BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I mounted my 2003 K1200LT to come home from work, I discovered that the left mirror assembly was missing. I've put my request on Beemer Boneyard's parts wanted list. Are there any other sources? New will cost over $600. The color is Impala Brown, but I will probably take any color and re-paint if my original color is not available.

Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks,

I put in a request with Fred Rowland and will check Ebay. I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have a black & chrome left mirror with glass off of a 2006 LT with less than 15K miles. The contacts springs are in excellent condition, I believe I had the mirror off only three times. I don't remember if the 2003 had the chrome trim on the mirror or not but I do believe the mirror will fit. Looking on the inside of the housing I found this number 2 347 2039.
I will take $150, pick up the shipping and give you a money back guarantee if it does not fit.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
c00k1e said:
Ebay has a few. Tie them on with fishing wire so you don't loose them
Fishing wire does not work.
Do not ask how I know.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fred,

I'll buy it. Let me know how to pay you and the money will be on it's way. Do you have PayPal? If you have a right-side mirror too, I'll take it for a friend.

I've also sent you an email with my address and phone #. Let me know if you need any additional information.

Thanks

·
Registered
360 Posts
I purchased mine from Ebay. Thay are a Chinese knockoff. There has been several discussions relating to this issue. I purchased the left mirror for $150 complete. Great fit and perfect style. Comes in any color as long as it is silver. Can be painted. The only issue I had was the glass assembly had a slight vibration. 2 strategically placed foam ear plugs eliminated that problem. Good luck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I lost mine on a mexico trip...plastic wire ties work well just incase they get bumped off.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I lost my right mirror in Dec of 2005. It was impala brown too. I paid $248.00 to replace it at Malcolm Smith BMW of Riverside, CA; you can add them to the closed BMW dealer list. Plastic ties, they break too; Bob's BMW sells aircraft cable for around $20.00, and it works to prevent a mirror loss from lane splitting. :bmw:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone. I am ordering the cables from Bob's BMW and if Fred gets back to me, I will get the mirror from him.

I looked on Ebay and couldn't find any mirrors at all. I went to the motorcycle section and did a search on mirrors and got zero matches. I'll try again. Any advice on where/how to find them?

The retail prices are crazy. just the painted cover is $200 and the mirror assembly is over $400. It's not just us, though. My niece says that just the red plastic cover over one of her Mazda's tail lights cost over $200.

I appreciate everyone's help. You are the GREATEST!

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
I lost a mirror on a pot hole, and it broke the steel fishing line I had used. Get the mirror tethers.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
dougholck said:
Fishing wire does not work.
Do not ask how I know.
+1- too thin for those high speed maneuvers....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just to bring this thread to conclusion:

I've sent the money to Fred and he is shipping the mirror to me. I have ordered the cables from Bob's. One of the guys at the dealership knows where I can get the trim painted to match my "Impala Brown" LT so all will be well in the near future. Thanks again for all the help. :dance:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Glad I could help. That was the last of my LT parts that I had from my get off and subsequent totaling.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
hwread said:
If you mean steel fishing leaders, They certainly DO work. Been using them for 10 years and 300k on two LT's.
That's exactly how I lost mine using cheap wally world steel fishing leaders. :(

·
Registered
688 Posts
I had the steel leaders on mine, but one pothole broke the clamp that was screwed to the bike. Now I have both, steel leader and zip tie.

Ultra LT

·
Registered
35 Posts
Titanium fishing leaders from Bass Pro Shop, I hit a 1 ft deep pot hole at 40 mph, both mirrors fell off but the leader held up. I hit so hard I'm surprised I didn't bent the front wheel.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I received and installed the "mirror rescue" cables from Bob's BMW ($16.95 for the pair). They are very well-made and easy to install. I'm quite confident they will not break. I sure wish I had installed them before I lost the mirror. :( I won't lose another one.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts