BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Old Dawg
3,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of switching teams after 20 years of being a Windows PC guy. Any thoughts, advice or input?

·
Cat Herder
5,852 Posts
Other than you're going to like the experience? No, not really.

MAC OS is a little bit different in it's user experience, but thats just it. it's different. BTW: If you don't like the included trackpad, just use a standard USB mouse and/or keyboard.

Oh, yes, one thing: OS X LOVES memory. Don't skimp on the memory and you'll love it even better!

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
scottydawg said:
I am thinking of switching teams after 20 years of being a Windows PC guy. Any thoughts, advice or input?
Since you're in a spending mood, order me one too:D

·
Old Dawg
3,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
andy said:
BTW: If you don't like the included trackpad, just use a standard USB mouse and/or keyboard.
It's the desktop version so there's no trackpad. ;)
I'm getting 4GB of memory, do you that is enough?

·
Old Dawg
3,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ted Shred said:
Since you're in a spending mood, order me one too:D
180 days same as cash :)

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Scott,
I've been thinking of doing the same thing, who are you ordering from?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I did the same thing about a year ago. Only one negative: There are still sites and programs that require a PC or a MAC that will run windows. In our household the issues are:

Card Scan
AutoNation employee access
HAR (Houston Association of Realtors) Realtor access

We have simply kept our Laptops for those. Besides that, I love it!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Wolfgang said:
I did the same thing about a year ago. Only one negative: There are still sites and programs that require a PC or a MAC that will run windows. In our household the issues are:

Card Scan
AutoNation employee access
HAR (Houston Association of Realtors) Realtor access

We have simply kept our Laptops for those. Besides that, I love it!
I would add Garmin's Mapsource program to Wolfgang's PC only (at this time) software. I also have kept one Windows laptop for PC only programs, despite the fact that you can run Windows on a Mac if you choose to.

Transition to the Apple products and the superb OS X operating software has made my computing experience much more enjoyable.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
jhsonderb said:
I would add Garmin's Mapsource program to Wolfgang's PC only (at this time) software. I also have kept one Windows laptop for PC only programs, despite the fact that you can run Windows on a Mac if you choose to.

Transition to the Apple products and the superb OS X operating software has made my computing experience much more enjoyable.
Yes, I forgot that one...

·
Registered
507 Posts
amarider said:
Scott,
I've purchased directly from the Apple store for a custom configuration (extra ram, wireless keyboard package, etc):

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore

and also from MacMall which sells the products at a slight discount for standard configured computers:

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/cat/AppleHardware/category.asp

I am not affiliated with either. Just a satisfied customer

·
Cat Herder
5,852 Posts
scottydawg said:
It's the desktop version so there's no trackpad. ;)
I'm getting 4GB of memory, do you that is enough?
4GB is enough for everything but the most memory intesive applications. If you do LARGE photos like posters you may want to get more, but for everything other than LARGE pictures or big movie projects 4GB will serve you just fine.

·
Old Dawg
3,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
amarider said:
Scott,
I am ordering from Apple directly. I will tell you that if you want to save some pretty big dollars make sure and get the education discount (Jessica attending Sac State was my in on that). I saved $600 on my order.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Buying Apples

Apple also do refurb probucts with full warranty etc - from the home page go to the store and in the bottom left corner is a link to Special deals. Looks as though it is not such a good deal as the education discount but it is another option.

regards

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
jhsonderb said:

Ya might want to hit the Forums and see if Garmin will run under Parallels.

·
Miles of Smiles
1,045 Posts
Two for the Price of One

Currently have a spec'ed up MacBook, my "umteenth" Mac since 1989. Running BootCamp with Windows XP Pro (no plans to go to Vista) Nothing I can't do or open with that. Getting Rena an "AirBook" soon and with that combination "Life is Good" ( One does have to make some compromises while on tour :histerica )

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,157 Posts
Scotty, I think you can safely go back to your "gigolo" title! :histerica
scottydawg said:
I am ordering from Apple directly. I will tell you that if you want to save some pretty big dollars make sure and get the education discount (Jessica attending Sac State was my in on that). I saved $600 on my order.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts