BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had an idea...

Is it possible to run an I-pod through the audio cord on my Street Pilot Garmin GPS. I'm amazed this did not occur to me earlier. Right now the audio plug is too small for an I-Pod... but an adapter should work.

My thought is the end result could be GPS with no annoying voice and and active I-Pod... and the biggee... more saddlebag space with the 6-changer gone.

Any thoughts or advice appreciated.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Two issues that come to my mind: the Garmin power/audio harness is a 2.5mm mono not stereo jack; the ipod plug is 3.5mm stereo. You would only get mono output from your iPod assuming you could get some kind of "Y" adapter to interface with your iPod and headset connection. Secondly, your iPod music would not be muted when voice directions are issued by your Garmin. I think both would run together. (I think others on this forum have developed a way to prioritize audio signals though).

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Perhaps this little passive mixer may come in handy for you. I use it on my IntaRide Intercom to put my GPS and Valentine One into one input. Works PERFECTLY!

Chris, you'd be able to plug your GPS and your iPod into the mixer, than plug that into wherever your GPS is currently plugged into. Make sense?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,246 Posts
That jack on the stock Garmin cord it an output - not an input and it is mono.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A big 10-4 on the Mono issue. Of course that won't do. Thanx for the brain power. The cheater box is interesting Joe.

·
Registered
27 Posts
iPod to Radio Aux in

I had my dealer wire a din plug to the end of a normal mini stereo and plug it into the aux input on the back the radio of my 05and the mini stereo end run into the glove box.. I put the iPod in the glove box. No power to the iPod but I get all day on the battery. I also have a cable that plugs into the flat bottom jack of the iPod which has audio out output. Turn the iPod volume done as low as it goes to save battery life. Also better sound quality than the mini stereo out at the top of the iPod.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ipod ICE

I seem to remember this forum having a thread refering to a product called ICE. I'm not sure exactly how well it worked because I was using a non ipod MP3.
I tried doing a search but didn't get any results.
We need some help from some of the senior members who might remember this product.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
dlancello said:
I seem to remember this forum having a thread refering to a product called ICE. I'm not sure exactly how well it worked because I was using a non ipod MP3.
I tried doing a search but didn't get any results.
We need some help from some of the senior members who might remember this product.
Dave - pull a search on Dice, read thru some threads and see if that might be your item. Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts