BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,
This is just to encourage others and maybe pat myself on the back a little too.
I had a bad oil leak on my Y2K LT that I knew I needed to address. At 60K miles it seemed stupid to not replace the clutch at the same time, even though it was working perfectly. It was also time for a 24K service. I ordered the clutch and 24K kit from Beemer Boneyard (A++ service BTW) and the other required parts from my local BMW dealer in Fife Wa. (also good people).
So, somewhere around $350ish in parts, plus fluids that I already had.
My HF motorcycle lift paid for itself on this job alone. It too me a few days to strip the bike down, replace all the filters, drain all the oils, remove the trans and clutch and put it all back together. It took a few days as I did not have all day each day to work on it, so several hours each day.
Today I got all the trim and plastic back on and took it out for a test drive. All is well. I even had the time to fix the cruise control (stupid throttle switch). :dance:
So, I figure that I saved myself several thousand dollars over taking it to the dealer. 24K service, clutch, rear main seal, and cruise control repair. Oh, and I got myself a Clymers just for this job, WOW, that thing is thick! Good value ($35 on Amazon) and helped save me time and money.
So, you can do it too. At one point I looked around the garage at the mess of parts and thought "what did I just do?", but one piece at a time it all went back together. Don't be afraid to tackle this beast, it is worth it!
I figure even after buying the HF lift, the Clymers, and paying myself $25 an hour I still came out way ahead.
I got my new tires on a few weeks back and now all this done, I am ready for this season:D

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
Good on ya, Scott. Great accomplishment to do what you did as a first time event. Glad the forum gurus at various projects helped you out with stellar advice. Hopefully, you won't need to get that up-close-n-personal again!! Best always, Scott.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Great job! Now I know who to call when it is time for a clutch job on my bike. ;)

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
The word's out.... Scott can do a clutch and rear main seal! :D

I did my LT years ago; and then 4 more... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Working on the bikes I don't mind and will help anyone that wants the help, just don't ask me to work on your car, they make me mad. I just rebuilt the 46RE auto trans in my 99 Dodge truck, I hope to never do that again. I have worked as a mechanic on autos, diesels, Aircraft(military 14 years) and heavy equipment. I enjoy working on Motorcycles.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Anytime you can keep the stealers out of your pocket is a good thing, but the sense of accomplishment has got to be great too. Good job.:yeah:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Great to hear because today I'm looking at that pile of parts on the floor of my garage thinking "What have I done"! As soon as I get the new anti-freeze I hope it all goes back together like yours did. Your post gives me hope :)

·
Registered
506 Posts
Working on the bikes I don't mind and will help anyone that wants the help, just don't ask me to work on your car, they make me mad. I just rebuilt the 46RE auto trans in my 99 Dodge truck, I hope to never do that again. I have worked as a mechanic on autos, diesels, Aircraft(military 14 years) and heavy equipment. I enjoy working on Motorcycles.
:) I spent many...MANY...hours working on Jeep CJ-5 and CJ-7's. Sometimes frustrated and mad, other times having fun. Working on the LT I have times I say WTF were they thinking??? but in general it is a nice bike to work on because things just fit. I don't have to use "Jeep-finesse" (a.k.a. - big hammer or grinder) to make things fit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts