BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm dumb, ego is shot and I'm embarrassed. Should have shut off the bike. I live on the SE coast of Florida and have to deal with the "perpetually up" lift bridges over the Intercoastal Waterway. This morning, of course, the bridge was up. As I take my place among a hundred or so vehicles waiting for the bridge I figured I'd put her on the side stand, put my feet up on the boards and relax while waiting for the bridge. So, I put down and made sure the sidestand was fully extended and firm, put my right foot up on the board, crossed my arms comfortably and began putting my left foot up on the board. Unfortunately, I was too dumb to shut the bike off so it was idling in neutral. As I placed my left foot on the board I also hit the shift lever, instantly putting it in to first gear, the bike lurched forward and I went down. Right foot got caught between the board and the brake lever in the process. It was pretty hard to look cool anymore, so I squatted and "assumed the position" to lift up the LT; someone seeing my dilemma was thoughtful enough to come over and help me right the bike and I was soon on my way. I'm sure everyone else had a good laugh. The ankle is currently bruised and swollen; no damage to the bike. In the future I'll better plan my wait, which will include shutting off the bike. Ah, the things you learn when you're dumb.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
You're foot will heal...probably sooner than your ego unfortunately.

At the risk of insulting you, here's some food for thought. Never sit on your bike with it in Neutral, whether it's running or not.
  • Come to a stop with bike in 1st gear, clutch in.
  • Shut off bike. Let out clutch.
  • Roll bike forward, put down kickstand.
  • Put bike on kickstand, then relax.
The only time my bike's are in Neutral is when I'm working on them and they are on the centerstand.

Maybe this post isn't for you. But someone out there may benefit from this information.

·
Registered
467 Posts
????????????????

NascaLT said:
Ah, the things you learn when you're dumb.

???????????????????????
The things you learn if you are human!!!!!!!!!

Don't beat yourself up Sam. It might be me you just saved by sharing. Thanks

PS Hope you heal fast!!

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Or you could just be so freaking tired that you back it in to your hotel spot, totally forget about the sidestand, and just get off and watch it flop over! ;)

·
Registered
412 Posts
You might have just saved someone else from a humbling experience! Thanks for sharing and I hope the Ankle gets better soon!

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
The beauty of an LT is only skin deep.

It's a human creation - when it's doing what it was designed to do, the way it was designed to do it - it's very pleasing to most.

However, being human created, it's far from perfect. Yea, gravity still sucks. When she's in a position contrary to designed operation - I don't care who you are, there simlply ain't no way to look good. BUT, to get it back up and going on - now that's grace :thumb:

·
Registered
855 Posts
Embarrassment is a waste of time. Things are going to happen, & most of the time people will be more concerned about your welfare than "the incident". Remember how you feel when you see a friend with a problem?

It was just another data point on a learning curve. Thanks for passing it on, & start saving gas at those bridges.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
When you hit the ground you should have yelled "DOH"!!!!!!!

:histerica

·
Registered
53 Posts
messenger13 said:
You're foot will heal...probably sooner than your ego unfortunately.

At the risk of insulting you, here's some food for thought. Never sit on your bike with it in Neutral, whether it's running or not.
  • Come to a stop with bike in 1st gear, clutch in.
  • Shut off bike. Let out clutch.
  • Roll bike forward, put down kickstand.
  • Put bike on kickstand, then relax.
The only time my bike's are in Neutral is when I'm working on them and they are on the centerstand.

Maybe this post isn't for you. But someone out there may benefit from this information.
Excellent summary. I omitted step three earlier this year and almost lost her.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
don't know if it'll make you feel any better about it, but i'm purty sure most of us have pulled dumbass moves as bad or worse.

i once rebuilt the front end of a GL1100, then reassembled it WITHOUT refilling the radiator. there was coolant in the reservoir but none in the plumbing. i then proceeded to ride the bike to work ... and back ... for three days before discovering my stupidity. the temp gauge didn't read high because no fluid was in there.

the most amazing thing: i filled the radiator and rode the bike another two years before selling it. never missed a beat.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Keith said:
Or you could just be so freaking tired that you back it in to your hotel spot, totally forget about the sidestand, and just get off and watch it flop over! ;)
Thank God I'm no longer alone on this one!

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Keith said:
Or... you could have put the LT on the centerstand and then gone around to the back of the bike and leaned up against the top case to chat with someone, only to watch it roll forward off the centerstand. :eek:

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Painterman said:
There should be a safety switch on the side stand. My bike won't run if I put the side stand down.
Hi, Gary - Toad will start, and idle, with the sidestand down IF we're in neutral gear. And of course, will start and run with the clutch dis-engaged by the clutch lever

·
IBR# 366
16,545 Posts
Seems other folks agree, too.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
hschisler said:
Or... you could have put the LT on the centerstand and then gone around to the back of the bike and leaned up against the top case to chat with someone, only to watch it roll forward off the centerstand. :eek:
Dumb, Dee Dumb, Dumb. ;) :D

·
Registered
296 Posts
Thanks For Sharing!

Good write-up, makes me think twice about waiting for a light in neutral...

:bmw: Bruce

(FWIW: Pulled into a storage unit on my Montauk... Shut off the bike... Started to dismount... Hmmm.... bike sure is leaning left in a hurry... Doh!!! Kickstand isn't down!!! Sort of caught/stopped the fall without any damage to the bike. Only had my Bride watching me being stupid...)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts