BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 2002 LT with the BMW Com System the one made by J&M. I would like to connect a Icom IC-F21GM to it. I can not find a cable to do this. J & M makes a cable that will work for Kenwood Free Talk and Motorola T-series for their Integratr IV. Same cable as the BMW cable. I call J & M and they do not (will not) make a cable for the Icom. So my question. Is there anyone that knows how to make a cable (pin outs) or what do you do to get sound to your helmet speakers. Any help would be very appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Raffy. I searched and the only posts that I found were by James Goodchild. When I try to open the attachment all I get is garbage. So anyone anyone????

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
James made one for me in 2005. I was going to change the stereo jacks he put on with a iCom moulded connector. It appears the end that connects to the Comm system is an old computer mouse cable. The pin connections are unknown to me until I strip off the shrink tube and see what he's made.

James... you out there in Canada land?

·
Registered
860 Posts
This is the wiring diagram I use...

Good luck...

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I e-mailed John (owner) at J & M this is what he sent me as a reply. "The code for that plug and cables is quite complex and depends solely upon the code used for the particular radio it is made for and also it's PTT activation configuration. I have no one here that can make a custom cable for one particular FRS/GMRS radio" I do not know what this means but it may be that I can't get there from here. So I know that I can connect a Kenwood Free talk or a Motorola Talk-About (T series) as J & M does make a cable that will work. Question any thoughts which one would work better? Thanks Duane

(UncleMark) Thanks for diagram. I have the 1st ComSystem the one that came with the tape player. My bike was one of the first to get the CD player instead of the tape player so I do not think the wiring for the Voice II will work

·
Registered
311 Posts
How about buying an inexpensive earbud/lapel mic for the Icom and the appropriate wire for the Kenwood to your bike. It should be fairly easy to use an ohm meter to figure out what the corresponding wires are in each. Then, just cut and splice the Kenwood wire to the Icom plug. You should be good to go.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Duane
Using a ICOM F21gm myself I know that if a custom cable is needed that Richard at RKA may be able to help (I am using a Starcom 1 comm system). He has a person he uses for custom cable needs and might be able to help. RKA is in Windsor not too far from you, his website is www.rka-luggage.com
Larry

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Steve, Larry thanks for the thoughts. I have a cable coming from J & M. When it gets here I will call Richard. Never thought of Richard even tho I have know him since 2002 when I got my tank bag from him. Good Ideas.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: Well I called Richard, the guy that did cables for them has moved to Texas and they no longer have contact. They did say that he road an LT. At this point I will try to find where the Ham radio club meets and see if I can find someone there. If this does not work then I will cut into the cable I got from J & M and see if I can make something, just hope I do not do some damage to the com system.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have the original manual from my BMW branded J&M com system with the disc player. It shows the pin hookups for the Adapter Harnesses for the hookups for the Motorola Talk-About, Motorola Talk-About T-Series and the Kenwood Freetalk. Is this what you are looking for or are you looking for what the pinout is for the ICom? Depending on the radio, it looks like the hookups are different. Some pins get jumpered together on one radio and not others. Some pins are used for one radio and not others. So just getting a cord from J&M for one of these radios may not give you the correct hookup for the ICOM. I don't have a scanner, but could probably have my wife take it to work and get it scanned if it would help you.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Carl, thank you for your offer but I also have the manual with the pin outs. What I am unsure about is the Icom do I need jumpers on the pins or not. I will jump right in on anything mechanical but when it comes to radio stuff I just do not understand. So therefor my fear that I will fry ether the Com system or the Icom. But I will keep trying until it is working or find out this can not be done. Just need to talk to the right person with the knowledge. That is why I thought a Ham might be of help.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I think you're on the right track with a local ham club. You're likely to find several guys with the ability to get this right and do it quickly. What you're asking to do is pretty simple for a guy who knows his way around a schematic, an ohm meter and a soldering iron. LOL. The ham guys live for stuff like this.

Cliffy109 aka K4GUN

·
Registered
370 Posts
ltride said:
Carl, thank you for your offer but I also have the manual with the pin outs. What I am unsure about is the Icom do I need jumpers on the pins or not. I will jump right in on anything mechanical but when it comes to radio stuff I just do not understand. So therefor my fear that I will fry ether the Com system or the Icom. But I will keep trying until it is working or find out this can not be done. Just need to talk to the right person with the knowledge. That is why I thought a Ham might be of help.
When you figure it out, please post your results. A number of my local BMW club members are going the family radio route, so I will need to eventually hookup an ICOM. Thanks

·
Registered
311 Posts
There is another option, although there are a few things which need discussed. There is a new ham radio made by the Chinese called the Puxing PX777 UHF. It does something that I'm not sure how they get away with. The FCC must "type accept" radios for use in the GMRS/FRS services. Ham radios can't be used to transmit on those frequencies.

Well, somehow or another, these radios are being imported legally and they can transmit all through the UHF ham band (commonly called the 70 cm band) and it can also transmit in the GMRS and FRS frequency range with a full 5 watts and it has a detachable antenna.

The Puxing radio uses the standard Kenwood interface cable. The pin out is identical to all the Kenwood talkies so your regular Kenwood interface cables will work.

There are two down sides here. First is that you'll have to program in the frequencies. Because this is a ham radio, it does not have "channels" built in. That's an easy thing to deal with. There are several sources on the web that will tell you the exact frequencies of the FRS and GMRS channels. You can also program in the PL tones so you will not hear those using the same channels that have are not part of your group.

The other down side is that it might be illegal to use these. I'm a little shaky on this part. I know that one can't modify ham equipment and use it in the GMRS/FRS band. These radios don't need modified though. The FCC type acceptance system should have kept these radios out of the US because of this.

I'm not saying this is a great solution. The radios are very cheap on e-bay ($68 delivered) and have very good reviews that I've read. I'm very unclear on the legallity of using them as GMRS radios. I also want to warn users that if they use them in the 70 cm ham band without a ham license, that is VERY illegal and could subject you to still fines and penalties. I'm just throwing this out for educational purposes.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
J&M has/had an exclusive contract with BMW and after 2005 ceased making the "200" Motorola cable that works with the ICOM. When the new updated LT came out BMW agreed to only support Kenwood FRS/GMRS radios. These radios use a dual pin connector on the radio side. One is 2.5mm stereo and the other 3.5mm stereo. For most of the free world, the 3.5 is used for the headset and the 2.5 for the microphone/PTT. However, Kenwood is the reverse. This is the problem. If you have a Kenwood tipped cable you can cut and splice it to work properly by reversing the contacts on the radio side. Many riders want longer cables so they can run them up to their handlebars or other places further than the tankbag. The radios work MUCH better when elevated and off to one side. They are line of sight after all. I will attach a schematic of the "200" cable below originally dissected by James Goodchild. "IF" you want a longer cable and have the BC 2 or 3 that uses the six-pin connector, you can use an old computer mouse or keyboard cable. The six-pin is the same as used on the BC comm systems. You need to identify the pins and separate by color. Then match them up with your radio side dual pin connector. Solder the contacts as they get jumbled during rides more than you might think. Shrink-wrap individually then together and viola!

No one currently makes the appropriate connector cable for any of the original BMW comm, BC, or Voice units. Even the J&M integrator cable for Motorola is not correct as it has a single pin radio connector.(wrong type) The place to start is with the correct tip connectors, then modify. I spent a good deal of time on this project 3-4 years ago and am now trying to help new EXR riders with older LTs get up to speed with the ICOMs. We may have an opportunity to order a batch of custom cables. They would run about $15 each and we'd need to order at least 25 in two different configurations to get everyone wired up correctly. We have also been in contact with J&M about the FACT that the Kenwood TK-3131 FRS/GMRS radio upon which the entire BMW contract was based is no longer in production and virtually unavailable new. Kenwood Professional Radios is now out of the GMRS market, not making a replacement. The ICOM is a far superior radio in power, sound quality, waterproofing, and military solder specs. It's not hard to make/modify your cables once you have the right tips. If you're not comfortable doing the actual soldering work, find someone with some experience and the equipment to do it. Everyone knows a lovable electronics geek! It would be great if someone like J&M would step up to the plate do it for us as many of us already own "their" BC units and they used to supply the appropriate cables like the "200" to BMW to work with non-Kenwood radios. However, I believe they are still under contract or non-competition clause with BMW/Kenwood for the present.

Happy Soldering!

·
Registered
370 Posts
I spent a good deal of time on this project 3-4 years ago and am now trying to help new EXR riders with older LTs get up to speed with the ICOMs. We may have an opportunity to order a batch of custom cables. They would run about $15 each and we'd need to order at least 25 in two different configurations to get everyone wired up correctly.

Bob,

If you do get the point of ordering some cables, could you add me to your list of buyers? Not too into the intricate soldering job this would take. Would like to go to an ICOM to communicate with others in my local BMW club. Have a 2003 LT with the BMW branded J&M com system/CD player.

Maybe we could get a group buy going here.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
sprdoorman said:
Bob,

If you do get the point of ordering some cables, could you add me to your list of buyers? Not too into the intricate soldering job this would take. Would like to go to an ICOM to communicate with others in my local BMW club. Have a 2003 LT with the BMW branded J&M com system/CD player.

Maybe we could get a group buy going here.
Carl,

Sounds like you have the BC3. It connects GMRS though a six pin connector in the center of the console inside the oddments box. I "may" have one of my earlier creations of this cable. I'll check around this weekend. Send a PM if you're interested.

The BMW Comm and Voice units use a dual tip connector on both ends. This includes the last version, the VOICE II. There has been some discussion that the VOICE II requires a powered or boosted microphone to work properly with the ICOM. Personally, I don't believe this after studying the schematics of the Kenwood TK3131 and VOICE II. The ICOM certainly doesn't require it. This is tentamount to saying there is a booster mechanism in the connector cable sold by BMW for the VOICE II for the Kenwood TK radios. What I believe is actually the case is the requirement to maintain a shield line during your splicing and dicing.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Talleyho,

I have a question about that pin-out diagram you posted for the Icom pins. I have been having a problem finding a wire for my autocom that will work with my Yaesu/Vertex ham radio. Its easy to find Kenwood and Icom plugs to the Autocom, but not the unusual pin of the waterproof Yasesu radios.

I just discovered that Yaesu makes a TNC wire that looks like it will work between the VX170 and the Autocom Icom adapter wire. Would you mind taking a look at this plug and letting me know if it will work to plug the two part plug into it?

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have now answered my own question. I bought that cable for the Yaesu VX radio and attached it to the Icom-Autocom interface cable and it works perfectly. That is a big deal. My wife and I both have ham radio licenses and both have Yaesu radios. We could only find one Yaesu interface cable. I can't even find the thing listed on any web sites. Meanwhile, the Icom cable is a lot easier.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts