BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings Knowers of all Knowledge,

I humbly admit defeat. I've been using my BMW Navigator III for over a year now. When MapSource suggested I needed the NEW map upgrade, I ordered it. When I tried to install it, my Computer to GPS communications stopped working. Tired of screwing with it so I'm hoping to send it back for a refund.

FWIW, I NEVER could get the UPDATED maps to load on my GPS. PERIOD.

Secondly, something wierd was going on USB wise. After I gave up trying to load these maps, I could no longer upload routes to my GPS.

Uninstalled/Reinstalled MapSource and at least I'm back to being able to use this mapping software.

If I had to do this over again, I would not have bothered with GPS on the bike.

And, if I was dumb enough to do it again, I'd go with a straight up Garmin Product (i.e. the 2820) The Navigator III is a dumbed down 2820 in the first place.

:mad: Geesh... What a pain. Glad it's over.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Did Garmin's tech support verify that the new map database software that you tried to install was compatible with a Nav III?

I don't know about the "dumbed down" part. But the "over-priced" part is the reason I would NEVER buy a BMW-badged GPS.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Evidently,

The Garmin Software techies are still scratching their heads.

FWIW, I believe the 2820 does MP3, the Navigator III does not. Hence "dumbed down"

Price-wise, if it hadn't been "free" I would not have gone there.

The good news is that BMW of Fresno took care of the installation issues on their dime. Great folks over there. Thanks Jack, Steve, Al & Homer.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
VICTORY!!! (Sort of...)

Called Garmin again tonight. Yep, it's confirmed. The 2008 Map Update WILL NOT WORK on the BMW NAVIGATOR III. I've been issued a Return Authorization and, to GARMIN's credit, they are footing the return shipping cost. Evidently, they ARE working on a NAVIGATOR III Map Update. No telling when it will come out. Thought you all should know.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dave,

FWIW, I have no real issue with my NAVIGATOR III, even though it is a little bit dumb. Everything works as advertised. My BIG issue is with the Software peeps not making MapSource smart enough to KNOW what kind of GPS Unit is was talking too.

Bottom line: Garmin recognized the issue, are inwork on a fix, and are going to refund my money... NOW if BMW would just make our Final Drives bullet proof! :dance:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank You Garmin!

Greetings All,

The promised refund appeared in my bank account yesterday. Thank you Garmin. To Garmin's credit, they did pay return shipping. An update that worked the first time through would have been great. A company that makes things right is the next best thing IMHO. Cheers.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I ordered the 2008 update for my 2610. Got it, loaded to computer and NOW they are asking for the $75 upgrade fee. I figured they would, but pretty clever to send you the CD for FREE and then ask for money. I'm not that hooked yet though. Can still get around on V8, and don;t see where my area maps have been changed. Maybe later, when money is a flowing a little better.

Hope you guys get your issues workde out.

Randy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts