BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have enjoyed redneck jokes for years, but it's time to take a reflective look at the core beliefs of a culture that values home, family, country, and God.

If I had to stand before a dozen terrorist threatening my life, I'd choose a half dozen or so rednecks to back me up. Tire irons, squirrel guns, and grit -- that's what rednecks are made of.

You might be a redneck if . . .
  1. It never occurred to you to be offended by the phrase, "One nation, under God."
  2. You've never protested about seeing the Ten Commandments posted in public places.
  3. You still say "Christmas" instead of "Winter Festival."
  4. You bow your head when someone prays.
  5. You stand and place your hand over your heart when they play the National Anthem.
  6. You treat American Veterans with great respect, and always have.
  7. You've never burned an American flag.
  8. You know what you believe and you aren't afraid to say so, no matter who is listening.
  9. You respect your elders and expect your kids to do the same.
  10. You'd give your last dollar to a friend, and then forgot about it.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Redneck

There are not enough of us 'rednecks' in public office. The thoughts you express are basically those I grew up with, still follow, and wonder why everyone doesn't.
BTW Joe, when are you going to take credit for posing for Raffy's Year Round Riding T-Shirt???

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dcwchfc said:
BTW Joe, when are you going to take credit for posing for Raffy's Year Round Riding T-Shirt???
Most of those guys that wear that shirt are just posers. The 'real' year round riders don't need NO STINKIN' T-SHIRT!!! :D

·
Prodigal Son
1,297 Posts
You really need six of us???

·
Premium Member
1,575 Posts
I am no longer just a redneck...

messenger13 said:
... it's time to take a reflective look at the core beliefs of a culture that values home, family, country, and God....
Where is the reflection we are bringing to the table if we merely accept the "core beliefs" that have been handed to us without consideration for those they may exclude from the conversation, those issues that are more complex than slogan or "bumper sticker" piss-points, or which may threaten our sense of well-being and security?

If I had to stand before a dozen terrorist threatening my life, I'd choose a half dozen or so rednecks to back me up. Tire irons, squirrel guns, and grit -- that's what rednecks are made of.
As I was growing up on a farm in Missouri I saw younger men without red necks because we took our shirts off as we did our chores. Our tan lines were lowered to our butts. It was a nod toward recreation and a subtle way of indicating we might prefer to be doing something else. Older men who had grown to appreciate the value of clothing that protects from the harsh rays of the sun, or who had given up the notion that toiling under the sun without a shirt was recreational, or who gave little or no time to boating or lounging at poolside, these men had red necks.

M. Scott Peck died recently, I believe. To him I attribute a notion that lodged in my head and I share here. Our modern times affords many of us the opportunity that was once only given the over-classes and that is this: We have discretionary time--recreational time if you please. This time affords us the opportunity for reflection or to look at something from a different perspective.

Redneck is essentially a shorthand for saying someone is tied to the land through toil and hence has no discretionary time for recreation or re-creation, which is the end result of reflection. Seldom are old men and women called "rednecks" perhaps in part because they have escaped the chains that tie them to toiling the land, have established for themselves places of reflection and exercise their mental and symbolic selves as surely as they exercised their physical selves through toil. They have escaped the burning rays of the sun through re-creational activities. We are pitiful indeed if any of us chooses to remain in chains when the opportunities for exercising other muscles calls to us. We remain as youths unaware that those harsh rays can lead toward cancers or simply lowers our tan-lines to our butts.;)

You might be a redneck if . . .
  1. It never occurred to you to be offended by the phrase, "One nation, under God."
  2. You've never protested about seeing the Ten Commandments posted in public places.
  3. You still say "Christmas" instead of "Winter Festival."
  4. You bow your head when someone prays.
  5. You stand and place your hand over your heart when they play the National Anthem.
  6. You treat American Veterans with great respect, and always have.
  7. You've never burned an American flag.
  8. You know what you believe and you aren't afraid to say so, no matter who is listening.
  9. You respect your elders and expect your kids to do the same.
  10. You'd give your last dollar to a friend, and then forgot about it.
If I or anyone else begins to reflect on any of these ten items it might suggest that differientiation from what has been handed to us has begun to take place, without negating the cultural or personal values of those gifts of perspective and influence. If any of us have the time and inclination to do anything besides reading the list above and posting a "Yah, that's me!" sorta reply before returning to our toils, then we are probably wearing some type of protection from what "shines" down upon us and burns our necks red.:) Or at least I pretend that I do.:p

·
IBR# 366
16,560 Posts
Well said, Edgar.

And what if #8 conflicts with items 1 through 4? Does that make me wrong, for having my own core values and beliefs that are just as strong as any bumper sticker slogans, or does that invalidate the entire list, thus casting doubts on those who would rather have their values handed to them in a nice, neat package?

I don't think either of us is wrong, but I do have more respect for those who have come to their beliefs through introspection and personal reflection, rather than just following the crowd. I usually find those people are much more tolerant of alternative opinions, and much stronger when their beliefs are tested in the real world.

Sorry, but I just don't think I'll ever be a redneck.

Though it does conjure up amusing images of an LT up on blocks in the front yard, with an italicized #3 spray painted on the side fairing and the radio blasting out twangy country music. :)

·
Prodigal Son
1,297 Posts
The road is long-------he ain't heavy he's --Edgar

Thanx man, quite honestly I'm was not quite as awake this am as you were.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not to worry Meese...you'll never be a redneck, accused, or confused as one.

All us rednecks knew what you wuz gonna type, before you typed it.

·
IBR# 366
16,560 Posts
Sure about that? I was sorta thinking of changing horses mid-race. ;)

I'm not against all that you posted, just some of the underlying assumptions. But then y'all knew that already. :)

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
You are feaking insane!

no way am i riding in that crap.........

more than the once I already did <grin>

Of course it wasn;t taht bad, we onlyh had like 4" of snow when i came over the mountain, snow don't roll off your faceshield no sir it dont!

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Joe you have probably just insulted many on this board with your redneck relegious beliefs

and I've given my last dollar to a friend in need........ so i guess i ain;t no redneck no mo <g>

·
Registered
351 Posts
red necks

Did you know a welshman discovered America, his name was Prince Madog.
and guess what there,s a tribe of welsh speaking Indians living in America.
I wonder if you have ever heard of a village called Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllantysilliogogoch

In the text books for children it says Taffy was a liar and Taffy was a thief Taffy came to my house and stole a piece of beef.
Does that mean these red necks are all thieves and liars?.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Translates to...

Saint Mary's Church in the hollow of the white hazel near a rapid whirlpool and the Church of St. Tysilio of the red cave.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Maybe that's the reason he is the "Word of reason"...

·
Registered
426 Posts
Well I was brought up in Alabama in the 50s-60s as a Redneck and number 1 "actually" had to do with a person of a different color. Fortunately I survived, opened my eyes, and grew up not to be a Redneck. #8 I've burned flags 4 times in my life. 3 because they were worn and tatered and 1, three days after I had just spent 5 years 5 months and 1 hour as one of those veterans. So do you still respect me.

#1 - #5 That's your business, just don't try to push it on me.

I finally found a reason to go back to Alabama this winter, other than visit family, defeat Roy Moore.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hear Hear! Number ONE is MY business. Just don't take "One nation, under God." out . . . and I promise not to get mad when you don't say it.
Just sad...that's all. Just sad...

(Why's it getting so hot? . . . and what are we all doing in this basket anyway?!)

·
IBR# 366
16,560 Posts
And I won't get mad if you choose to say it, even when it is taken out. See how easy that was?

As for the hand basket, if you don't believe in god, heaven, or hell, then there really is nothing to worry about, now is there? Just enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
meese said:
And I won't get mad if you choose to say it, even when it is taken out. See how easy that was?
See?! You not happy unless you're taking something AWAY from me. Something that I hold dear to my heart. Thank you for YOUR tolerance. Or does tolerance only count when you're the one using the word? What's wrong Ken...can't you "tolerate" the word God? Can't you "tolerate" the fact that I want to say it? Can't you "tolerate" the fact that my kids want to pray in school? Can't you "tolerate" anything? Hhmmmn...

Didn't think so...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts