BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On 5-30-10 I purchased my '03 K1200LT. It's in amazing shape and only 18,XXX miles. I've never ridden a bike like this but already I LOVE IT!! Shortly after I registered on this forum. I was going to ask some questions like "why does my bike smoke when I first turn it on?" or "why is my right channel on the stereo not working?" After reading through the FAQ's and doing a search all my questions were answered on top of getting lots of other info like these bikes tip over EASY. Well, thats what happened in my garage. Taking it off the center stand like I've done over 100 times before on different bikes, she went down. The damage is pretty minimal, but it still sickens me that it happened. I have a scratch on the fairing/mirror about 1" long and .030" deep. No big deal, right? She fell into my custom softail chopper dropping that on it's side. Unfortunately, the chopper sustained more than a scratch. I was planning for a new paint job, just not this soon. Talk about a sick feeling.

Totally dumb on my part, but again, I learned something new in this journey I call life.

I want to thank you guys for really covering the bases on this forum. Every li'l quirk this bike has, has been addressed. I'm impressed. Hopefully I can lend some info on this site, even if it's "WHAT NOT TO DO!"

·
Premium Member
4,876 Posts
Just curious... were you on the bike when you moved it off the center stand or off to the side? I've seen many people lower it as they stand to the side, but I have never felt comfortable doing it that way.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
deweychop said:
On 5-30-10 I purchased my '03 K1200LT. It's in amazing shape and only 18,XXX miles. I've never ridden a bike like this but already I LOVE IT!! Shortly after I registered on this forum. I was going to ask some questions like "why does my bike smoke when I first turn it on?" or "why is my right channel on the stereo not working?" After reading through the FAQ's and doing a search all my questions were answered on top of getting lots of other info like these bikes tip over EASY. Well, thats what happened in my garage. Taking it off the center stand like I've done over 100 times before on different bikes, she went down. The damage is pretty minimal, but it still sickens me that it happened. I have a scratch on the fairing/mirror about 1" long and .030" deep. No big deal, right? She fell into my custom softail chopper dropping that on it's side. Unfortunately, the chopper sustained more than a scratch. I was planning for a new paint job, just not this soon. Talk about a sick feeling.

Totally dumb on my part, but again, I learned something new in this journey I call life.

I want to thank you guys for really covering the bases on this forum. Every li'l quirk this bike has, has been addressed. I'm impressed. Hopefully I can lend some info on this site, even if it's "WHAT NOT TO DO!"

same thing happened to me the first time I took the Flying Purple Mile Eater last week when I took her of the center stand, except my cruiser was on the other side of the garage.

I looked and looked for an instruction on how to get her off the center stand but did not find anything.

So for now, she stays on the side stand till I learn myself on how to get her off the center stand without her taking a nap on her side.

Paul

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DanDiver said:
Just curious... were you on the bike when you moved it off the center stand or off to the side? I've seen many people lower it as they stand to the side, but I have never felt comfortable doing it that way.
Off to the side (dipping my head in shame)

·
Registered
71 Posts
DanDiver said:
Just curious... were you on the bike when you moved it off the center stand or off to the side?
I´m always on the bike: have never tried the other way, I don´t feel comfortable when off to the side. The bike manual says I should be off to the side. But now I know which is better..! (and I´ve dropped her also... :cussing: )

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Yeah, she can get away from you pretty easy if you're not astride her when you take her off the stand...

It happens... Sux huh ?

If you hold it upright for 20-30 seconds after you shut the motor off, Then you can put it on the side stand without it smoking.

Also don't grab a handfull of front brake with the front end turned... She'll lay down fast..

Always keep the front end straight when using the front brake heavily...

Good Luck....

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
deweychop said:
Off to the side (dipping my head in shame)
Yeah...don't do that. I'm just wondering what took you so long. I threw mine on its side within two days...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JPSpen said:
Yeah, she can get away from you pretty easy if you're not astride her when you take her off the stand...

It happens... Sux huh ?

If you hold it upright for 20-30 seconds after you shut the motor off, Then you can put it on the side stand without it smoking.

Also don't grab a handfull of front brake with the front end turned... She'll lay down fast..

Always keep the front end straight when using the front brake heavily...

Good Luck....
Thanks for that advice. Yeah, those brakes are unlike anything I've ever had before too.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Dewey,

I dropped mine in my garage about three days after I got her home. I was astride her and moved her off center to see the sidestand to retract it...:eek: You can figure out what happened next...

So, don't feel to bad...BMW's have been known to lash out and want to pass any Harley they see!:rotf:

·
Premium Member
7,543 Posts
pauleknight said:
same thing happened to me the first time I took the Flying Purple Mile Eater last week when I took her of the center stand, except my cruiser was on the other side of the garage.

I looked and looked for an instruction on how to get her off the center stand but did not find anything.

So for now, she stays on the side stand till I learn myself on how to get her off the center stand without her taking a nap on her side.

Paul
Here are the instructions:

1. Mount the LT.
2. Grab the handlebars firmly.
3. Lean back as far as you can.
4. Throw your body forward briskly and then right before your privates hit the tank cover...
5. Push forward eually on both handlebars and pinch the seat/rear of tank cover with your thighs to transfer your body's momentum to the LT.

Mine will rock off the stand almost every time using this technique. I then just grab the brake to keep it from rolling to far. It probably helps that I am 6' and weight 210 lbs (down from 235 ... yes!). I fear though that if I lose too much more weight, I won't be able to get the LT off the center stand. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Center stand? Only 2 things ya got to remember:

1.) ALWAYS be safely ensconced in the saddle before you rock her off the CS
2.) Before you plant your keester in the saddle make sure the side stand is in its fully upright and locked position

And remember: Emergency exits are located at the front and rear of the cabin.........

I made it policy to retract the side stand before I put it on the center stand the day I rocked it off the CS with the SS down and it almost pitched me over.

Upon further reflection this situation might not be all bad. Pitch a tarp over the Harley and ride your Beemer like the wind! When you're ready to sell the Harley either paint it or discount it to the new owner and let them choose their color.

Loren

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wa1200lt said:
When you're ready to sell the Harley either paint it or discount it to the new owner and let them choose their color.

Loren
:rotf:
LOL!!!! Ummmm, I don't think so. I built that bad boy from individual parts on top of a lot of "one-off" pieces I made (machinest by trade). Not a kit. I'll keep it till I'm old and grey and pass it off to my boy. If he wants to trade it for the BMW crotch rocket, that's up to him. I do agrre with the ride the beemer like the wind part though.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I used to have an ' 82 Goldwing that I dropped away from me onto my morris minor. Big dent, .... makes you learn pretty quick.
Now I havn't dropped the LT yet, but Iv'e come close ( though not from taking it off the centerstand )
So heres how I get her off of the stand, since I'm not tall enough to do it while on the seat.
Put the side stand down, left hand on the left grip, right hand on the lift handle or the sidecase handle, left knee pushes a little on the chrome piece by the power outlet.
When she comes off of the stand, you make sure her weight is slightly toward you, so that when you stop forward movement, you just rock her back onto the sidestand.
Now swing a leg over & start the engine.

·
Premium Member
7,543 Posts
katnapinn said:
I've done many bikes from the side but NEVER a LT. It is just WAY to Heavy....

Let's lobby for the new LT to have both a power extend AND power retract of the center stand!

·
Registered
330 Posts
I can't believe the manual would tell people to stand to the side when taking the bike off the center stand. That's just assanine! (if that's how you spell it) I'd never advise anyone to do that. She's a handful standing still !

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
and .030" deep
Ya, you'll fit in just fine with this group....Dust it off and ride...simply becasue it WILL happen again! :wave

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
shoswell said:
Ya, you'll fit in just fine with this group....Dust it off and ride...simply becasue it WILL happen again! :wave
Man, I hope not.
Though surprisingly, she was quite easy to throw up with a bit of anger on my side :D

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
hoog62 said:
Yeah...don't do that. I'm just wondering what took you so long. I threw mine on its side within two days...
Did mine on the way home from purchase. Stopped to show it to some friends. Parked in a bad place. (Down in a recessed area off the crown of the road) Went to take off without enough power, and she started to tip left. Leg wasn't even close to touching off the crown of the road. Over she went. Busted most of the left mirror. Cost $300 to fix right out of the shoot. :mad: It took two more naps (barely moving) in the first 3 weeks I had it. Since then (about 2 years) no problems, since I adjusted to the weight and the do's & don'ts. :) Love this bike. And I really like watching the 'others' gather around it and oogle. Just last week the SO and I stopped at a local pub for a sandwich. I noticed three Harleys & a Suzuki parked outside. I parked the LT just outside the door where I could see it. When those guys left they stood around the LT for about 10 minutes checking it out before they left. I was trying to eat, and my wife kept telling me to close my mouth, but I just couldn't get that silly grin off my face.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Voyager said:
Here are the instructions:

1. Mount the LT.
2. Grab the handlebars firmly.
3. Lean back as far as you can.
4. Throw your body forward briskly and then right before your privates hit the tank cover...
5. Push forward eually on both handlebars and pinch the seat/rear of tank cover with your thighs to transfer your body's momentum to the LT.

Mine will rock off the stand almost every time using this technique. I then just grab the brake to keep it from rolling to far. It probably helps that I am 6' and weight 210 lbs (down from 235 ... yes!). I fear though that if I lose too much more weight, I won't be able to get the LT off the center stand. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
I am going to give this a try after a good bowl of wheates and some strength training and two highschool linebakers on either side in case she wants to go down.

THANKS

Paul

1 - 20 of 27 Posts