BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wrecked my motorcycle a few weeks ago, so now it is in the shop for those repairs, the 48K service and Ohlins.

Please feel free to donate to the cause!

For those of you who care, I am alright with just a sore left ankle. Went into a 15 mph at a good LT speed ( :rolleyes: ), good RPM's, good read on the curve and then bam, down she goes (low-side). Have good tires but I think that part of the problem was worn shocks thus causing my centerstand to catch the pavement just enough to lift the rear tire.

Bike was scratched on the left side but sustained no major damage and was able to ride off into the sunset :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
DaveDragon said:
Bret, I'm glad your ok man, the bike is fixable.

Dragging Hard Parts can do that to you, I've had the LT step out a few time on me and was lucky that the rear tire regained traction.
Preciate that man!

The scary part wasn't when the bike went down, it was when the bike did a 180 on the ground and was pushing me backwards while I was on my back heading towards the guardrail, which I couldn't see! :eek:

The bike stopped at the guardrail, thankfully since I have been riding with all of you hoodlems, I have been wearing full gear and it saved my hide, Literally!

I made a believer out of the HD and Cruiser boys (20 in all) about the safety of the BMW and the fact about wearing ATGATT!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DaveDragon said:
"If you love you bike, let it go.
If it comes back to you, you have low sided!"
-Jerry England
A good and truthful quote.

At least I will get new gear out of this!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,819 Posts
Brett, old man, when did this happen?

So glad to hear you and the bike are in good shape, all things considered.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Brett,
It happens in slow motion doesn't. Glad to hear your O.K. Now get on the bike and ride.;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,193 Posts
Brett,


Glad to hear its a learning experience for ya.
 

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
Joined
·
8,175 Posts
Hey buddy, I am glad you are alright!
Glad also you were alone on the bike...!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The incident occured two Saturdays ago heading up Lookout Mtn on 136, and as Gail said, it DOES happen in slow motion. I had enough time to think (when I was sliding backwards), is this it? Am I going to die? Be maimed? See my wife again?

I rode the bike away from the scene and then rode it down to Atlanta (the following Saturday) to the dealership to have the bike serviced and looked at for insurance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,276 Posts
Hey Bret, join the crowd! Glad ya had ATGATT!

Now about those shocks. Are you sure it was the shocks or perhaps the load that they were being ask to support? Maybe all those Iron Horse deserts have finally done their damage? :histerica

Glad your OK and hope the bike turns out OK as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lynn_Keen said:
Hey Bret, join the crowd! Glad ya had ATGATT!

Now about those shocks. Are you sure it was the shocks or perhaps the load that they were being ask to support? Maybe all those Iron Horse deserts have finally done their damage? :histerica

Glad your OK and hope the bike turns out OK as well.
Ya' know, it COULD be the CBS's from Ironhorse! :D

Thanks for the kind words you old fart! :eek:

Love ya' man.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,819 Posts
pkpr1998 said:
The incident occured two Saturdays ago heading up Lookout Mtn on 136, and as Gail said, it DOES happen in slow motion. I had enough time to think (when I was sliding backwards), is this it? Am I going to die? Be maimed? See my wife again?...
One question for you Brett:

Which of your above-listed thoughts caused you the most concern?
JUST KIDDING. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hschisler said:
One question for you Brett:

Which of your above-listed thoughts caused you the most concern?
JUST KIDDING. :D
Death doesn't scare me since I am Saved, being maimed is not a good thing AT ALL and not seeing the wife again (in our current form) would not be good either.

I have made this as clear as mud? :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,424 Posts
Glad you're okay Stumpy. I know the ATGATT thing too!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,740 Posts
Hey Steve,

Speaking of ATGATT, how's that new Olympia treating you? I'm torn between the one you got(Transformer?) from Tellico Outfitters and the Airglide.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
RVB1019 said:
Hey Steve,

Speaking of ATGATT, how's that new Olympia treating you? I'm torn between the one you got(Transformer?) from Tellico Outfitters and the Airglide.
Enquiring minds want to know! :p

My FG will have to be replaced, I saw the jacket that Steve bought from TO at BMW of Atlanta, when I pick up the bike in a few weeks, I will need to make a decision of which suit to buy :cool:
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top