BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

I think I'm done... / FIRE!

4K views 26 replies 21 participants last post by  norton 
#1 ·
Well, I think I am done - emotionally that is. I think my love for my K-LT is gone, working on the bike used to be a release, used to be fun - I just don't think I have anymore will to spend energy on this bike.

I love riding her, she's a dream on the Interstate!!

Here's my latest tale of wow...

I had been thinking about selling her since I have been so busy with work and have not put many miles on her this year, maybe 600-700 miles. The other part of me was kind of done working on the bike, seems like I'm always taking the tupperware off for some reason or another. So I decided to put an ad on Craigslist and see what I might be able to get for her.

A guy comes over to look at her, checks the bike, the features - etc, sits on her. Doesn't want to take it for a ride, but asks me to start the engine. Sure, of course who wouldn't want to hear the bike run...

I mount the bike, start the engine, she's running for about a minute - nothing abnormal, sounds great. Then out of the corner of my eye I see a flash (Hum, thats odd) and hear a woosh.. A backfire, maybe - motor is purring just fine, don't think that's it. I look down to the left and I see FLAMES! Look again, yea - FLAMES!!! Toward the front left of the bike down toward the lower cover is a decent amount of FIRE. I say, "I think the Motorcycle is on fire" - Shut the bike off, get off and run across the Garage to get my Fire Extinguisher!

As I am coming back to the bike and pulling the Pin on the Fire Extinguisher, I notice a pool of FIRE directly under the motor and some in the left side, I also notice dripping FIRE. Two quick bursts with the extinguisher and it's out! (Side note: Have you ever pulled a Fire Extinguisher handle? That stuff gets all over everything!)

All told I think she burned for 20 to 30 seconds. Externally there is some smoke on the Sliver lower cover. Nothing melted or damaged. I took the left tupperware off this evening. There seems to be minor melting of wire insulation right underneath the left radiator fan shroud. Can't tell for sure, what or where - but it seems apparent there was a fuel leak. The Cruise Control cable was run across one of the fuel lines and there is an abrasion, but I cannot tell from this vantage point if that is where the leak was.

At this point I just don't know if I have the energy to dig in and fix this, it was a labor of love - but there is no more love...

The good news is no one was hurt. I could have very easily been riding when this occurred. So I am thankful and feel blessed for that.

Suggestions?

-Mike

See less See more
#2 ·
jello4 said:
Well, I think I am done - emotionally that is. I think my love for my K-LT is gone, working on the bike used to be a release, used to be fun - I just don't think I have anymore will to spend energy on this bike.

I love riding her, she's a dream on the Interstate!!

Here's my latest tale of wow...

I had been thinking about selling her since I have been so busy with work and have not put many miles on her this year, maybe 600-700 miles. The other part of me was kind of done working on the bike, seems like I'm always taking the tupperware off for some reason or another. So I decided to put an ad on Craigslist and see what I might be able to get for her.

A guy comes over to look at her, checks the bike, the features - etc, sits on her. Doesn't want to take it for a ride, but asks me to start the engine. Sure, of course who wouldn't want to hear the bike run...

I mount the bike, start the engine, she's running for about a minute - nothing abnormal, sounds great. Then out of the corner of my eye I see a flash (Hum, thats odd) and hear a woosh.. A backfire, maybe - motor is purring just fine, don't think that's it. I look down to the left and I see FLAMES! Look again, yea - FLAMES!!! Toward the front left of the bike down toward the lower cover is a decent amount of FIRE. I say, "I think the Motorcycle is on fire" - Shut the bike off, get off and run across the Garage to get my Fire Extinguisher!

As I am coming back to the bike and pulling the Pin on the Fire Extinguisher, I notice a pool of FIRE directly under the motor and some in the left side, I also notice dripping FIRE. Two quick bursts with the extinguisher and it's out! (Side note: Have you ever pulled a Fire Extinguisher handle? That stuff gets all over everything!)

All told I think she burned for 20 to 30 seconds. Externally there is some smoke on the Sliver lower cover. Nothing melted or damaged. I took the left tupperware off this evening. There seems to be minor melting of wire insulation right underneath the left radiator fan shroud. Can't tell for sure, what or where - but it seems apparent there was a fuel leak. The Cruise Control cable was run across one of the fuel lines and there is an abrasion, but I cannot tell from this vantage point if that is where the leak was.

At this point I just don't know if I have the energy to dig in and fix this, it was a labor of love - but there is no more love...

The good news is no one was hurt. I could have very easily been riding when this occurred. So I am thankful and feel blessed for that.

Suggestions?

-Mike

WoW! so sorry to hear....do you know what caused the fire?

#3 ·
So, did he buy the bike or WHAT? :histerica Jeez, a little smoke and flames... big deal! :D Just hose off that fire extinguisher dust and she'll be as as good as new.

(sorry, sounds like you had the dreaded quick connect plastic fuel line failure on the right side?)

I would have let her burn a bit more and then called the insurance company. :think:

#4 ·
This may have been something as simple as the failure of a fuel line quick connect.

Did you bike have the original plastic quick connects ... the ones that were recalled because of the fire/failure risk?

If a disconnect failed - especially onthe high pressure side...you'd have exactly this.. a puddle of gas under the right side of the engine... and with some bad luck...on fire.

But with some good luck...replace the quick connect with a metal one....and maybe nothing really critical got burned...how fast are you with an extinguisher?

just one theory.

#6 ·
Okay ... so I need to ask ... is there an easy way to check if you have the plastic QD's?

2006 K1200LT

#7 · (Edited)
Are we all reading the same initial post - he says he took the tupperware off and there was a
fuel line abrasion on the left side of the bike caused by the cruise control cable. So that
would eliminate QD's as a source.

What to do - wash it down, inspect for repair, fix it, test it, sell it and move on!!

These are just machines that need constant feeding and care and once the love is gone -
well you know the rest of the story - if the pleasure is not worth the pain time to change.

On my 2002 lost a rear end, broken QDs, rubber brake lines popped a leak, rear engine seal
let loose and throttle cables snapped. Repaired them all sold the bike after 8 years and
bought a new 2009 and ready for the next round of issues!! As you can tell maintaining the
bike for me is therapy!!

Good luck in whatever your next steps are . . . :confused:

#8 ·
Ya, you could be right Dan. I was thinking since the bike leans to the left on the kick stand liquid would flow from right to left along with the fire. He said he got off the bike then saw the fire on the left. In any event there is a leak somewhere. Maybe he could post some pics.

#9 ·
Why in the world do you have a dry chemical extinguisher?? CO2 is much easier to deal with.

OTOH, sorry to hear about your fire. if it helps at all, my last bike 2006 Suzuki C90T burned to the ground in a similar fashion. Just started it up, putting my helmet on and "Whoosh" I'm glad i wasn't sitting on it.

#10 ·
Not a QD problem, those are the preferred metal variety. I need to drain the tank, get it off and have a better look-see. The melted area seems, on initial glance, limited to the area where the left radiator fan plug is located. There are fuel lines and fuel rail there. It's tough to get pics of the area.

As for the CO2 extinguisher, I didn't know - you are all right, dry chem sucks to clean up - but I have a house now because I had one. Dry Chem or CO2, you best have an extinguisher in your garage and house!

#12 ·
Last week wife and I were on a trip in the Smokies when I started smelling gas. Rode for awhile and stopped and saw gas dripping from right side under bike. Had to call tow truck as I didn't want a fire. It was a quick disconnect (plastic). I thought damn they did good putting the fuel lines on opposite side from exhaust. Ultimate Motorsports in Knoxville replaced QD's in record time. If you have plastic ones replace them NOW.

#15 ·
Mike,

You have my sympathy. I know exactly how it feels to have the machine running perfectly, finding a buyer and having him actually interested, and then suffering such a setback. Fortunately you were prepared and acted quick to avoid an even bigger disaster. But you probably don't have much of a choice. It will be difficult finding a buyer that will be interested in the bike in its present condition, which means you are going to have to fix it whether you want to sell it or whether you want to keep it. It does however sound that the damage is minimal. The real cost is in the emotions I guess.

By the way, my daughter and her friend was cooking outside on our propane Weber grill once, and being their first time they got frightened with the extent of the flames after probably running the Weber too hot. So they grab the fire extinguisher and cover the Weber inside and out with white powder. The white stuff doesn't only get over everything, it gets into everything! And it doesn't taste good on brats.

Hopefully your repairs will be cheap and easy.

Andre

#16 ·
mpillis said:
Last week wife and I were on a trip in the Smokies when I started smelling gas. Rode for awhile and stopped and saw gas dripping from right side under bike. Had to call tow truck as I didn't want a fire. It was a quick disconnect (plastic). I thought damn they did good putting the fuel lines on opposite side from exhaust. Ultimate Motorsports in Knoxville replaced QD's in record time. If you have plastic ones replace them NOW.
This makes me feel glad I accidentally crushed the plastic QD's on my bike during the 36k teardown last year.

#17 ·
You didn't mention if the bike would still start. I doubt that it will, knowing that the insulation on those wires will melt like candlewax in a gasoline fire. Mine caught on fire when the gas pump didn't shut off automatically.

Those dry chemical fire extinguishers make a mess! Welcome to my hell...

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40099&highlight=engine+fire

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40125&highlight=engine+fire

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40127&highlight=engine+fire

That was in 2008. The bike hasn't given me any trouble since then. I just returned from a 2,000 mile trip, Amarillo to Park City, Utah and back. It didn't use or leak a bit of oil and got 50+ mpg the entire trip.

I say get your tools out and keep the bike. These machines can take a lot of abuse, however, the wiring harness won't tolerate open flames. Seriously.

#18 ·
DasBoat2003 said:
You didn't mention if the bike would still start. I doubt that it will, knowing that the insulation on those wires will melt like candlewax in a gasoline fire. Mine caught on fire when the gas pump didn't shut off automatically.

Those dry chemical fire extinguishers make a mess! Welcome to my hell...

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40099&highlight=engine+fire

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40125&highlight=engine+fire

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40127&highlight=engine+fire

That was in 2008. The bike hasn't given me any trouble since then. I just returned from a 2,000 mile trip, Amarillo to Park City, Utah and back. It didn't use or leak a bit of oil and got 50+ mpg the entire trip.

I say get your tools out and keep the bike. These machines can take a lot of abuse, however, the wiring harness won't tolerate open flames. Seriously.
Pretty sure the bike would start, but I am not going to try. To much risk of another fire or short from shorted wires. It was running perfectly when I hit the kill switch...

I pulled the battery. I washed her up and she sure does look pretty, I remember why I loved her in the first place. Next step is to drain the tank and pull the Tupperware.

Guess I have a new project.

#19 ·
jello4 said:
Pretty sure the bike would start, but I am not going to try. To much risk of another fire or short from shorted wires. It was running perfectly when I hit the kill switch...

I pulled the battery. I washed her up and she sure does look pretty, I remember why I loved her in the first place. Next step is to drain the tank and pull the Tupperware.

Guess I have a new project.
I might be up for a project LT, as if my current one is not enough of a project!

#21 ·
jello4 said:
I know exactly how you feel. There was a time when I liked working on my motorcycles and I liked going on long rides but in the 6 years I have owned the LT those feeling have all but gone away. Almost every maintenance job or repair is a lost weekend of removing and reinstalling bodywork and I have felt myself becoming less and less confident as a rider as I continue to ride it (this has been my only bike that has remained an "it"). I am seriously considering trading it straight across for a 2006 Honda Shadow. At least with that bike I can see all the parts.

#25 ·
So I'm back! Finally got around to tearing in to the bike and while I don't have the absolute source of ignition figured out I know where and what burned. Certainly fixable, not much wiring damage.

What I found was a large pile of oily crud and residue between throttle bodies 2 & 3 from the back side toward the front, probably from a cracked crankcase breather hose. This is exactly the area that there is evidence of burning. The only thing I don't know is what ignited this mess, my working theory is a backfire. I do recall it seemed to backfire immediately prior to the flames. Any way, I will post pics in another thread and seek advice as I begin the rebuild.

-Mike

#26 ·
I do not suggest starting the bike, but if you reconnect all the fuel system and turn the key to the on position a few times you'll hear the fuel pump pressurizing the fuel rail system. If there is a leak somewhere your nose should let you know. Not much risk of another fire either, unless you start it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.