BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2019 R1250RT
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm just about to put in an order for Ilium crash bars for my 2019 R1250RT. I'm thinking I'd like some highway pegs. I was surprised to see so many options on Ilium's website. What have you guys tried and what do you like or dislike about them? They have a page on their website for "Which highway pegs should I get" but it appears to be broken. I've emailed Ilium in the meantime. I have about a 33-34" inseam.

Basically the options are upper mount fixed, upper mount adjustable, lower mount fixed, and lower mount adjustable. I've done some searching and reading and some people seem to think the upper ones are too high and too far of a reach. The adjustable option would fix the reach problem as I believe they stated you can bring them up to 5" closer.

The issue I see with the adjustable options is that the bar that the foot peg is able to slide back and forth on looks like it could bend into the valve cover in the case of a drop. Not sure if this is the case or not, I asked Ilium this.

The low mount pegs look like they may be more comfortable? I wonder how easy these would scrape when leaned over?

Anyone using their sport boards? Opinions on those?

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT
405 Posts
I'm using the adjustable on mine. I ha 32 inch inseam. I like mine a lot . I usually use them for about 10-15 min at a time. When they came out with the low ones I almost bought them and still might but happy for now. Really just use them to stretch. would love to hear some reviews on the low ones

Reactions: Audi403

·
Registered
2019 R1250RT
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm using the adjustable on mine. I ha 32 inch inseam. I like mine a lot . I usually use them for about 10-15 min at a time. When they came out with the low ones I almost bought them and still might but happy for now. Really just use them to stretch. would love to hear some reviews on the low ones
Thanks for the feedback. I'm leaning towards the high mount as I feel they will allow for more of a stretch with less of a bend in the knees. Also they would be less prone to dragging. Are you happy you went with adjustable? Do you think the fixed ones would have been too far of a stretch for you?

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT
405 Posts
I got the adjustable only incase the fixed were not comfortable. I'd rather be able to adjust than not. Might help when I sell one day

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT
405 Posts
When I put them on I adjusted them to where I felt the most comfortable. Not having tried the stationary mounted ones I can't tell you which is more comfy but at least with the adj ones you can set them to your comfort. With the stationary ones if they are not comfortable when you put them on then your stuck with them, thats why I went the way I did

·
Registered
'18 R 1200 RT
40 Posts
I have the iliumworks engine and pannier guards. With respect to color, please take into account this response I got from them on touch-up after I dropped the bike once and left a minor scratch on the guard:

"It really depends on what color your guards are. If they are black, you could just sand the scratches with 120 then 400 grit paper then spraying with SEM Trim Black # 39143. If the bars are silver we recommend Color Rite PC Silver, contact Jenny @ 661-266-9471. If the bars are Iron Glimmer, they would have to be stripped and re-powdercoated. Please give us a call if you have any questions."

Now, with respect to highway pegs that you can attach to the engine guards, I don't recommend them at all. If you drop the bike, the highway pegs can twist on the guard's bar and scratch the cylinder head - the exact problem you want the guards there to prevent! One guy posted on another forum:

"The only caution I have is that in a parking lot tip over, the mount for the hwy peg did twist on the mount slightly and contacted the cylinder head leaving a small scratch."

I could tell that was a potential just looking at the design, which is why I never bought them.

As for the sport boards, I have them and love them. They fold up nicely when you put your feet down and drop back down easily when you pick your feet up after take off from a stop. This means that you don't get a hard hit on a severe lean, like you do with the pegs. They'll fold up. They are also lower than the pegs, which I like. But, the caveat is that it comes with a new side stand because the OEM one won't fit with the sportboards.

·
Registered
2019 R1250RT
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the iliumworks engine and pannier guards. With respect to color, please take into account this response I got from them on touch-up after I dropped the bike once and left a minor scratch on the guard:

"It really depends on what color your guards are. If they are black, you could just sand the scratches with 120 then 400 grit paper then spraying with SEM Trim Black # 39143. If the bars are silver we recommend Color Rite PC Silver, contact Jenny @ 661-266-9471. If the bars are Iron Glimmer, they would have to be stripped and re-powdercoated. Please give us a call if you have any questions."

Now, with respect to highway pegs that you can attach to the engine guards, I don't recommend them at all. If you drop the bike, the highway pegs can twist on the guard's bar and scratch the cylinder head - the exact the problem you want the guards there to prevent! One guy posted on another forum:

"The only caution I have is that in a parking lot tip over, the mount for the hwy peg did twist on the mount slightly and contacted the cylinder head leaving a small scratch."

I could tell that was a potential just looking at the design, which is why I never bought them.

As for the sport boards, I have them and love them. They fold up nicely when you put your feet down and drop back down easily when you pick your feet up after take off from a stop. This means that you don't get a hard hit on a severe lean, like you do with the pegs. They'll fold up. They are also lower than the pegs, which I like. But, the caveat is that it comes with a new side stand because the OEM one won't fit with the sportboards.
Awesome, thank you for all of those details. Did you have to relocate the shifter and brake lever with the sport boards?

·
Registered
'18 R 1200 RT
40 Posts
Awesome, thank you for all of those details. Did you have to relocate the shifter and brake lever with the sport boards?
No, but they do sell an extension for the existing shifter, which I have and it works fine. I had the local dealer add these on for me, along with other customizations. So, not sure how much they adjusted the brake and shift levers up/down.

·
Registered
2019 R1250RT
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, but they do sell an extension for the existing shifter, which I have and it works fine. I had the local dealer add these on for me, along with other customizations. So, not sure how much they adjusted the brake and shift levers up/down.
They sell the shifter extension and also an adjustable brake lever which they made specifically for the sport boards.

Have you guys had issues with Ilium's customer service? I sent them an email on Friday with no response and another email yesterday with no response. Starting to consider finding alternative products from a different company.

·
Registered
2019 R1250RT
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm I guess they just don't like answering long emails with lots of questions lol. I called them and they sorted me out. They told me with my 33-34" inseam that there would be no need to get the adjustable pegs. They also recommended the low mount pegs. He told me the general consensus is that this is a more comfortable position. They recommended putting the bike on the center stand and sitting on it and simulating both positions. They also recommend both the shift extension and the adjustable brake lever with the sportboards. He told me if you keep the original brake lever position you have to lift your foot off the boards to reach it. He also said without the shifter extension you have to pigeon toe your foot to shift. Hope this helps someone else with the same questions.

·
Premium Member
2022 R1250RT
11 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm just about to put in an order for Ilium crash bars for my 2019 R1250RT. I'm thinking I'd like some highway pegs. I was surprised to see so many options on Ilium's website. What have you guys tried and what do you like or dislike about them? They have a page on their website for "Which highway pegs should I get" but it appears to be broken. I've emailed Ilium in the meantime. I have about a 33-34" inseam.

Basically the options are upper mount fixed, upper mount adjustable, lower mount fixed, and lower mount adjustable. I've done some searching and reading and some people seem to think the upper ones are too high and too far of a reach. The adjustable option would fix the reach problem as I believe they stated you can bring them up to 5" closer.

The issue I see with the adjustable options is that the bar that the foot peg is able to slide back and forth on looks like it could bend into the valve cover in the case of a drop. Not sure if this is the case or not, I asked Ilium this.

The low mount pegs look like they may be more comfortable? I wonder how easy these would scrape when leaned over?

Anyone using their sport boards? Opinions on those?
I am using and like the sport boards on a 2022 RT

·
Registered
2019 R1250RT
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I gave up on emailing them. They do not like to email. Which is a shame because they probably lose lots of business. I would have bought from another manufacturer if I could have found everything I wanted in stock somewhere else.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts