BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Pete's recent post got me to thinking, and I know we've got the onboard juice to do it. I'm tired of wearing in-ear custom molded speakers - they STILL hurt and don't sound all that great.

I'm gonna need some 5.25 inch quality $$ poly speakers - probably $100 EACH :eek: with metal tweeters (not silk), an extra amp to feed them and of course a small subwoofer ingeniously hid somewhere that won't take up existing storage space. (between the passenger seat and top case?) Upgraded wiring will be a neccessary evil.

Someone has done this... where?

I PROMISE I won't play any rap! :D More into global groove. :thumb:

·
Registered
467 Posts
RonKMiller said:
and of course a small subwoofer ingeniously hid somewhere

In the seat?:histerica :histerica

sorry, couldn't resist

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Could put a tube in place of the canistor?

·
Registered
99 Posts
iPod

When my ears got tired of stretching to listen to the music and conservative talk radio. I bought an iPod and Shure - E2c Sound Isolating Earphones.
Life is now good.

In-ear earphones are key especially if you wear a half helmet. Throw the foam earphones that come with the ipod away or give to your dog.
In-ear is key.

For earphone info: Has two year warrantee!
http://www.shure.com/PersonalAudio/Products/Earphones/ESeries/us_pa_E2c_content

Bose also carries similar In-ear earphones for the same bucks.

Versatility: You can take the iPod with you when you go running. It's a lot easier than strapping the LT to your back to go run.

You can also get the optional iPod FM receiver when you want to listen to conservative talk radio. Life is now great. :D

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Ari could whip this out in no time, and then install another bunch of switches with an equalizer and other audio controls. :cool:

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OneShot said:
When my ears got tired of stretching to listen to the music and conservative talk radio. I bought an iPod and Shure - E2c Sound Isolating Earphones.
Life is now good.

In-ear earphones are key especially if you wear a half helmet. Throw the foam earphones that come with the ipod away or give to your dog.
In-ear is key.

For earphone info: Has two year warrantee!
http://www.shure.com/PersonalAudio/Products/Earphones/ESeries/us_pa_E2c_content

Bose also carries similar In-ear earphones for the same bucks.

Versatility: You can take the iPod with you when you go running. It's a lot easier than strapping the LT to your back to go run.

You can also get the optional iPod FM receiver when you want to listen to conservative talk radio. Life is now great. :D
Oh yeah - the I-pod is the heart of my system.

I popped for some $175.00 EAR brand custom in - ear speakers a few years ago at CCR. Never could get any performance out of them and they hurt like hell right from the beginning. What a waste of money - they were just too hard, then clamping the helmet on made them excrutiatingly painful. :mad:

I finally molded my own silicone plugs from an inexpensive kit www.earplugsthatfit.com that was a huge improvement in comfort - but the sound still did not cut it. I think the styrofoam in my helmet is absorbing 90% of the sound... especially the base.

Sounds like you've found some good plugs - but my thinking is kinda along horsepower lines - there is no replacement for displacement! ;)

I'll pass on the conservative talk radio, thanks. I'm more of an Air America/Slate kinda' guy. :D

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
hey Ron...

my $40 a pair speakers, including shipping, have "swiveling titanium-coated PEI balanced dome tweeters" whatever the hell that means...

if you want, you can get a two-way amp that would be about 2" by 4" by 8" and crank as much as 400 watts (if you're only gonna' have two speakers, you only need two outputs) for under $80, that would fit in the deadspace under the passenger seat

·
Registered
99 Posts
The shure earphones come with around 4 different styles of inserts and three sizes for each style of insert to get the right fit. The in-ear types are more flush with your head and should not touch the inside of the helmet. But we are all made differently.

IMHO, the in-ear type earphones bring the music to your ears, where the bike speakers have to send the sound through torrents of wind, other vehicle noises, and the DOT helmet. Ya maybe they lack a little, but they reduce the wind noises in your helmet very well.

I also like the ability to download audio books from iTunes and listen to them while riding. In my case I listen to non-fiction, so when I reach my destinations, I'm a little more smarter than when I left. :D
Knowledge is P O W E R :thumb:

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I have a set of custom moulded ear plug from a guy named Arizona Al and I love them. The cut most all of the wind noise and motor. I use them in different ways, either pluged into the Autocom or just plug them into the Ipod and use the remote. I don't care what quality of speakers you get or how big of an amp at 80 mph you will have to turn it up so loud that the combination of the wind, engine noise and the loud music your ears are going to killing you at the end of a day. One of the things I like about Al's design is that the ear moulds uses air tubes connected to a transducer/speaker so you don't ever rip the wires out of the ear moulds and they produce nice base which I could never get out of the helmet speakers. It took a while to get use to them and yes they one of them hurt for a while. If you put a drop of olive oil on your finger and rub it in your ear before you screw the moulds in it makes a huge difference in the comfort. I have ridden as much as 900 miles in a day with them in and they are not any difference than having a helmet on. One thing I forgot is that the telephone sounds great though them. But if you need a space for an amp there is room above the radio.

·
Old Dawg
3,282 Posts
Raffy is correct about the guy on the old site that had a very cool stereo upgrade on his LT. He put a sub and an amp in the top box. He got some crap from a few members here about it (not to mention the fact his wife was pretty hot and had an adult website that a few folks weren't so nice about) so he sold his toy and went back to a Harley. I thought the guy was pretty cool

·
Registered
185 Posts
RonKMiller said:
I'm gonna need some 5.25 inch quality $$ poly speakers - probably $100 EACH :eek: with metal tweeters (not silk), an extra amp to feed them and of course a small subwoofer ingeniously hid somewhere that won't take up existing storage space. (between the passenger seat and top case?) Upgraded wiring will be a necessary evil.
I'm subscribing to this thread because I'm very interested in how this goes. I'm frustrated with the anemic sound of the stock speakers and lack of bass response. If you put any bass in at all on the whopping two-band (bass/treble) "EQ" then it distorts at highway speed. I'm sure part of that is due to the fact that I drive around the 100mph mark (what's the point in going slow on the German Autobahn system?) But is it too much to ask for a decent sounding audio system?

Plus, I'd NEVER wear in-ear plugs simply as a safety issue. They block all ambient noise which makes for better music listening. However you also won't hear that car horn or police siren.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Heracleitus said:
Plus, I'd NEVER wear in-ear plugs simply as a safety issue. They block all ambient noise which makes for better music listening. However you also won't hear that car horn or police siren.
I just got an LT and haven't got all the audio hooked up yet.

I can tell you from 2 years of experience on a ZX-12R - I've tried all kinds of in ear headphones.

THERE'S NO SAFETY PROBLEM!!!! I can hear everything important, no matter how loud the music is cranked. I find I ride better as they eliminate the fatigue of wind and car noise (and TRUCK noise), and I concentrate much better. As far as which ear buds go, it makes a big difference to get the right ones.

My faves are Etymotic ER-4P. They sound like the $275 I paid for them but they don't fit well under the helmet so they are uncomfortable. Now I see they can be had for $175. And I thought they were worth it at the price I paid.

The little Sony $50 ear buds suck. No matter how loud I crank it, these are barely audible at 65MPH.

I heard about Senheiser CX-300 ear buds. Tiny, so they are flush with your ears, and the sound is incredible. About $50.

Been though about 7 pairs of ear buds, and the Senheisers do it all.

I never tried the Shures because they look bigger than the Etymotic.

Your mileage may vary.

Back to the original thread: I'd love to kick up the LT stereo a few notches. Let us know what you do.

mike

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
quality audio

IMO
Finding comfortable in the ear speakers is the way to go. Having more than one set of ear speakers or changable foam/rubber ear inserts on a set of ear buds allows a change when one set becomes annoying.

I had a set made by what's her name (plugUp.com) at CCR last year. They were very comfortable, unfortunately they developed a short in the wiring. I'll get another set of custom made when I get a chance; they were so comfortable I'd forget I had them in. I also have a set of universal ear buds (about $120 IIRC, AeroStitch Rider Wearhouse catalog, I think they are Etymotic, but not the most expensive ones. I consider the sound quality to be very good) which are quite comfortable but I have experimented with diffent adaptors on them to find a couple I really like. On long rides I may switch from one adaptor to another if my ears become annoyed; keep 'em in my tank bag.

In spite of state laws against ear speakers, there really is no safety issue. They reduce wind noise and you can still hear traffic, horns, sirens, etc. The amount of ambient noise reduction does vary from one type of ear speaker to another; there is a difference in ambient nosie reduction when I switch from one ear adaptor to another with my univeral ear buds. And if one argues that any reduction in ability to hear ambient sounds is dangerous, then blasting the bike's speaker system is dangerous too. These laws restricting headphones and earspeakers while driving are well intentioned, but you think the guy blasting his conventional speaker system doesn't have comparable reduction in ability to hear? I would argue that in the ear speakers are safer than conventional speakers running loud enough to hear them well above ambient noise.

On upgraded bike speaker systems: Costly. Blasting the neighborhood with your cool sounds is right up there with loud pipes IMO, inconsiderate and not cool. No matter how high the fidelity and power of the system you're competing with wind noise; unless you're gonna just listen to this getto blaster while it parked.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Want a Bitchin' Stereo??

Marry a sister and her twin! (Sorry, couldn't resist that one!)

Best of luck.
Curt

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
dmatson said:
I have a set of custom moulded ear plug from a guy named Arizona Al and I love them. The cut most all of the wind noise and motor. I use them in different ways, either pluged into the Autocom or just plug them into the Ipod and use the remote. I don't care what quality of speakers you get or how big of an amp at 80 mph you will have to turn it up so loud that the combination of the wind, engine noise and the loud music your ears are going to killing you at the end of a day. One of the things I like about Al's design is that the ear moulds uses air tubes connected to a transducer/speaker so you don't ever rip the wires out of the ear moulds and they produce nice base which I could never get out of the helmet speakers. It took a while to get use to them and yes they one of them hurt for a while. If you put a drop of olive oil on your finger and rub it in your ear before you screw the moulds in it makes a huge difference in the comfort. I have ridden as much as 900 miles in a day with them in and they are not any difference than having a helmet on. One thing I forgot is that the telephone sounds great though them. But if you need a space for an amp there is room above the radio.
That "little dab will do ya'" is a great idea Doug... never tried that. Virgin or extra virgin? :D (think I might give some glycerin a try)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts