BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

A few posts ago, I complained about the bike lacking power compared to my previous bike.

Turns out, it most definitely may have been due to the "brown wire" fix needing to be applied, followed by the throttle reset and possibly, the final piece of the puzzle, of premium gas from a particular gas station of all things.

I remember on my old bike, with 36mm Mikuni carbs, that bike had a nasty flat spot around 4,000 rpms, which also was it's sweet spot for maintaining 60mph in 5th gear (4,500 rpm @ 70mph, 5,000 rpm @ 80mph for reference). To eliminate this, I turned out the gas mixture screws on each about 3/4 richer and advanced the ignition 3 degrees. This eliminated it completely, as well as gave me better experience with gas from many gas stations.

Prior to this, I do remember that certain gas stations gas made the bike run better, always using regular as regular has a bit more compression from what I recall.

Now, the bike moves, throws you back into your seat, and gives you the "Ya-Hoo!!!" fun factor that makes you want to ride...

So... one more niggler removed from the complaints "in" bin...

Thanks again to the forum for the find and the fix!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
JackConner said:
Hi,

A few posts ago, I complained about the bike lacking power compared to my previous bike.

Turns out, it most definitely may have been due to the "brown wire" fix needing to be applied, followed by the throttle reset and possibly, the final piece of the puzzle, of premium gas from a particular gas station of all things.

I remember on my old bike, with 36mm Mikuni carbs, that bike had a nasty flat spot around 4,000 rpms, which also was it's sweet spot for maintaining 60mph in 5th gear (4,500 rpm @ 70mph, 5,000 rpm @ 80mph for reference). To eliminate this, I turned out the gas mixture screws on each about 3/4 richer and advanced the ignition 3 degrees. This eliminated it completely, as well as gave me better experience with gas from many gas stations.

Prior to this, I do remember that certain gas stations gas made the bike run better, always using regular as regular has a bit more compression from what I recall.

Now, the bike moves, throws you back into your seat, and gives you the "Ya-Hoo!!!" fun factor that makes you want to ride...

So... one more niggler removed from the complaints "in" bin...

Thanks again to the forum for the find and the fix!
as most will agree the tooling around non highway RPM is most fun in the 4k range, the girl reds out at 8K!!!:D

·
Registered
353 Posts
SmokinJoe said:
as most will aggree the tooling around non highway RPM is most fun in the 4k range, the girl reds out at 8K!!!:D

That is where I find the power start to show.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Well she's no power house, but does pretty darned well for her size and comfort. I'm constantly getting spanked when we're running over about 80 or so - the FJRs and the C14 have way more high end power. Guess that's why everyone's excited about the new 1600.
Having said that, our last trip (guys only, FJRs and C14) I had no problems keeping up and even whuppin' the others. I video'd our run over some passes, and no one go away from the camera. It was even pretty cool to watch the FJR scraping around some of the faster curves, yet I never touched.
She's quite a bike.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Snipping the little 22 gauge wire that ran along side the right side rail under the driver's seat and upon doing so, immediate notice and change in power throughout the entire range of the bike, but especially and more importantly, in 2nd where it had a nasty stall like action when applying the throttle.

Once I did the reset on the throttle, it got even better. Premium gas, also.

If I am going long distance and just doing highway, I would use regular. Why?

More compression from what I remember reading and at the higher highway speeds where the plugs and engine are hot but you are doing in the 4-5,000 rpm range, it wouldn't really have an affect overall. If I am doing backroad twisties and constantly revving her up, then I fill her up with premium.

·
Registered
98 Posts
What exactly does (or did) the brown wire go to? I'm not having any trouble with my 04, but my curiosity is up.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
cutting the brown wire remaps the computer removes a hesitatation only under hot conditions and the higher octane fuel will give more performance and mileage
in search box and type brown wire it will give you all the information you seek

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Cutting the brown wire selects a secondary program in the engine controller to correct for hesitation in low RPM acceleration. It is usually not needed, but for some bikes ridden in hot temps it is a good fix, and it was only implemented for that purpose. It does however REQUIRE that premium fuel be used once the wire is cut.

I am surprised to hear that anyone has noticed much of a performance improvement other than the hesitation being removed. Yes, I did notice a SLIGHT improvement in throttle application response above 3500 RPM on mine, but other than removing the hot hesitation problem I had there was really little performance change. I think this is the affect most who have cut the brown wire have had. Fixed hesitation, but little else.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts