BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been slowly putting the LT back together after sorting out wiring and communications, and decided to spray the lower fairings. I'm also restoring my MG, so bought two kinds of primers: one sandable, one epoxy. I'm using the sandable on my fairings.
As you painters may know, each type of paint has its own hardener. I have two types of paint, therefore two types of hardener. See where this is going?
My first coat was beautiful, so wet sanded it and shot another today. I get started, and nothing buy little gray cotton balls sticking to the fairings. CRAP, wrong hardener!
But in fairness to me, I did mix it at the correct proportions.
Guess I'll be out practicing my sanding skills.
YEAY ME!!!

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
I try to think of stuff like that as a ,... " learning experience "

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,172 Posts
Just don't kick any hard objects in frustration... you don't want to add a hospital bill for a broken toe to the situation! :p
I am sure you employed a few chosen expletives shortly after your discovery... :D

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've tried to teach my children that it's really not the explicitives that count, so much as the method by which they're strung together in a sentence.
Right now, the way my luck's going, I'm waiting for a violent chemical reaction to take place, resulting in the total meltdown of all three fairing pieces! :rotf:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
You might want to borrow a little trick I learned a long time ago. When I have a situation like that where I have two cans of something that "belong" to two other cans ... I write a big "A" on one set, and a "B" on the other set with a thick Sharpie.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
messenger13_ver2 said:
You might want to borrow a little trick I learned a long time ago. When I have a situation like that where I have two cans of something that "belong" to two other cans ... I write a big "A" on one set, and a "B" on the other set with a thick Sharpie.

Oh swell, now you tell me. Where were you this morning when I needed you?

·
Slow Old Guy
2,012 Posts
This reminds me of the time we were fairing the deck of a steel 55' fish boat that was being turned into a yacht. We had guys mixing epoxy and filler in five gallon buckets and laying it down and we were floating it to try to keep the camber correct.

The next morning one of the fellows I was working with stepped on to what he expected to be cured epoxy and slipped, landing on his butt. Sometime during the previous afternoon at least one of the mixes had the wrong ratio. There was patches of soft epoxy all over the deck. Some on top and some under a layer of cured. Took a couple of days to get it back to the stage where we could start over.

I feel your pain. :(

·
Registered
392 Posts
Frank- If you just went & helped your buddy plow his fields with both his & your horses, this would never have happened. Tell me I'm wrong.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
fpmlt said:
Oh swell, now you tell me. Where were you this morning when I needed you?
It wouldn't have been funny then. :D

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
messenger13_ver2 said:
It wouldn't have been funny then. :D
Howdy, Joe.

Now there's the Joe we remember so fondly. Got my fingers crossed on your job hunt, Buddy.

Cheerin' Karl

1 - 11 of 11 Posts