BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the diagnosis/reset and thought it was the abs relay. I took the relay out and smacked it a few times on the floor. I then tested it with 12v and verified that the switch inside was working. when I put everything back together and now the brake lights are always on and they are reversed. meaning when applied they go off. they are in a constant state of on. When applied I can hear something whining up front. Also the ABS lights are constantly on now when running., What did I do and how do I fix this? Did I mess something up? Is it the relay? Do the lights go through that circuit? HELP!!!!!
The battery is fully charged. :cussing:

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Maybe get another relay and give it a try?

I really know next to nothing about your situation, but my "flying by the seat" technology would suggest that.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I'm not sure which relay you are referring to. Since you didn't remove the wires, maybe applying 12V to the relay caused the problem.

·
Cat Herder
1,458 Posts
Are any of the wires touching the frame or grounding by the relay?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Applying voltage to a relay should only cause it to change state. Once the voltage is removed it will go back to its shelf state that being contacts closed or contacts open depending on what kind of relay it is.

On possibility, although slight, would be the relay put in a different orientation than when you took it out. Check to see if it is possible to rotate it 90 degrees or some other way. This would line up different wires to different contacts and could cause the issue you are talking about.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I just found the ABS relay in the shop manual. It's attached to the ABS unit, has wires that connect under the removeable cover. I wondered if it would be possible to plug it into the base incorrectly and Mike already asked about that. I had the wires loose from the relay when trying to get my ABS unit rebuilt. The wires have different sized connectors that go on different sized studs. Not too easy to cross connect them. I never separated the relay from the base. I can't say if it would fit more than one way.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,113 Posts
The brake lights do not go through the ABS unit at all on the ABS II models. The switches feed the brake light relay direct. The ABS relay only connects to the ABS motor. The ABS motor relay is under the big black cover on the side of the ABS unit. If you did not remove a big black cover you did not get to the ABS motor relay. There is one other relay associated with the ABS but that is the warning realy and drives one of the dash warning lights.

Now I did run into one bike that exhibited your symptoms and it was cause by a brown ground wire that should have been connected to the battery negative post but was connected to the frame of the bike. BMW does not use the frame for a ground return.

This is the best pic I could come up with for the ABS relay

Attachments

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did remove the black cover and took out the relay inside. I didnt mess with other wires that I know of. Where is this brown wire? There is a very thick brown wire that is connected to the battery.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also there is a weird moaning sound like a stuck pump or something either under the gas tank or in the front up by the gauges. I am going to take out the relay again and see if I messed up

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,113 Posts
There should not be any noise makers up under the tank. Unless it is the fuel pump running.

Look around for any stray brown wires bolted to the frame. There is one that connects to the rear of where the starter goes into the transmission and it is tied in two places, That one is supposed to be there. The big brown on the battery should go back to a tie point behind the battery where all the other good brown wires should be.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Now I notice the turn signals work in the front and make the brake in the rear flash. WHAT THE HELL DID I DO???!!! Could I have caused this when I did the diagnostics? Or could this be completely unrelated to what I was doing? I did notice a couple of days ago while riding that the turn signals were very fast, like when your car has a bulb out. I glanced up at the fronts while driving and saw that they were working fast. I did not check the rear. Maybe this happend by itself and is unrelated.? Pray for me... I think my brain or heart is going to explode.

·
Registered
313 Posts
At first I thought you might have a pinched/cut wire from one of your brake switches. I pinched a wire from my rear brake switch on the RT and the stupid thing gave me all kinds of heck until I found it. But from all your other gremlins I'm gonna put my money on a bad or loose ground wire somewhere in the circuit. I believe it's either going to be that or a couple of wires that are bare and touching under some electrical tape or conduit. Start checking the wire harness where it runs up around the steering head and then start down the frame. I'm thinking it's going to be a simple fix ONCE you find it. It will take a good deal of tracing and detective work but I think you'll get it done. I would tell you to be patient, but I wouldn't be able to if I were in your shoes. Take heart though. I farged up my RT once so bad that it wouldn't start or even attempt to fire after I seriously adjusted a TPS that wasn't supposed to be adjusted at all. On a forum much like this one, one kind soul was able to help me trouble shoot the problem and get me back on the road. It took me 3 days to get back to a running motorcycle but in the end I learned some very valuable lessons and also gained a very in depth understanding of my bike. As frustrating as I know this is for you, please do stay focused and stay with it. Someone here will be able to get you back in the running and you'll most likely be very pleased with your bike after you get her back on the road. I'm pulling for you!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After a good night sleep and some morning coffee, I am going to have another look at this problem today. The more I think on itm the more I believe this problem presented itself a few days before I tore into it. When I was giving my wife a ride on the bike I noticed the turn signals were flashing fast, like when a bulb is burned out. The fronts were working and I did not check the rear. If I look at this like an unrelated problem, where do I start? The fuses are all ok.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Kirk,

Your symptoms are sounding more like a bad ground connection to me. (other lights blinking in sync with the front blinkers) As Johnz mentions looking for a brown wire that isn't connected anymore is a good place to look. ( brown is ground)

I would also be sure that the battery connections are tight.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts