BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a mid-week bike gathering with everything from Dressers to stretched sport bikes. I had a couple step into the path of my LT because they didn't hear it. I guess loud pipes do save lives.[/FONT]

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
MHonaker said:
I was at a mid-week bike gathering with everything from Dressers to stretched sport bikes. I had a couple step into the path of my LT because they didn't hear it. I guess loud pipes do save lives.[/FONT]
If you didn't hit anyone, how did they save a life???

·
Registered
12 Posts
bigbear said:
If you didn't hit anyone, how did they save a life???
I think he meant if he had hit one and gotten gunk on his bike, he would have killed one of .'em

·
Premium Member
3,180 Posts
Hearing is only one of the senses, sight is pretty cool to use when walking or driving :rolleyes:

·
Registered
726 Posts
This is a very old sell, Loud pips save lives. I have bin riding since I was 6/yrs to the present (51) now. Common sense and patience will always over ride the need for Loud pipes. :stir:

·
Registered
929 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Here is the paradox: virtually all those H-D owners that insist loud pipes save lives and are therefore a saftety issue, for some strange reason fail to take even minimal precautions when it comes to gear. These safety conscious loud pipe advocates don't wear helmets, jackets, protective pants, and often even gloves. Hmm. Do you suppose there is another reason they might favor loud pipes? I believe there is. It's called the, "Hey-everyone -look -at- me,- I'm- riding -a -big -bad- motorcycle syndrome. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
It's called the, "Hey-everyone -look -at- me,- I'm- riding -a -big -bad- motorcycle syndrome. Just a thought.

Not unlike one of those culls from OCC that says, "You ride one of these, and you get respect". Oh give me a frickin' break!!!

I just rode the Million Dollar Highway in Colorado, a road with super tight switchbacks. It was those stupid SOB's on Harleys that wouldn't get the hell out of the way so a "motorcycle enthusiast", not a "biker", could enjoy them. Sorry for the rant. I was so pissed I couldn't see straight. Finally passed 3 of them on the inside of a 180 degree curve.

On a lighter note: it may well depend on how far up your a$$ you have your head that determains what you hear and what you do not. Coefficient of cranial-rectitus.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Loud pipes and bikers dressing like Pirates Ummm lets see which one is more of a distraction. I think the answer would be more horsepower saves lives with common sense in the inside the helmet.

Harley riders is it Halloween yet or do we dress like Pirates all year. :histerica :histerica :histerica

Al
Spokane
WA

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
I always wanted to have a loop recording of a loud harley so I could blast it through the sound system when they say things like, "I can't hear you is your bike running".

·
Registered
27 Posts
I took some baseball cards and clothespins and pinned them so they click when my LT's spokes hit em. Sounds just like a Harley. Kinda. Sorta.....Not.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ha ha. :) Brings me back to when I first started collecting baseball cards. Clothespinned a couple of 1964 Mickey Mantle cards to my front tire....Good thing I saved the rest of them. :rotf: Hope to retire early with the collection of older ones or maybe buy a new LT in 2020 :D

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Come on y'all, you're making it way to easy,
first post, no profile....what does that tell ya?
my guess is the second post will be an oil related thread.

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
MHonaker said:
Did your horn quit working? I find the LT horn quite effective on daydreaming pedestrians. I think some ended up with a laundry problem. :)

·
Registered
809 Posts
Damn those eclectics.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Loud riding suits save lives! I've never read about a motorcycle accident where the cager claimed that they "didn't hear them coming" so they just pulled out.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I thought I would throw my $.02 in on this subject....I work as an EMT on a 911 response ambulance. I can tell you from daily experience that the "Head up the ass" syndrome pretty well eliminates any loud anything saving lives...I drive a vehicle that will probably cause permanent hearing loss if you are directly in front of it when the siren goes on, plus the visual emergency lighting array is, should I say, very hard to miss, especially at night. Yet, cagers are constantly pulling out in front of me or not pulling over at all! I can assure you from personal observation, drivers that have cell phones stuck to their heads wouldn't hear a "loud pipe" if their lives depended on it (even though someone elses life does) and some people stereos would make a loud pipe on a harley sound more like mouse fart in comparison. I really think that if a loud pipe saved any life at all, it was purely an accident.

·
Registered
313 Posts
sorchilla said:
I always wanted to have a loop recording of a loud harley so I could blast it through the sound system when they say things like, "I can't hear you is your bike running".
The guys at my local BMW dealer were hysterical when they told me about a guy driving in on a Honda Ruckus to get some tires. He asked if they had them in stock and I guess they did so he brought his scooter around to the service entrance. They said they could hear him coming from around the block because he had some huge killer speakers on that thing and had a looped soundtrack of a Harley with loud pipes blaring over the speakers. Said it sounded like a train wreck about to happen and then this guy pulls around on a small scooter. I didn't see it, but by their reaction it must have been priceless. The Ruckus rider said he did this just to piss off the bad boys on their Harleys and apparently he was very successful at it. Got to love someone with a sense of humor don't you?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts