BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 model, 16,400 kms....never a problem until today.

Started fine, idles fine but when I twist the throttle the engine wants to die. I made it to the dealer from my office by revving up and slipping the clutch til I was moving. As long as the revs were high and I kept her in 1st or 2nd gear I was able to move. The engine wasn't missing at higher rev range but picking up from idle was hopeless. Unfortunately the one and only dealer said he was so busy he can't look at it for two weeks, (off road training and bike preparations).

Any help / suggestions /ideas would be really appreciated.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Fill it up lately? Canisterectomy been performed? Check for Woosh sound when removing fuel cap? Or maybe crappy or contaminated fuel?.....Thats all the simple stuff I can think of

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to Ron and Rich for taking the time to post replies. Plan to pick up the bike from the dealer and limp home and take a look at some of the simple stuff. Too impatient to wait two weeks for the dealer to get around to it! Update to follow.....

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Look what I found...many thanks to Ron for his starting point suggestions.

Guess the split was small enough to deliver sufficient fuel to allow starting and idling but as soon as power was required fuel pressure was opening up the split and heading straight back into the tank.

Oh dear....all that plastic to put back on!!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
I got lucky... ;)

Probably a good idea to change out the large "flange" gasket at the bottom of the tank where the cap screws on while you're at it. For an extra $11.00 it's money well spent. Also change the air filter - I'm sure there's PLENTY of fine dust where you live. :D

Take your time putting the tupper ware back on, it's a bit daunting the first time.

·
Registered
478 Posts
for shure you have it stripped. do all your service work & give the hole bike a cleaning and inspection.it will save you a lot of dealer $,s later.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sure will Bob,

I will have plenty of time to do other checks as the dealer has told me around 10 days to deliver a new lower gasket and fuel hose replacement parts. Already changed the air filter and plan to change the fuel tank mounting bushes as rubber doesn't fair to well over here.

Regards....Brian

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a note to say the bike is running sweet again, however, I did have to remove the tank again after refitting as the fuel level wiring fell behind the tank when I removed it and I didn't see it the first time around. The orange low level light came on when tested the engine after rebuilding but I thought that was due to having only a dribble of fuel in the tank to make handling the tank on and off easier.

Advise taping it up to the handlebar when it's unplugged, apart from that the whole affair went very well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts