BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was getting my bike ready to do the Circle Tour around Lake Superior, changing fluids, new sneakers, etc. when I noticed a small leak in the front brake line. Ordered the Spiegler brake lines and began the install. Everything was going fine (Kirk's videos are great) until I buggered up one of the banjo bolts :mad:. I don't own a welder of any kind to weld a nut on and take it off that way. Anyone have an idea how I can get the bolt off? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
I was getting my bike ready to do the Circle Tour around Lake Superior, changing fluids, new sneakers, etc. when I noticed a small leak in the front brake line. Ordered the Spiegler brake lines and began the install. Everything was going fine (Kirk's videos are great) until I buggered up one of the banjo bolts :mad:. I don't own a welder of any kind to weld a nut on and take it off that way. Anyone have an idea how I can get the bolt off? Thanks.
A picture of how you buggered it would help a lot.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,260 Posts
At this point it is best to remove the hard line on the other end and take the unit off the bike and put it in a vise. Then use a cold chisel to knock the banjo loose. Too flimsy to do it that way on the bike. Or if you have a Dremel tool and a carbide cutting wheel you could cut a slot on the banjo bolt and use a big flat blade.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cutting a slot on the bolt with a dremel and using a big blade worked. With 'wrencher extraordinaire' under your name, I knew it had to. Thanks, John. :toast: Just waiting now for the replacement bolt. $21 for one bolt at the dealer, $12.30 on Ebay for 5. Should anyone need one...

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
I stripped out the middle. Of course, it has to be the most awkward one to reach.
Probably have to do what John suggested as it looks too far gone for much else, but you might try the next size larger allen bit dipped in rubbing compound and lightly tapped into the bolt.

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
Cutting a slot on the bolt with a dremel and using a big blade worked. With 'wrencher extraordinaire' under your name, I knew it had to. Thanks, John. :toast: Just waiting now for the replacement bolt. $21 for one bolt at the dealer, $12.30 on Ebay for 5. Should anyone need one...
And when you put the bolt back in, take 80% of the BMW torque spec and use that first. If nothing leaks, then great. If it leaks, loosen the bolt and torque again to 90% of the torque spec. Only go to 100% if you need to for a leak-free seal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts