BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if there is a way to shut off the ice warning once you notice its flashing?

It gets a little annoying seeing it flash as you go on down the road...

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Teach said:
Just wondering if there is a way to shut off the ice warning once you notice its flashing?

It gets a little annoying seeing it flash as you go on down the road...
Teach -

I believe that the ice warning (wee snowflake) shows up when the temp drops below 37F, and it shows up no matter what mode you were in on the info screen.

I seem to recall, though, that pushing the info button cancelled it unless you were in the "Temperature" mode.

I usually only see the wee snowflake when I go over the Grapevine at night in the winter, so my observation may be faulty as the temperature could have coincidentally risen to over 36F.

I would look into it tonight as I go over, but here in SoCal we're havin' a heatwave, a tropical heatwave, doo do dee do doo doo, dee doo dooo dee doo doo...

Tom

·
Registered
726 Posts
Good Morning. I do not think you can turn it off. I noticed your in California. Lucky you :)
I see the snow flake ALL the time :histerica

·
Registered
545 Posts
Risky said:
Good Morning. I do not think you can turn it off. I noticed your in California. Lucky you :)
I see the snow flake ALL the time :histerica
Hey Risky, love the water cooled boxer.... :histerica

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Can you imagine the liability someone would assume should they tell you how to defeat a safety system or do it for you? You would promise not to sue them, right?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
The last time I saw it last year was in July............then I didn't see it again until nearly the end of August............?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Gee, how did we ever know things like this before they were invented? Maybe ice on the road is a new thing, something to do with Global Cooling???

Garry

·
Registered
955 Posts
My snowflake was flashing this am on the way to work - 26 degrees. I hit the BC button to get back to my mpg display. It stayed on mpg for the remaining 3 miles. 2006 RT

·
Registered
127 Posts
Seriously....your riding when it is -26 ??? Or was your bike on an open trailer being pulled by your truck? I live in Alaska, and work in -50F temps....but I'm not riding my motorcycle at -26, that's for sure!

You rule !!!

P.S. Risky.... Love the water cooled boxer pic!!!

Alaskan

·
Registered
453 Posts
12R12RT said:
Teach -

I believe that the ice warning (wee snowflake) shows up when the temp drops below 37F, and it shows up no matter what mode you were in on the info screen.

I seem to recall, though, that pushing the info button cancelled it unless you were in the "Temperature" mode.

Tom
You are correct. Just recently I have been having the flashing snowflake, in the morning. For the metric people it appears on or below 3°C.

From my understanding anything which is necessary to warn the rider (low air temp, tyre pressure etc) it will switch to that setting irrespective where you were on the board computer, and flash until you acknowledge its existence by pressing the BC/info button. Then it will stop the flashing.

Best regards
Adam

·
Registered
955 Posts
Alaskan said:
Seriously....your riding when it is -26 ??? Or was your bike on an open trailer being pulled by your truck? I live in Alaska, and work in -50F temps....but I'm not riding my motorcycle at -26, that's for sure!

You rule !!!

Alaskan
Sorry, poorly applied punctuation, should have just said 26F.
With clear, dry roads my limit last winter was 20F for about 20 minutes, on a '82 Seca 650. This winter is my first with an RT and it has been too mild to find the limit. The full fairing has greatly reduced the amount of layers I need at any given temp; the heated grips are nice, but I seem to forget to turn them on.

My record low was 5F on a 1971 CB100 with hand grip wind deflectors made of gallon milk jugs and duct tape. Ice, snow, salt and slush on the roads. Young, poor and stupid. Not young any more.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Alaskan said:

You rule !!!

P.S. Risky.... Love the water cooled boxer pic!!!

Alaskan
Alaskan. Last year I rode down to the Louisville Truck show April 1st on my RT and when I crossed the Bridge to enter Detroit it was -16c and did not warm up till I hit Dayton Ohio. When I arrived in Louisville KY it was +26C (thank God!)

·
Registered
444 Posts
Actually I think the alert is a good idea, a good reminder for possible slippery conditions on bridges, etc.

At least it is not like the BMW cars, they flash and have and audible alert as well. You can be cruising along and all of a sudden chimes start going off. Every time it happens you go What The H*** is happening now! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thanks for clearing up the temp questions. I was starting to feel like a wimp, putting my RT away for the winter. I was wondering if I should stud the tires and keep riding on all the snow and ice up here!! Thanks for bringing me back to reality!!

We have had a ton of snow this year. I think Anchorage is only about 6" shy of setting an all time record for snow fall for the season. I am sure it will be the first week of May before I can ride my RT !! Good thing I have snowmachines to play on!!

Alaskan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.