BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed the bar backs last night. Took about an hour and twenty minutes with the tool rental Ilium provides. Have not taken the bike out but I took a picture. I didn't think of taking a before so I had to estimate the original position on the left.

Attachments

·
Registered
632 Posts
the tool rental Ilium provides.
The really messed-up thing about that tool is that it is COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY! It's only after you get the barbacks, open the packaging, and then read the insert that says that the OEM bars can be removed by using a heat gun. That's exactly what I did.

Reactions: Pabst

·
Registered
219 Posts
The really messed-up thing about that tool is that it is COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY! It's only after you get the barbacks, open the packaging, and then read the insert that says that the OEM bars can be removed by using a heat gun. That's exactly what I did.
I would argue against that. On my 2018, the thread locker had cured on one side and not on the other. An easy tap on the uncured side and it slipped out. On the cured side, I needed the tool and a little heat.

The mystery was why did the thread locker cure on one side and not on the other.

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Reactions: Pabst

·
Registered
20 Posts
Do these allow you to change the angle of the levers more than the stock setup? I can't seem to get them down low enough for me and they sort of stick straight out. I'm pretty particular about my controls and would consider these if it allowed me to get a better angle.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Meh - doesn't look like it - really just risers, and not anything special. Your setup Jeff looks different than just risers though - am I missing something?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Meh - doesn't look like it - really just risers, and not anything special. Your setup Jeff looks different than just risers though - am I missing something?
Jeff's are exactly the same as all the other Ilium works raisers.
They can be set to be swiveled forward or back but there is no provision for twisting of the levers. They run parallel to and swivel about the axis of the original location.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I would argue against that. On my 2018, the thread locker had cured on one side and not on the other. An easy tap on the uncured side and it slipped out. On the cured side, I needed the tool and a little heat.

The mystery was why did the thread locker cure on one side and not on the other.
same experience here, when getting the barbacks, i read here that some didn't need the tool so i didnt rent the tool. i was not able to take off the bars without the tool. i tried heat gun but still failed.
after renting the tool, one side came off easy, but the clutch side was pain in the butt to take off, (did not use heat).

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Everything Ilium makes is first rate. I have their bar backs, engine and rear guard bars and their highway pegs.

Reactions: RJPsRT

·
Registered
10 Posts
Help needed. I installed my Ilium bar backs last night on my 2019 1250RT. Every thing when well until I went to start and nothing. In fact all the buttons on that side of the bars are dead (case lock, mode, starter button) there is no power at all. So I am assuming I disconnected something in the housing.
So I have two questions: Is there a plug inside the housing or is it soldered wires? How do you open the housing up? I only see one screw and it looks like it goes to the throttle.
Any help would be much appreciated. I live 40 miles to the dealership and do not want to pay for towing of a bike that is only a week old, this will not be a warranty issue because I caused it. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Same thing happened to me when I installed the BarBacks on my '15. It's been 3 years, so memory is fuzzy, but it was definitely something in the switch electronics in the case around the handlebar that I didn't line up right when reassembling. Just go back in there, make sure everything looks to be in place and fits, and I'll be that gets you going.

caz

·
Registered
10 Posts
Everything look right. I just want to know if there is a plug inside the housing? I checked the parts list and I now see there is a screw at the bottom of the housing. I just dont want to open it up and things start falling out. Has anyone had the housing open? And if so is there a plug or did rip a wire loose that would have to be replaced?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Everything look right. I just want to know if there is a plug inside the housing? I checked the parts list and I now see there is a screw at the bottom of the housing. I just dont want to open it up and things start falling out. Has anyone had the housing open? And if so is there a plug or did rip a wire loose that would have to be replaced?
Remove the screw and the bottom cover of the housing comes off.
There is a cable connector inside that easily is disconnected when installing the bar backs. Snap the connector back on and you'll be in business.

The same thing happened to me when I installed them a year ago.
No reason to panic.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I love 'em, so will you...

Makes a world of difference on any ride over an hr for me.

:smile:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts