BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

I removed the top trunk & what a difference

18K views 40 replies 30 participants last post by  johnT 
#1 · (Edited)
Just wondering if it is my imagination or if the differences are real. Last weekend I removed the top trunk in order to preform a "canisterdectomy" and decided to leave it off for a while. The way the bike now handles seems so much better that I am debating as to put it back or not. J

Just removing the weight seems to make the bike more flexible and sporty. Hard to explain, but I wonder if anyone else have had a similar experience? I see a Ft. Worth rack in my future.

#2 ·
PLEASE post a pic of what your bike looks like without it!!!

thanks loads

Pete

#4 ·
I'll try to post several picture is a few minutes. As soon as they develop! It was very easy to remove the top case.. The inside liner pops out. Just a 4 screws hold the case and two cable plugs. The best way to describe the way it handles is to compare a motor home to a sports car. It really seemed to make that much of a difference.

#5 ·
There are lots of pics out there of "topless" LTs (and I don't mean female O-1/O-2/O-3s, if you know what I mean). Here are a few.

Others who have removed the LT top case report similar experiences. I hope to be one of them some time, just too busy with other stuff.

Attachments

#6 ·
#8 ·
hschisler said:
There are lots of pics out there of "topless" LTs (and I don't mean female O-1/O-2/O-3s, if you know what I mean). Here are a few.

Others who have removed the LT top case report similar experiences. I hope to be one of them some time, just too busy with other stuff.

That Blue one really does look like a Light Truck.

It has a nice wide truck bed to haul 2by4's

#9 ·
I removed the top box from my '05LT about 3 weeks ago, rode the bike like that for a while. What a difference in handling especially in the corners. I installed a FW rack with a Backup Back rest and left for the MOA rally in Vermont the next day. A really sporty way to travel to say the least. Got some comments and keen interest in Vermont.

I just returned from my dealer today. (a 500 mile round trip) I was there for the 30,000 km checks, got a number of comments from people at the dealership. As well, an LT rider with Minnesota plates was going by, say my bike and turned into the dealer to take a closer look. Apparently he thought it was a new model from BMW. It looks good and handles great. I would post a picture except I am technologically challenged when it comes to things like that. I will no doubt, put the top box back on when I travel with my wife.. a simple and quick operation.

I also added the short European wind screen. The combination works well, put me back into the AIR and a sportier ride. It ain't the GS but it's gettin' there.

#10 ·
Handlebar said:
Yes Pics would be nice..was it easy to remove?? a detchable trunk would be great..
Hbar - howdy. You got the pix, and for the question on removal ease --- it is super easy to do. In addition to some posts given during this thread, there are others listed near the bottom of this page. Also, on the subject of removing the top case, you'll find the procedure on pages 34, 35 and 36 of the small Rider's Manual (mine is dtd '98). Got pictures/drawings there also. Realizing that if you bought your bike as a used model, you may not have received the Rider's Manual, butt they are very handy to have and you might ax your dealer to get you a copy. HTH.

#12 ·
Now, with all the great and creative minds out there ........ anyone figure out a quick disconnect system for the trunk removal. I do use the trunk quite a bit but not all of the time. It would be nice to be able to "take it off" quickly and reattach it. Looking for the best of both I guess .....

#13 ·
Topless

petevandyke said:
PLEASE post a pic of what your bike looks like without it!!!

thanks loads

Pete
Here is my bike topless but I ride alone most of the time so I like the Corbin Smuggler. It handles about the same As with the tour pack off.

Attachments

#14 ·
There isn't a quick disconnect in terms of a lever you can pull, but it takes less than 5 minutes to get the trunk on or off. One thumbscrew (for the opening strap), four bolts (for the trunk), two bolts (for the seat), and two plugs and you're done. And the same in reverse to reinstall it.

Pretty simple.

#15 ·
When I took my trunk off I put it on the scale and if I remember correctly, it weighs 30lbs. That's enough to notice when you're riding without that weight. I put it back on because I thought the bike looked unbalanced w/too much mass up front and none on the back...just mho.

#16 ·
hschisler said:

Where did that rack come from in place of the trunk in your first picture you posted? is that the standard rack from the top of the trunk?

#17 · (Edited)
fitsman said:
Where did that rack come from in place of the trunk in your first picture you posted? is that the standard rack from the top of the trunk?
It's probably the Fort Worth Rack. Les (skylark) put one on his LT and it really finishes it up nice.

Beady

#18 ·
Handling Problems?

I'm sure that the bike is lighter without the top box, however, I've never even thought that it didn't handle well with it on. At least mine seems to boogie when pushed and the COG seems to be a plus as it works like a pendullum for really easy turn ins. I'm always amazed at how quickly the bike responds to slight inputs and tips in to any turn with apparent ease.
Just my 2 cents.

#19 ·
I'm with you Jerry, first had a Ft. Worth rack then got a smuggler which is the best of both worlds, especially as a daily driver. What kind of back rest is that and where is it mounted? (Sorry for the thread hijack)

Jerrym said:
Here is my bike topless but I ride alone most of the time so I like the Corbin Smuggler. It handles about the same As with the tour pack off.

#21 ·
BilletsGalore said:
I STRONGLY advise AGAINST removal of the top trunk!!

Put it back where it belongs and USE that sucker!! Stuff it full, and LATCH that baby shut!!

:D :D :D
Ok, Ok - dang!

Only thang is, if I do that too often, the darn latch'll brea ................. OH!!! Wait a minute ... I git it!! :eek: :rolleyes: ;) :D :D

Hi, Evan!! Boerne's Starbucks opens on the 18th, next month, if you're in the 'hood.

#24 ·
Side Stand is down

gearman said:
It looks good with the box off ( going to flip my lid soon)

OK so what's holding the bike up? doesn't look like the side stand is down. If you know some levitation tricks please clue me in, that way I will never drop my baby again!!!!
You just can't see it. I hardly ever use the center stand except to do service work. Got to get back to that 24,000 mile service this weekend.....

#25 ·
Yeah, I know this is an old thread, but, I followed the master mechanic's :D frame-by-frame directions and had my trunk off and new rack on in 20 minutes.
Went to a local parking lot and practiced low speed manuevers-WOW-what a difference! Good to know how easy it is. :wave
Many thanks!

#26 ·
DanDiver said:
Just wondering if it is my imagination or if the differences are real. Last weekend I removed the top trunk in order to preform a "canisterdectomy" and decided to leave it off for a while. The way the bike now handles seems so much better that I am debating as to put it back or not. J

Just removing the weight seems to make the bike more flexible and sporty. Hard to explain, but I wonder if anyone else have had a similar experience? I see a Ft. Worth rack in my future.
There is another recent tread called "the topbox is off" Good pic's on it for a custumised rack.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.