BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I start the bike (after sitting on a trickle charger that reads green) it is very sluggish turning over. I want to take the battery out and have it checked. I have heard that there will something happen in regards to computer when the battery is completely removed. What?? Can the battery store check it under load with it still attached to the bike without harm to the bike?
Thanks

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Nothing bad is going to happen to the computer. You may have to do a throttle position reset. Your alarm may or may not reset to default settings. You might have to reset your clock. I don't know how long you can disconnected before you lose your radio stations, but it can all be put back.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bump...

I am still looking for the answer if the battery can be load tested while still hooked up to the bike?

How does one know if they need a Throttle reset done and how is it done?

Thanks
larry

·
Registered
14,452 Posts
lkniess said:
bump...

I am still looking for the answer if the battery can be load tested while still hooked up to the bike?

Thanks
larry
Once the bike's battery has been disconnected for a bit, after you reinstall it and hooked up to the cables, the Motronic needs a reset of the throttle position sensor. Click here for an explanation and the procedure. I did a search in the HoW pages and found it. HTH on the need to reset the throttle.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
lkniess said:
bump...

Thanks
larry
If you're referring to a load bank type tester I personally wouldn't care to try it while connected to the bike. I have used one on my truck while still connected. It probably would work but given the cost of all the electronics on the bike I don't think it's worth the risk. Take a minute to disconnect the battery. It's not hard to reset anything that loses it's memory.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I can't see what problem would occur with load testing a battery on the bike. It is a resistive load and does not feed ANYTHING back to the bike. You just have to be careful when connecting the + lead that you don't short to ground. I load test batteries on boats all the time and they have some VERY expensive electronics.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts