BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I got it home, my new LT. I spent the last 4 months looking for the right one at the right price with all the options I wanted. I found one a few hundred miles away.
It is a 2000 with 51K miles, arm rests, BMW cover, BMW cup holder and tank bag, Formotion compass and thermometer, Star comm 1 system, Goldwing rack and hyway pegs.
It also have a custom seat that I think is a Russell Day Long, but can not find a tag. Oh, and its not beige. I love the color.
All of this is stuff that I wanted and knew I would have to spend a lot to get one at atime, so I am thrilled.

Me and my new LT at the Astoria Column

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Congrats! It is a love hate relationship (at least for me). Many miles to you.

Robert

·
Registered
151 Posts
Congrats, now get riding! I'm out riding the south shore of the St Lawrence, slowly making my way to Hyw 1 and Boston. Its a great bike and you'll love it.

Cheers,
Tross

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I already love it. I first saw a picture of one in an ad while I was looking for a Goldwing to replace my current Goldwing. I had to see and ride one. I found one at a local dealer and I knew that was the bike for me. I spent the next several months reading this forum and watching the videos done by Illinois BMW club on YouTube. That helped a lot, I knew the right questions to ask and what to look for. I am a trained and certified mechanic and have worked on extremely complex stuff including the US Air Force C-17 Globmaster. I feel that this bike will be no problem for me to keep going. I am prepared for her to be a bit of a needy mistress. :)
I rode her 200+ miles first day and I am going to do the IBA SS from Olympia WA to Missoula MT and back on the 19th. I also ride 100 miles everyday to and from work. It will be ridden.

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
I already love it. I first saw a picture of one in an ad while I was looking for a Goldwing to replace my current Goldwing. I had to see and ride one. I found one at a local dealer and I knew that was the bike for me. I spent the next several months reading this forum and watching the videos done by Illinois BMW club on YouTube. That helped a lot, I knew the right questions to ask and what to look for. I am a trained and certified mechanic and have worked on extremely complex stuff including the US Air Force C-17 Globmaster. I feel that this bike will be no problem for me to keep going. I am prepared for her to be a bit of a needy mistress. :)
I rode her 200+ miles first day and I am going to do the IBA SS from Olympia WA to Missoula MT and back on the 19th. I also ride 100 miles everyday to and from work. It will be ridden.
And then worked on. And then ridden. And then worked on... :histerica

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I am used to that. I had my Goldwing torn apart many times. I had to do everything from the fork seals, to brakes, to a complete top end rebuilt and timing belts. You think the LT is needy, try owning a 32 year old bike with 4 carburetors. I even had to replace both throttle cables and the speedo cable. Ride, work, ride, work, it still needs work.

·
Registered
517 Posts
OldMopars, Know you are going to love the bike. You got a nice looking bike there and I hated that you and the bike were so dark in the picture. Shooting with lots of bright sky in the shot will do that if you don't tell the camera to do otherwise. Since I did this kind of work as a pro for some 45 years and it's you first shot of you and new LT, I thought I'd help with the exposure on you and bike just a bit.

Hope you don't mind that I corrected it a bit. So this is what color his new bike is. Looks good.

·
Premium Member
7,814 Posts
Congratulations, and good job on knowing what you wanted and patiently finding it.

And yeh, I guess if you're hands-on with the C-17 you can handle the LT's maintenance requirements. :D

I was just about to ask if you wanted to sell the Russell Day Long seat, but then I saw that was on your list of things you were looking for. You got some choice upgrades on that LT!

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Congrats! You are definitely prepared mentally for the LT. That was one of the best new owner posts yet.

I rode mine every day for 4 years, 120,000 miles, and yes, had most of the known issues, including replacing all four pistons once. (actually a pretty easy job on the LT, do not remove engine). The hardest job I ever did was replacing the starter sprag clutch once. To help avoid that, run a bottle of CD2 a few hundred miles before about every fifth or sixth oil change to keep the sprag cage clean. That sprag clutch will last the life of the bike if it does not get gummed up.

The LT is a fantastic mile eating bike.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Welcome aboard
I would say great choice. Though mine an '09 I think the LT has good lineage. In 4 years 30k+ miles and 40 states it is the most encouraging machine for a road trip.
Your credentials seem impeccable with a background in military mechanics. So my question to you is do you make house calls.
Visited Dover AFB on most recent trip. The museum that is and what great stories.
ride safe :bmw:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Enjoy your new ride. I have an 02 that appears to be the same color as yours. I like the color because you do not see one every day.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Enjoy your new ride. I have an 02 that appears to be the same color as yours. I like the color because you do not see one every day.
Yeah, I was beginning to think that the only color they came in was Beige. I looked at a ton of ads and they were all beige. Not a bad color, just not for me. The canyon red is great for me. My Goldwing is the same basic color.
This is my only hobby, so I have the time to tinker with it. Gives me something to do on Sunday afternoons and keeps me out of the bars.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
My 00 can look Beige, but it is affectionately called "metal flake dust".

you didn't mention aux lights. I've discovered that a HID low beam with a spacer does pretty good for the low beam.
Bob

·
Registered
117 Posts
OldMopars, Know you are going to love the bike. You got a nice looking bike there and I hated that you and the bike were so dark in the picture. Shooting with lots of bright sky in the shot will do that if you don't tell the camera to do otherwise. Since I did this kind of work as a pro for some 45 years and it's you first shot of you and new LT, I thought I'd help with the exposure on you and bike just a bit.

Hope you don't mind that I corrected it a bit. So this is what color his new bike is. Looks good.

Mines a 2000 also and the same color.
Wonder what he paid.
Nice job cleaning the pic up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts