BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
'18 R 1200 RT
41 Posts
I have the iliumworks engine and pannier guards. With respect to color, please take into account this response I got from them on touch-up after I dropped the bike once and left a minor scratch on the guard:

"It really depends on what color your guards are. If they are black, you could just sand the scratches with 120 then 400 grit paper then spraying with SEM Trim Black # 39143. If the bars are silver we recommend Color Rite PC Silver, contact Jenny @ 661-266-9471. If the bars are Iron Glimmer, they would have to be stripped and re-powdercoated. Please give us a call if you have any questions."

Now, with respect to highway pegs that you can attach to the engine guards, I don't recommend them at all. If you drop the bike, the highway pegs can twist on the guard's bar and scratch the cylinder head - the exact problem you want the guards there to prevent! One guy posted on another forum:

"The only caution I have is that in a parking lot tip over, the mount for the hwy peg did twist on the mount slightly and contacted the cylinder head leaving a small scratch."

I could tell that was a potential just looking at the design, which is why I never bought them.

As for the sport boards, I have them and love them. They fold up nicely when you put your feet down and drop back down easily when you pick your feet up after take off from a stop. This means that you don't get a hard hit on a severe lean, like you do with the pegs. They'll fold up. They are also lower than the pegs, which I like. But, the caveat is that it comes with a new side stand because the OEM one won't fit with the sportboards.

·
Registered
'18 R 1200 RT
41 Posts
Awesome, thank you for all of those details. Did you have to relocate the shifter and brake lever with the sport boards?
No, but they do sell an extension for the existing shifter, which I have and it works fine. I had the local dealer add these on for me, along with other customizations. So, not sure how much they adjusted the brake and shift levers up/down.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts