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I don't know...I've received tickets on "registered" vehicles in the past. Maybe they have improved on their technology recently. The problem is that you get a ticket in the mail with a few missed toll violations as far back as a year and then what do you do? Pay 'em.
Keith

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
kk610lt said:
I don't know...I've received tickets on "registered" vehicles in the past. Maybe they have improved on their technology recently. The problem is that you get a ticket in the mail with a few missed toll violations as far back as a year and then what do you do? Pay 'em.
Keith
The last two years of riding home from work on I-88 I've never had an I-Pass on the MC and have yet to get a snail-mail ticket. Again, I've had this verbally verified with the toll authorities and there is video recognition of your plate to bill against.

Jer

·
Registered
507 Posts
hawk20710 said:
Hi Folks, bought a 99LT with over 111M miles on her but she's a real beauty! I live in Northern Illinois and we have I-Pass to go through the toll booths. Can anyone tell me where to put the transponder? I put it in the cassette compartment but I don't think it works there from the one time I exited on Arlington Heights road. Thanks -K-:confused:
I made a mount for the iPass that fits on the sunshade of my Garmin out of an old acrylic license plate cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
832 Posts
gglove said:

I don't know about doing that.
Today, I received a violation notice from the Ill. Tollway Authority for 13 toll violations dating back as far as 11/16/2006. $7.20 in tolls and $260.00 in fines. My transponder is in working order and all info is up to date.

I have the older kind that "beeps" when you pass thru a toll. It doesn't always beep (tollways fault) and I have on occasion forgotten it (my fault).
They do not "run every plate at every toll" thru the database as someone in the forum said.

Play at your own risk.

Keith

·
1,243 Posts
kk610lt said:
I don't know about doing that.
Today, I received a violation notice from the Ill. Tollway Authority for 13 toll violations dating back as far as 11/16/2006. $7.20 in tolls and $260.00 in fines. My transponder is in working order and all info is up to date.

I have the older kind that "beeps" when you pass thru a toll. It doesn't always beep (tollways fault) and I have on occasion forgotten it (my fault).
They do not "run every plate at every toll" thru the database as someone in the forum said.

Play at your own risk.

Keith
Keith I check my account on-line at least once a week. I have one transponder linked to three cars two trailers and one motorcycle. I see the v-tolls recorded when I check on-line.
? did your CC expire.

I would argue your case if I was you.

·
Registered
832 Posts
gglove said:
Keith I check my account on-line at least once a week. I have one transponder linked to three cars two trailers and one motorcycle. I see the v-tolls recorded when I check on-line.
? did your CC expire.

I would argue your case if I was you.
Patrick,

Credit card info is all good. I have paid missed tolls online when I miss a bunch..like in one trip, but I don't feel like I should have to monitor that too....life's too short...guess I should. I use the tollway intermittently, not every day like a commute.

Will call tollway for sure....I think that they let you pay the toll and not the fine if your account is up to date. We'll see on Monday.

d*#m technology.. we've got to meet up soon.

Keith

·
1,243 Posts
kk610lt said:
Patrick,

Credit card info is all good. I have paid missed tolls online when I miss a bunch..like in one trip, but I don't feel like I should have to monitor that too....life's too short...guess I should. I use the tollway intermittently, not every day like a commute.

Will call tollway for sure....I think that they let you pay the toll and not the fine if your account is up to date. We'll see on Monday.

d*#m technology.. we've got to meet up soon.

Keith
I agree with you about the monitoring. I would hope that they would dismiss the fines because your account is up to date, but then again we are trying to be rational with non rational toll way authority :D

We for sure need to meet up, I just paid $78 for an oil change tech session please :)

·
Registered
832 Posts
kk610lt said:

Keith
Well, I am off the hook. Since I have an I-Pass account in good standing, I only had to pay the missed tolls. $7.40

Only had to be on hold for a half an hour......

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
kk610lt said:
Well, I am off the hook. Since I have an I-Pass account in good standing, I only had to pay the missed tolls. $7.40

Only had to be on hold for a half an hour......
Did you ask about the eToll (camera verified registration)?
I haven't looked at my account, nor have I gotten a mailed notice. Just wondering how you now feel about riding without an I-pass.

Jer

·
Registered
912 Posts
My iPass works best when mounted on the stationary triange of the window on the left side of the LT. I know, in theory, that IL will check your License Plate against the data base, but I do not know if any of the other states which accept the IPass will do the same.

Any ideas out there?

·
Registered
832 Posts
jers99lt said:
Did you ask about the eToll (camera verified registration)?
I haven't looked at my account, nor have I gotten a mailed notice. Just wondering how you now feel about riding without an I-pass.

Jer
They send you the notice with a picture of your vehicle for what that's worth......
I try not to ride or drive without the trandsponder, it's just that sometimes I realize that I left it on another bike or on the workbench etc.
Keith

1 - 20 of 21 Posts