BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2005 LT with 54k miles. It was dealer serviced through 36k and I have taken care of it since. Riding near home the other day and the general warning light came on and the brake failure began flashing at the high rate. Turned off the ignition and restarted the the bike, both remained off. At the first stop above parking lot speed the general warning light lit again and the brake failure light began to flash at the high rate, this time without resetting on restart. The rear brake seems to be operating normally. When I applied the front brake, it seemed the servo was engaging and disengaging. This was more violent than the ABS function and the bike would nose dive when it engaged. It did this twice and then had only residual braking, regardless how hard the lever was pulled.

Since this occurred I have replaced the brake pads which were worn but were not down to the bottom of the wear indicators. I have flushed the brakes (all 4 circuits) and the fluid was a deep gold color, not excessively dark. The battery is 1 year old and is maintained on an automatic battery tender. You can hear the servo run when either the front or rear brake is applied, however the front remains on residual braking. While bleeding the front it was necessary to pump the fluid through with the lever, while the servo bled the rear.

Any ideas other than 150 miles to the dealer?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,911 Posts
Sounds like an ABS "Brain" failure. Not much you can do but replace the unit. Get the failure readout from the dealer or some one with a GS-911 unit but don't get yer hopes up for a cheap fix.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I'm new here but have been reading threads for quite a while, anything technical and to do with ABS or Rear drives etc....! Some pretty good wrenches on this site, I like that.

Anyway, if this may help you or others, these guys apparently repair BMW ABS modulators. I say apparently because we haven't heard back from someone else on another forum who inquired, but this came through a GS rider on yet another forum.

This may be of interest to other riders faced with the expensive ABS failure...as for myself all I can do is ride my K1200RS and hope for the best. :bmw:

http://www.modulemaster.com/en/index.php

1 - 3 of 3 Posts