BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all , I found this forum looking for info on BMWs. I have had severa; different motorcycles but never a BMW and have been thinking about getting one for years. Its getting close to the time to buy. I hope you all will bear with me while I ask questions. I think I want a 1200LT as I have been riding a HD Ultra for the last 8 years and cant think of not having all my gear with me all the time. I have also gotten used to the music. Is there a year that has proven over time to be less problematic? What about maintenance what needs to be done? Whats the deal with the drive shaft seals and bearings that I need to be aware of? If you have any advice It would be appreciated Thanks

·
Registered
568 Posts
BobV101 said:
Hello all , I found this forum looking for info on BMWs. I have had severa; different motorcycles but never a BMW and have been thinking about getting one for years. Its getting close to the time to buy. I hope you all will bear with me while I ask questions. I think I want a 1200LT as I have been riding a HD Ultra for the last 8 years and cant think of not having all my gear with me all the time. I have also gotten used to the music. Is there a year that has proven over time to be less problematic? What about maintenance what needs to be done? Whats the deal with the drive shaft seals and bearings that I need to be aware of? If you have any advice It would be appreciated Thanks

Hi,

Glad to hear you want a BMW. I have a 2000 K1200LT with 58000 miles for sale with many extras included: AutoComm, bike to bike, tank bag, PIAA 1100's, Russell Seats and BMW heated seats. Many other extras as well. I will not be stripping it down to piece mill it out. A great bike that runs great. Excellent condition. Please PM me or visit the classifieds to see information my bike. I would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have . I am the original owner and because of knee surgery, I will not be riding any more in near future. If interested you can call me at 408-857-1196.

Thanks,

OKU

·
Registered
9 Posts
Come on aboard.

Do yourself a favor and get a k1200 lt. There is nothing like riding one. Wouldn't ride anything else again unless it is a new one. the only draw back is that it is very expensive to fix if anything goes wrong,and it will.it is still worth it.

·
Registered
370 Posts
If you read through these threads, you will find alot of information about the 1200LT. Those on here love our LT's. You will read about a few problems with the LT, but you can't find a better resource to do your own repairs and maintenance.

I have a 2000 K1200LT and for two up riding there ain't no better. :cool:

Welcome and remember:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
BobV101 said:
Hi there, and welcome to the asylum. The LTs have gotten more refined over the years. No particular year is specifically problematic, and having owned a 99, 02 and 05, each first years for major changes, I have a good sampling of what would be considered the troublesome years. Maintenance needs to be done at the regular intervals - 6k is mainly an oil change and checking things out, 12k is motor and tranny oil, air and fuel filter, check the valves and adjust if needed (not usually necessary), and a few other things. Flush the brake and clutch fluild every year and the radiator every 2 and you'll be good to go. My only advice would be to buy one!

And on the self serving side :D , I happen to have a loaded 05 LT I'm going to sell. Send me a PM if you want some more info.

Reactions: djmellor

·
Registered
298 Posts
Be Vewry Quiet

I went to Hickory NC to look at some choppers a few years ago on a fully loaded Ultra Classic complete with my wife on the back. We were offered a test ride on an LT and to make a long story short we rode home on an 03 and since have traded up for a 2005 LT. The comfort and further protection has extended my riding season a full month in the fall as well as in the spring. I have no regrets and the comraderie in the BMW community is equal to that of the HD community which as you well know is outstanding. One of the toughest adjustments is how whisper quiet the LT is.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i have ridden pretty much every type of bike but a BMW until last year when i bought a new 1200LT.........

the only thing i kept asking myself as i rode it was....

WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG???????????? :bmw:

every ride can give you problems (although mine has yet to hiccup) but this is one sweet ride. and if you are riding two up? you SO will love you for it!! :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Welp...I'll be the counter-point to all these LT feel-good posts.

1200 RT is a simpler bike and lighter. It handles better, especially at low speeds, and you can carry A LOT of stuff in them and on them. I would get an '05 to '07 1200 RT with top case. Best bang for buck and EZ to maintain.

If you can find one with Ohlins or other good rebuildable aftermarket shocks, you'll love riding it forever. Cruise Control is a really good factory option to have on these bikes. '05 is the first year of RT's with Cruise. Make sure you get that.

Aftermarket seat and windscreen make them comfy and very good rides.

I don't want to knock the LT, but they are more complicated bikes and they weigh 200 lbs more. Dropping them in parking lots is pretty danged easy. I bought my first used RT from a dealer in Rockford, IL. When I was in for service, I met the previous owner. He was a 20 year veteran of riding. He traded "my" RT in for an LT. He immediately took it on a long trip out west. He dropped the bike 4 times in parking lots. He had never done that before in 20 years. They are heavy, and they are tall. Once underway, they're great, but man, you have to learn to handle that weight. It's not like a low Harley. RT is a little bit like that, but 200 lbs really makes a difference.

You can ride either bike practially like a sport bike on back roads. They both handle great. The early bikes all had some potentially expensive problems. The water cooled LT motor is much more complicated to fix and work on.

Just go in with both eyes open. They're both great bikes in their way. I'm an RT freak. I'm on #4.

:alien:

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,251 Posts
You are entitled to your opinion but I will point out you just replied to a 12 year old post.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
You are entitled to your opinion but I will point out you just replied to a 12 year old post.
I wonder what he is riding these days!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts