BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picture this: Today in Chicago I look out the window and the sun is trying for a break through. It's 58 temp and high expected for about 69. But I could hear the wind rattling the windows and see the tree branches dancing in the wind. Reports winds from the south bringing with it a thunderstorm late evening to over night.

I have been hibernating for 4 months now and could not wait any longer. Got in my gear, went out to the garage and started the LT. Did my check (even though I rushed it) and I was ready.

Let me say this I joined this forum almost a month now and I have been sticking my head into every thread I could find that represents me and my 1200, touring, camping, tech problems, chit chat and everything else. So I am going south then west and came to my first left turn major street, out in the middle waiting and Chicago 's hallmark the wind attacked me from the south. I stood firm I pass that first test and thought of returning home 5 blocks. Instead I got my sea legs under me, finished the turn and there was no going back. I did a quick 25miles to visit and cranked my baby up to 85 on the I-57. It felt great as I tested different things that I had read. All good. The return was super and the promise of the new season looks bright.

Thanks everyone who has contributed to concerns, new found knowledge, adventure and yes entertainment. You made my day. I say it's time to ride.
ride safe :bmw:

·
Registered
223 Posts
For whatever it's worth: while I'm not inclined to relocate out of the desert Southwest back to Wisconsin or thereabouts, I love my K12 best in the challenging environments I don 't have here. Rain, a little snow, cold--that's when I want to be on the K12. But down here it's a pain to drag it out of the garage when I have a K11 or K75 to toool around on. So I keep it on the battery tender, check things regularly and get it ready for long rides--outside of the Southwest--in the summer.

Larry Johnson
El Paso, TX
2003 K12LT
1996 K11LT (project bike)
1995 K11LT
1993 K11LT (stashed in Washington State)
199l K75RT

·
Premium Member
7,801 Posts
Cool. Glad you had a chance to get out there and get into it.

We had 60 here today. Snow and ice is quickly becoming a memory, hopefully not to return until December. Went out for a couple of hours with my riding buddy. Nice. :cool:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Had a winter storm warning out for most of the day before they cancelled it, they were calling for up to 8" of snow, glad it didn't happen, I am seriously considering moving, 3 months of riding is not enough, and I'm not into snowmobiling anymore!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Had a great ride today, sat down for dinner at home and when I looked out it was snowing again. Will it ever end?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Same thing in N Ontario, after a couple of rides in 6 C weather we have another 4 inches of snow today...boohoo.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ljjohns said:
For whatever it's worth: while I'm not inclined to relocate out of the desert Southwest back to Wisconsin or thereabouts, I love my K12 best in the challenging environments

So you are familiar with the mid west. I did not want to run off at the mouth in my first post but today was the first time my baby was parked for an extended period on the side stand.

The wind was wiping around 30 mph and my buddy and I were watching the antennae and the license plate panel shake. The whole bike shook a little but not enough to move it. Guess I 'm running scared since I read that the wind can take her of the center stand and I was close to his garage. So there 's a challenge for you.

And those of you north of me your turn is coming this burst of southern heat is heading your way north-east It is 73 right now with a threat of thunderstorms tonight. loved it
:bmw: ride safe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts