BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was able to pick up a used ABS unit and got it installed in my 2006 K1200 LT. It works great and I have now bled the static and the wheel circuits. The brakes function fine and there is no longer the high frequency error light/triangle on the dash. There IS still a low frequency Brake Failure light that in reading sounds like just a residual error that needs reset. i have not put the bike all back together because and am hesitant to do so until I know the issue is resolved.

I did read somewhere about the ABS error light not going off until the bike is actually ridden. is this correct? If not, is there a procedure to clear the error on the later model ABS systems>

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Your ABS self-checks every time you ride it. There will be a warning lamp until it "sees" the bike moving. No, you can't just spin the wheels to fool it, if that thought happened to cross your mind.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Dean,

Thanks so much for the info, I had read that this was a possibility, but didn't want to sped the time putting things all back together only to have to tear it all back apart. I'll get things put back together enough to take it around the block. I noticed you are in Topeka. I'm in Lawrence, so thanks from a local!

·
Registered
220 Posts
If you really wanted to check that the check light goes out before putting it back together, it is possible to do so on the centerstand. It is a little risky though. With the bike on the centerstand, raise the front wheel to just clear the ground and support the bike like that. Make sure the rear wheel is free to rotate with sufficient clearance to prevent any posisbility of touching the ground. Start the engine, select first gear and allow the rear wheel to run. Then give the front a good spin by hand, and the check light should go off. Mine does.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Looks like I stand corrected, and Andr'e is a wild-man. I presumed the ABS looked at the relative speed of both wheels. Maybe not. I live just east of Lake Shawnee, if you're familiar with Topeka at all. Used to live in Lawrence many years ago.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Perhaps I should add a disclaimer: "Don't try this at home!" It also works on a 2004 R1100S and a 2005 K1200S, so I assume it may work on all with the servo system. But extreme caution is advisable: if the rear wheel touches the ground while under power, the bike may jump off the centerstand with unpleasant consequences.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Looks like I stand corrected, and Andr'e is a wild-man. I presumed the ABS looked at the relative speed of both wheels. Maybe not. I live just east of Lake Shawnee, if you're familiar with Topeka at all. Used to live in Lawrence many years ago.
Dean , Andres,

On IABS, to finish the pull-away test, I had always assumed that the system is looking for rotation of both wheels and at some similar speed. BUT, based on Andres post, it is quite possible that any rotation up to a certain speed or distance (as published in owners's guide) is good enough to satisfy the pull-away test completion.

However, until proven otherwise, I still believe that later on, once you attain a certain minimum speed, a rotation of both wheel (within a tight percentage of each-other) is needed to avoid an ABS fault. When I have time I will test following:
(1) go for a very short ride and let the ABS finish its pull-away test (will attain at least 30 mph)
(2) will park on center stand and let engine run (so that ABS is not re-init)
(3) with belly fairing already removed, I will install a suitable device under engine sump to support rear and front wheel in the air. At that point, I will re-try Andres procedure of 1st gear and front wheel rotation.

Step 3 should generate a fault, but I suspect that the IABS system does not care about rotation until a certain minimum speed is attained by the rear wheel (speed data based on rear wheel ABS-sensor).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts