BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

I Was Introduced To LT Physics Today

3K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  rricher 
#1 ·
:wow: It was a close thing. You know how your mind sometimes goes somewhere else while your lizard brain is dealing with the incident? Happens, lol.

My 1150RT was a nice bike, if it had cruise or a rear trunk that would have handled my helmet I would probably still have it...but in any case the foot pegs on the LT are a lot larger than the RTs...keep that in mind for a few seconds, lol. I took it out today for a run and discovered the temp spike and the shifting was getting better, sort of, but the first place I went was to a local coffee shop because I was Jonesing for a large coffee with a shot of cinnamon syrup in it. At the third light on the way we all came to a stop and I put my left boot down just as the bike was stopping and leaning to the left, no worries. Well...these footpegs are longer, too, and my boot hung on the tip of the peg and didn't go down until I did another desperate lift and stomp and it was almost too late. I could fee the constant pull of gravity beginning to take over while my boot was still not quite on the ground and then it became a matter of me holding it up while still holding the clutch in and not pegging the throttle and oh yes there were thirty cars behind me and OH MY GOSH I HEAR THINGS HAPPENING IN MY BACK...for a few moments it stopped going down but it wasn't going back up, either, and then I was able to tug hard and slam my leg against the bike and block it a bit higher, and then a couple more of those gutbuster tugs and it lightened up and I was able to right it.

All this took maybe 20 seconds and the light was still red but people were clapping around me, embarrassing but I managed to give an aloof wave while checking my body out for hernias and other stuff. It took a few hours but this evening when I went to pick up a wrench my lower back was like "WHAT WAS THAT CRAP TODAY, HUH???" Anyway, lots of sore muscles, lol, but I kept it up! May have to saw off that list half inch on the pegs :histerica

See less See more
#2 ·
I feel your pain brother. I am now 72 and have been riding for 56 years and the LT finally got me. There is something about the bike that once she starts to go it takes a real man to stop it. Mine happen 2 years ago during my first year of ownership. Two brothers and a son and myself made four. Camping was our nightly pleasure. We pulled into a campsite and as we went around we all saw the perfect site and pulled into towards the usual picnic table. The approach was paved and uphill. The first 3 stopped at the rise and as I pulled up last I was forced to stop on the still uphill portion. Asphalt with lots of decomposed granite, like large sand. I came to a stop and as both feet went down the front brake stopped my progress for only a moment. The weight of the bike, myself and all the camping gear was well over 1150 pounds. The now locked front tire had no chance on the loose granite and the bike slipped backwards.
I did n't have a prayer. High school physics was many years ago, back when they taught cursive writing in school. Even so I understood the lack of friction and as the bike tipped I stepped neatly off to fight another day.
Round one and I lost.
I still love the bike.

#17 ·
Good for you, you saved! People cheered, all good.

In my early days with the LT, I was in a cobblestone (adoquines) street, and when a put my left foot down, there was a stone missing. Cluth pulled, bike revved a little as I was trying to sort myself of my confusion.
In the end, I put the bike softly down.
and then asked for help to pick it up.
Very embarrassing and my GF froze, she just didn't know what to do, and neither did I as it was slowly but surely falling down.

Reactions: Ricky Chuck
#3 ·
Starting some thoughts on paper about the beast, lol...such as never let your mind wander :), thanks for the response, I imagine everyone unless they are built like Dwayne Johnson have been caught ow and then.

#4 ·
If she goes over part or all the way, it's still an effort you're likely to remember, muscle-wise. :)
I've been able to wrestle her back up a time or two, but the tally in my .sig tells the real tale.

Have fun,
Jer

#5 ·
I bring this out from time to time when threads on drops come up. This was my first outing with the LT group at IronHorse and I was new to the bike. I simply could not keep up with the more seasoned riders who were kind enough to wait for me at a pull off. It took me a few seconds to realize it was them and then went into panic stop mode. I managed to stop just before the end of the pull off and avoid hitting the rocks but I turned left at the last second and got my left foot over the road which sloped away from the pull over surface. My foot went down with the bars turned and there was no ground where I needed it to be and it started to go. I was totally embarrassed in front of the group. The noob dropping his bike in front ln everyone and both me and my pillion crawling off the center of the Cherohala hoping no car was coming around the corner. They were very gracious as they all had been there before. I just happened to catch it on video so enjoy.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMSqj4CDCsM

#6 ·
It happens, huh?
I dropped my KLT three times in the first year. Once when some kids cut through the gas pumps heading for the convenience store just as I was pulling away from filling up for the first time. I grabbed the front brakes and turned the front wheel to avoid the kids, and down I went. Four muscular, heavily tattooed guys appeared and jumped into action and almost righted me and the bike before I could get up. The second time, I hit a cement planter with my boot attempting to park on my front patio and down I went. I used my two-ton engine cherry picker to lift the bike because I did not have room to try the butt against the seat lift/handlebar grab and lift. The third time was at a stop sign with a sharp rise, a lot of sand and grit. While waiting for a car to go by my left foot slid out from under me. The car which turned in front of me and caused me to wait immediately pulled over to help me right the bike. I have been very lucky!
Fortunately, I haven't had any close calls since then, though I will now be able to capture any future mishaps with the front and rear video cameras mounted on my bike!

#8 ·
Soon after we got the LT, we were on our way home and decided to pull into the favorite custard stand(in WI, it's not ice cream, it's custard)

I pulled in and saw a spot that had a slight incline, so thought I would back in, making it easier to head out. My wife jumped off, and I began going into the spot. The parking lot was full, the line was very long for custard, it was a full house. As I headed back, my left foot went down to find the pavement, only to find I had found a severe dip in that pavement. The bike went down quickly, and EVERYONE there turned their attention to us! My first drop had to come with a full audience.

Two riders (Harley) came over and we righted it easily. They said 'it happens to all of us,' which really didn't ease the pain. And now, nearly 10 years later, I honestly can't remember if we got any custard.

#13 ·
It might at first, but once you got past the knee of the tire tread, it would go over really fast!

I volunteer you to give it a try and let us know. >:)

Reactions: Ricky Chuck
#15 ·
I hear you but it sucks being reminded your body isn't 30 anymore, lol. Once these sore muscles mend I am starting a leg program again :)

#20 ·
Eureka! Stumbled upon a way to get the bike up far enough to finish lifting it without turning into an invalid, lol...adapt an air compressor tip to the hose and wait! Just one more duffel to carry with :grin:

Reactions: mondrage and kbob12
#21 ·
Now over 80 I'm waiting for a LOT of snow to melt before starting another season on my 2005 LT. I've dropped mine 3 times I recall, but the last time I discovered that with my left hand lifting on the trunk top (right hand on the handle bar) I can still lift it myself. I know the trunk isn't supposed to be lifted like this, but It is much more effective generating the required moment about a longitudial axis to get the old girl up.

#22 ·
You risk serious back injury if you are using you arms, shoulders and back to lift. You really want to get your butt against the seat so that you are pushing against the seat with your legs and your back is just along for the ride.

#26 ·
There seems to be more dropped bike stories around this bike than any other I can find. I managed to push my 2000KLT off the side stand and drop it on me before I ever rode the bike! Trapped between the bike and the workshop bench there was nowhere to go but under it and now five months later the ankle swelling has gone down though the bruises are mostly healed but still there. I hope that gives me credit for one drop going forward! At least now I've figured out the feel for leveraging it up on the centerstand and when I have the time will install an EHCS acquired from a newer bike. Assuming it's gone down to the left side, back to the bike, squat down at the knees, grab the left grip and the left side bag handle and use your legs to lift. At 68 y/o I'm able to do it, but I wouldn't look forward to having to do it again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.