BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for ideas on what can be done to clean my ignition switch. What happens is when I take the key out, the lights stay on for about a minute after then they cut off. If I toggle the key between off and acc then they shut off right away. This does not happen all the time but quite frequently. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Mike, you might try some electrical contact cleaner. Not sure if WD-40 would be what you'd want to use, but spray cleaner in a can with the "straw" to reach inside the lock. I'm not sure where anything in there would go. Might make a mess. You might try canned air like you'd use to blow dust off your computer keyboard.

HTH

·
Registered
594 Posts
I haven't ever dismantled LT ignition switch (and lock) but in those ignition switches I have been working with the "base"/electrical connections containing part is pretty well isolated from the lock above for obvious reasons. Possible oil sprayed might not ever reach the connectors...

So the problem might (just might) be you have something about to give up in the electrical part of the ignition switch. Parts loose or about to break (or something). To avoid any bigger, possible electrical damage I would look into situation pretty quickly and thoroughly.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
more likely to be sticking headlight relay than the ign switch else the motor wouldnt stop either.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Axle said:
more likely to be sticking headlight relay than the ign switch else the motor wouldnt stop either.
The only thing that shuts off is the engine, all lights and radio stay on for about 40 seconds

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok replaced the electrical portion of the ignition switch, and the lights still stay on. This includes all lights, radio, gps etc. The only thing that shuts off is the engine. I am out of ideas.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts