BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I have developed a problem with the ignition on my 05 RT in that when I turn the key the bike does not respond. I have to do this 2/3 times before it engages. I have been given the reason in that it is the unit at the base of the ignition but have been told there is no replacement unit available for the 05 model. My local dealer can fit the replacement unit that is available but has to splice a wire into the harness to power the Radio/CD. The new unit does not have the facility to power the Radio/CD.
My question is has anyone Stateside with an 05 RT experienced this problem and have your dealers any solution for this or can they obtain the correct unit other than cutting into wires that seems a bit primitive on a 10k bike.

·
Registered
955 Posts
It's not clear if your problem is with the actual ignition switch, or with the EWS ring that reads the chip in your key. I've not heard of switch problems, but EWS failures were common on early R12s, though I would not expect that to affect the radio wiring. Before modifying the wiring I'd look for a used part.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ikraus, Managed to locate a used part from same year bike, received this morning and fitted PM. Everything back to normal and have my Radio/CD. thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts