BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 LT, I've reset the system multiple times, checked all the suggested parts and pieces. I've been riding the past 2 seasons with black electric tape over the wig wag fault lights. So now I just want the system turned off! Q: Can I just unplug the harness from the controller and disable it? On the early LT's it's my understanding that the ABS II system doesn't effect the speedometer or brake light. I was also advised to cut the RED wire that powers the system inside the big connector to the ABS controller. I'm not wanting to remove the dash lights, FWIW: removing the lights doesn't stop the relay or circuit from sending the signal for flashing and cycle the removed lights! Any and all advice is welcome.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,170 Posts
Undoing the big connector on the ABS unit will effectively disconnect the ABS from the bike. No lights will flash and no current will flow as this also removes the signal to the ABS relay that drives the ABS motor. So you should be good.

Reactions: mcracer

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Undoing the big connector on the ABS unit will effectively disconnect the ABS from the bike. No lights will flash and no current will flow as this also removes the signal to the ABS relay that drives the ABS motor. So you should be good.
Thanks jzeiler, I have one last thing to try, the ABS II system would stay operational for a while after a gs911 reset, it would work for half a day and fail randomly after a gas stop or lunch break. So I found this ABS II piston cleaning and teardown procedure over on another forum. (FWIW, I also found it posted on random sites on a random search) I think the author wants us to use it if possible. If not someone can remove it.. just sharing.

So this weekend I'll pull the pistons and give it one last attempt to get it back working. Thanks

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,170 Posts
Good I have been wanting to try that procedure but never had a failed ABS II in my shop. Let us know how it does.

Did the 911 unit give you the "stuck piston" fault? If so this should fix it.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Hey John. Speaking of ABS units. I'm looking to get the size & thread pitch for the brake line splitter on the frame,up The one that the line from the handle bar reservoir and front calipers tie into the Hard lines input & discharge for the ABS pump. Any chance you know? I believe the top of the splitter were the banjo goes is 10mm × 1.0

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Hey John. Speaking of ABS units. I'm looking to get the size & thread pitch for the brake line splitter on the frame,up The one that the line from the handle bar reservoir and front calipers tie into the Hard lines input & discharge for the ABS pump. Any chance you know? I believe the top of the splitter were the banjo goes is 10mm × 1.0
I believe BMW uses 10mm X 1mm for all brake lines.

Robert

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,170 Posts
Robert nailed it! M 10 x 1

1 - 9 of 9 Posts