BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably not very relevant to LT usage, but I came across this on YouTube and thought it interesting. It really shows the advantage of synthetic oils over conventional at cold temps. I have used Mobil 1 since 1977 mainly for cold start performance during our Pennsylvania winters.

What surprised me was the range of performance of the three synthetic brands. Enjoy if you are at all curious about oil and extreme cold. If you live south of the Mason-Dixon, move along - nothing to see here.
:smile:

·
Registered
207 Posts
that's quite enlightening.. not surprised at Amsoil.. Although a great oil, the biggest advantage is their advertising. Mobil 1 has been my choice of oils for a long long time, but on the LT, I stick with Castrol.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's quite enlightening.. not surprised at Amsoil.. Although a great oil, the biggest advantage is their advertising. Mobil 1 has been my choice of oils for a long long time, but on the LT, I stick with Castrol.
Likewise. I rarely ride below freezing (ice and road salt) nor above 100 so the benefits of synthetic don't come into play much. So, I buy Castrol conventional oil and use the savings to buy gas.
:smile:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts