BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new the the K1200LT and the lack of the old fashioned carbs. My bike sat idle for a year before I bought it. It sputtered a little when I started to riding it, but after new fuel and a few miles it now it runs fine. I recently replaced the air and fuel filter along with new plugs.

The weather is getting cooler now and I'm not sure what normal is with throttle body injectors in the heat or the cold. When I clutch and shift between gears the RPM's remain a little on the high side. Also, if I clutch the bike on the highway it takes a few seconds for the RPM's to return to 1,000, but it does make it there. At idle the bike occasionally idles a little high for a few seconds, but always comes back down to 1K. If you goose it a little to move up in traffic and then clutch it, the RPM's will go hold at about 1500 for a few seconds, then return to 1,000.

Is this normal? Am I over thinking this?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
no its not normal, first start cold it may go up to about 1200rpm for a minute or so to compensate for the richer fuel mixture then drop top a solid 8-900rpm. if you let go the throttle it should immeadiately drop to idle speed. how stiff is the throttle? maybe try some fuel cleaner, I think you might have a vacumn leak
HTH

·
Registered
322 Posts
My idle was behaving the same way until I did the canisterectomy. I suspect the purge valve was not operating properly. It idles rock solid now and my gas mileage went up too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. I have a Clymer manual and I'm sure the vacuum hose check and canister procedures are listed. But just so I know how much time to allow....do I have to remove the tank, etc. for these?

Also, when I remove the cover there is a faint trace of fuel vapors that I can smell. Nothing major, but enough to notice. Is this a carbon canister issue. (I have recentlychanged the O-rings in the fuel quick disconnect lines when I changed the air and fuel filters).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, with the above conditons stated, is it possible to damage the motor or dilute the oil with a high idle if it has been or will be ridden in the current state?

·
Registered
552 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts