BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I got everything stripped off my LT I figured I'd remove the top case and yank the can out. But, I can't figure out how to get that pin out?

There is a black metal washer on the the small tube holding the pin in place. I don't see any way to get it off?

SO, I'm stuck on step one: remove the pin and then take out the liner.

Many Thanks
Bob

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Are you talking about the top case lid strap? If so, on my '03 it just unscrews.

Sorry, if I wasn't much help.

Vern :bmw:

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,907 Posts
There should be a "Knob" on that shaft that you simply unscrew with your fingers to release the strap. Sounds like it broke off.

Attachments

·
Registered
656 Posts
Mine doesn't come either but it does come apart enough to slip the loop around the pin

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup.

No Knob.

Wonder if I can epoxy a bolt into that hole?

Thanks
Bob

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
why not just get one from beemer bone yard?

He is a good guy and i am sure he has one for a good price...

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
also it seems the the OEM part for A&S is part # 52532347556 for $4.50

·
Registered
155 Posts
I did the Canisterectomy thing this weekend. Like you when I removed the screw in pin there was a black metal tube holding the strap in place. I just fiddled with it a little and the strap came right off. When it came time to re-assemble the loop on the strap slipped right over the metal tube. I was then able to screw the pin back in position.
Canisterectomy complete.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
My knob fell off and got lost so I just screwed a flat head screw in it that was longer than the threaded tube. I think it's a 10-32 thread. The extra length of the screw is what keeps the strap from working itself around the tube.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
The pin is permanently fixed in place; the strap end loop is pinched/maneuvered around the end of the pin.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
My knob broke off long ago. I use a small zip tie to hold the strap in place and just cut it if I need to remove the strap. Guess I am just a cheap Bas#%&* :cool:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Funny, mine was missing when I bought the bike and I had no idea there should be something there. I've never had the strap fall off on its own.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Dang sorry to hear about your knob there Bill. Thank goodness for zip ties!

Loren

Boatzo said:
My knob broke off long ago. I use a small zip tie to hold the strap in place and just cut it if I need to remove the strap. Guess I am just a cheap Bas#%&* :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
For some reason, I though the direction to remove the pin was to remove the piece, hollow tube that the strap goes over.

I'll have to go back and see if I can remove the inner case with the hollow tube still in place?

Many thanks
Bob

·
Registered
155 Posts
Bob, I did the canisterectomy thing Saturday. When I removed the screwed in pin for the strap the strap loop was still around the hollow tube. Just took a little wiggling to get it to come off. As a safety precaution once removed I stuck a small screw driver in the loop to prevent it from retracting into the roller assembly. I don't think that it would, but with my luck!!!!!!!!
Then all you have to do is release the pins at the latches and the liner comes right out. Super simple.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks por the update.

Getting the loop off the pin has been easy,

For some reason I though the hollow tube had to be removed to take the insert out.

Looks as if I have to just look for the retaining clips now since the screw/bolt may never have been there?

Best from Tucson
Bob

1 - 16 of 16 Posts