BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to see if I can find a machine shop to buy the hex stock for the 9/16 for the trans drain. Just wondered what length it should be, and if the exact length allows to drain without having to remove the exhaust hanger? I don't have the skid plate.

Auto zone did have a listing for the 14mm, 3 pc kit, but they have not had one in stock that I have seen, AND, the guy wouldn't order it? That was a 50 mile drive.

Thank you!

·
Registered
938 Posts
a bolt with two nuts is perfect in length. I just welded one on the end. You will still need to remove the exhaust hanger and skidplate.

·
Registered
161 Posts
For an inexpensive and quick build-it-yourself tool, take your 14mm socket with you to home depot, loew's etc. Find the rack with a selection of continuous threaded rod and look for the hex-shaped connector for joining two pieces of threaded rod. Even though they are imperial sized you will find one that is very close to 14mm. (check by putting it in the socket). The connectors are approximately 1 1/2" long and will fit in the socket, yet protrude far enough to seat in the recess in the transmission drain plug. If you wish to make it a little stronger thread a bolt (loctite on the bolt) through the connector and flush cut both ends. Works and cheap - you may have to grind the end of the connector flat before use as both ends are slightly chamfered and may slip in the drain plug recess. Grinding the end flat will make it look much like an allen key.

Steve Collier
'05 KLT

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
yechave said:
I am going to see if I can find a machine shop to buy the hex stock for the 9/16 for the trans drain. Just wondered what length it should be, and if the exact length allows to drain without having to remove the exhaust hanger? I don't have the skid plate.

Auto zone did have a listing for the 14mm, 3 pc kit, but they have not had one in stock that I have seen, AND, the guy wouldn't order it? That was a 50 mile drive.

Thank you!
Hey, Wayne - when you gonna do the tranny drain thang? Soon??

I gotta extry 14mm drain plug socket thangie - don't want any shekels for it (unless you want overnight delivery, then reimburse me for that) - shoot me your snail mail addy by PM or e-mail and I'll put it in the delivery system tamale. K??

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,172 Posts
yechave said:
I don't have the skid plate.
You do want a skid plate. Long story short, trying to ride up a ramp on my 99 without the skid plate, the bottom part of the center stand got caught and yanked off. Problem is that the center stand mounts are part of the transmission casing!!!
A skid plate would have saved me a lot of trouble!!!:(

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whew, more stuff to put on the list.......

Not planning on doing the trans fluid till about May, if I live that long. Appreciate the offer!! I should be able to handle that problem.

The LT is officially snowed in, and probably will be now till April. No garage and the ice stays in the driveway long after the streets are clear.

Seeing how much difficulty it has been finding what I do need, I figured I better get started now.

I rationalized by not not having the skid plate, it gave me a little more clearance...plus, someone rode it for 40k miles and I don't see any damage....... but, now I have to see if I can find one of those too.

Last month was new tires and brakes. So far this week, we've spent a whopping $1800...........shocks, headset, tools, service manual. Still NEED aux lights, switch, mirrors, skid plate, the PS DVD#4, a Valentine 1, a jack for the front shock replacement, some misc farkles and another 0%'r to help pay for it all.

"Another day older and deeper in debt!"

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Sometimes "buying new" has advantages.

If you get one of the "all thread" rod "connectors" in 9/16 you'll probably find it fits the 14mm nicely.

However, what I did... silly me... was go to an "industrial" bolt shop. They sell individual tools. So, got a 14mm HEX wrench, took it home, used my Dremel "cut-off" blade to hack the wrench into several pieces... works perfect.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Red Locktite

Has anyone successfully done the '2 nuts + bolt' thing using Red Locktite??

·
Registered
637 Posts
The idea of using an extra long 9/16 nut (officially they are called a coupling nut in USA) is a good one.

·
Registered
938 Posts
sparky_k1200lt said:
Has anyone successfully done the '2 nuts + bolt' thing using Red Locktite??
I saw a few in NC. I just decided to weld mine. I'll see if i can take a picture and post it tonight. If you're worried about it not holding use JB-Weld.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I use a standard 14mm socket allen. I stick it in the plug and use an open end wrenck to turn it.

Works great.

Joe

1 - 12 of 12 Posts