BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here’s a dumb one. Some yahoo was revving his mustang next to me at a light. I was in the middle lane; he was to my left. To my right a souped up Hummer caught on and started getting into the act, revving aggressively. I looked up and it was wide open ahead, a nice straight away. It’s just the three of us on the white line; what the heck.

The light turns green and off the kid goes, hard, with the tired ‘ol Mustang chirpping the gears and putting out a nice puff of white smoke on the shifts. The Hummer, also tricked out, believe it or not was in the action. God knows what he has done to the motor; it had huge wheels and it was racing! I was impressed. I flew along effortlessly, just hanging slightly back and with a smile, taking it all in. It seemed I could smoke these boys were I inclined, but I'm not the type to troll for a race. I was on my way to pick up my daughter. Getting into something like this was the last thing on my mind at 43! But I confess there was a thrill just being in the middle of this testosterone fest.

In the fun of it all, I soon realized that the bike (02 LT) was bucking in and out of power. I looked down, and holy sh*t, I forgot to shift! The thing was pegged on the tach. I threw it up into 4th, bolted ahead and went on my way.

Point of post: It seems many, if not nearly all, of us are anxiety prone with these bikes and seek affirmation on this site. So please tell me I did no harm! :cool:

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Probably just the rev limiter in the fuel control (at least I think it has one) causing the surging.
Electronic fuel control engines typically have them.
Jim H.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
All that I can say, is that if you damaged yours this one time, mine's been damaged 50 or 60 times now. And I plan on damaging it even more in the very near future. Fun, ain't it?

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
The fat lady protects herself with an electronic rev limiter. You just hit that, like many of us have. No worry. It is surprising when it happens, but just back off a little and keep going.

·
Cat Herder
1,486 Posts
I hit the rev limiter all the time... I get rolling and can't here the engine and look down at the tach and oops I need to shift.

P.S. - hitting the limiter ensures that the cobs have been blow out the exhaust pipe... LOL

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Jim, Frank, and David and everyone else on this wonderful site.

Looks like I got away with one. I did the brown wire snip after studying this site to give it more rpms on take off, and now I gave it too many rpms on take off. In the back of the mind, you wonder if you've messed up.

Like I said about the anxiety level, you read all the posts on this site and think something is sure to go wrong, that the LT is some delicate pure-bred kitten that constantly needs an upscale vet. On the other hand, this is my first bike, period, and it has been indestructible. My only previous riding experience was to hop on a dirt bike a couple of times when I was 12; that's it. I listened to Victor at the Boerne shop explain the bike to me and rode this girl 6 hrs home from the dealer.

I have made every mistake imaginable, including dropping it too many times to count, whoops. Twice from hitting the front brake while turning the wheel right on a stop-- don't do that-- twice while trying to make a left uturn in the neighborhood street and the other times while trying put it up in the garage. One of the times I snapped off the peg.

And now I've redlined it. I've had this thing a year and a half and have put about 7k on it. It has been patient, does all I can ask, and ironically is a great first bike. Learning tonight about the rev limiter, it seems the LT was engineered for contingencies brought on by dopes like me. I love my LT.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I know what you are talkin about. I had a K1200RS. On my first ride, I took it to a road with some long sweepers and some tight twisties. I came to the sweepers first , I didn't know how well the bike would handel so I just put it in third gear and started out slow. I would lean into a curve and at the apex roll on some throttle, next curve lean and roll on throttle. After four or five curves I wondered how fast I was goin. I look at the speedo,, 100MPH!!!,,, 9,000RPM!!! I didn't even know! That bike was so fast, so smooth, so quiet, I sold it. I did try to ride it within the speed limit, but it just wanted to GO!! It was goin to get me in trouble. Either with a LEO or I would get into a curve to fast and not know it till it was to late.

·
Registered
656 Posts
In typical female fashion the lady was telling you to pay attention to her not the rear ends up the road shame on you. :) My lady does that from time to time with me as well no harm.

Raindog said:
Here’s a dumb one. Some yahoo was revving his mustang next to me at a light. I was in the middle lane; he was to my left. To my right a souped up Hummer caught on and started getting into the act, revving aggressively. I looked up and it was wide open ahead, a nice straight away. It’s just the three of us on the white line; what the heck.

The light turns green and off the kid goes, hard, with the tired ‘ol Mustang chirpping the gears and putting out a nice puff of white smoke on the shifts. The Hummer, also tricked out, believe it or not was in the action. God knows what he has done to the motor; it had huge wheels and it was racing! I was impressed. I flew along effortlessly, just hanging slightly back and with a smile, taking it all in. It seemed I could smoke these boys were I inclined, but I'm not the type to troll for a race. I was on my way to pick up my daughter. Getting into something like this was the last thing on my mind at 43! But I confess there was a thrill just being in the middle of this testosterone fest.

In the fun of it all, I soon realized that the bike (02 LT) was bucking in and out of power. I looked down, and holy sh*t, I forgot to shift! The thing was pegged on the tach. I threw it up into 4th, bolted ahead and went on my way.

Point of post: It seems many, if not nearly all, of us are anxiety prone with these bikes and seek affirmation on this site. So please tell me I did no harm! :cool:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well, am I glad no one of you lives within less than 300 miles from me, so the chances I may endup buying your used bike one day are practically none. :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
I thought hitting the Rev Limiter WAS the shift point? :D

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
That's the point of the rev limiter, to help avoid doing serious damage. So I'm sure you're just fine.

But it was a helluva lot of fun, wasn't it??? :D

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hitting the rev limiter to check and make sure it is working is part of each 6000 mile checkup..... and some of us like to maintain our bikes on the short mileage side.....

·
Registered
910 Posts
rkimmel2 said:
I'm a lot older than 43, but it still gives a kind of tingle in the groin when I let her rip. Boys will be boys.
That second gear wheelie is a hoot too...... not that I have ever reached it.......MUsta been the music on the radio..... :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
i have a 05 LT that i just got 3 months back, and took my 16 year old son out for a nice ride, when i had CBR600 pulled up next to us at a light, so i thought lets see what this lt has to offer..... That second gear wheelie was GREAT.. i keep up with the CBR !!! gave him a good run... love my LT !!! :dance:

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
A kid on a crotch rocket passed me on the way home the other day. I caught up with him when a car slowed to turn left in front of us. He romped on his rocket and we were out in the country so I romped on my LT. He ducked down and I lowered my windscreen. He pulled away from me of course but he could still see me behind him when I crossed the creek bridge doing 130 mph..............Even at 61 I have a need for speed....... :D

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Sometimes it's fun to take the tach and see how far it will go.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
You won't hurt a thing...

By the way,,, Do that in first.. Leave the throttle pinned on the rev limiter and shift into second, dump the clutch and see what happens....

She will lift the front end...Not far though..

John

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
John,

Far from making me hold my hat in my hand, stare at my shoes, and apologize for my redline transgression, you and the last few posts make me want to do it again and again!

When you say "dump the clutch," what does that mean??

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Let it out "quickly"...

Mostly just kidding.. I wouldn't abuse an LT that way....:rolleyes:

She's a pretty spirited animal when you let her go all out...

Smooth shifts and high revs are what make the LT fly..

Proper operation on the twisties is 5-8k using the engine for braking and acceleration.

She loves the high revs... That little vibration you'll feel at 4.5K revs is the LT's way of telling you "Let's Go !"

Have fun..

John

1 - 20 of 28 Posts