BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode to work today (beautiful day to do it). Pulled into the parking lot, and dang - the electric center stand doesn't work :wow: ! Grumbling, I head into the office, and in between spreadsheets I'm poring over this forum to look at what could be wrong. Started with looking at a new system from BMW - $1000 for the part. Um, no. Then I see a terrific write up on re-building, and I'm sold, but it seems like a fair bit of work, so I'm disappointed about this all day (actually my birthday today too, although my colleagues made it awesome....).

Towards the end of the day I spot a post that comments on "BMW seems to think that if it's in gear, the side stand is down or the brakes are on that you can't put it on the center stand". Uh oh - coz I was on a slight hill I think I might of had the the brakes on - surely I wasn't THAT stupid. I must check that when I leave the office.

Well, let's just say, if you have a center stand, it won't go down if you're holding the brake, the side stand is down or it's in gear - yeah, I knew that..... :rolleyes: Ranks right up there when my Honda VTX1800 was new to me - danged thing would stall when putting it in gear, but of course the side stand was down.... That stuff never happened in the 80's!!

Now off to dinner to celebrate not having to rebuild that thing!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Happy Birthday Rowan :dance:

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Ya just gotta love a story with a happy ending!

Happy Birthday!

Loren

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yeah, I did exacty the same thing the first day I had the LT - thought I'd bought a bad 'un for a few moments.........

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Happy birthday...

just keep that link handy though.. .you just never know when..... ;)

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
rowie said:
Rode to work today (beautiful day to do it). Pulled into the parking lot, and dang - the electric center stand doesn't work :wow: ! Grumbling, I head into the office, and in between spreadsheets I'm poring over this forum to look at what could be wrong. Started with looking at a new system from BMW - $1000 for the part. Um, no. Then I see a terrific write up on re-building, and I'm sold, but it seems like a fair bit of work, so I'm disappointed about this all day (actually my birthday today too, although my colleagues made it awesome....).

Towards the end of the day I spot a post that comments on "BMW seems to think that if it's in gear, the side stand is down or the brakes are on that you can't put it on the center stand". Uh oh - coz I was on a slight hill I think I might of had the the brakes on - surely I wasn't THAT stupid. I must check that when I leave the office.

Well, let's just say, if you have a center stand, it won't go down if you're holding the brake, the side stand is down or it's in gear - yeah, I knew that..... :rolleyes: Ranks right up there when my Honda VTX1800 was new to me - danged thing would stall when putting it in gear, but of course the side stand was down.... That stuff never happened in the 80's!!

Now off to dinner to celebrate not having to rebuild that thing!
Yeah, it was better in the old days when you made that first left turn with the kickstand still down....NOT.

Happy Belated Birthday!!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Happy birthday, glad it was nothing more.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I've had my LT since beginning Aug and have stumbled on some of the idiosyncrasies of new bikes and this one in general.
If the side kickstand is down you stall. I was really getting pi$$ed off at the bike until I realized what was going on. Great feature once you know it's there. I had read through the manual a couple times and missed that.
I love the bike and will be taking off for a fun filled ride this morning!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts