BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me say thanks to all those experienced LT riders who have posted helpful hints for us new LT owners.

A couple weeks ago I bought an '01 LTC with 7800 miles and sporting a Hannigan Astro sidecar. Before I made the purchase I spent a lot of hours on this forum reading post after post about the goods and the bads of the LT. I wanted one in the worst ways as it has to be one of the coolest looking tourers ever made. But all of the negative posts about final drive failures, maintenance costs, repair costs for failed ABS units, etc had just about discouraged me from taking the plunge. But to buy a GWing after falling in love with the idea of owning an LT? Seemed kind of like a pretty severe compromise to me. One of the members responded to my hand wringing post with the reminder that although highly publicised on this forum the failures are actually reasonably rare. A 1 in 25 chance of experiencing final drive failure is acceptable to me. Thanks for the sanity check.

So, I put 925 miles on it in the first weekend I owned it riding 2 up with the sidecar on. Much easier to pilot on the Interstate than around town with the sidecar attached.

Today I finally found enough intestinal fortitude to take off the sidecar (it really does only take 10 minutes to do this) and try a ride without the training wheel! My goodness gracious! What a ride! I have owned a lot of bikes in my lifetime (never a sport bike) but this thing corners like it's on rails! Access to the freeway begins with a 25 mph constant radius 180 deg right turn. This was my first curve so I started at 25 mph and gently rolled the throttle on as I went through the curve. When I looked at the speedo as I was rolling out of the curve I was at freeway speed of 60 mph. It was as easy and as comfortable as if I was going 25 - 30 mph. The rest of the ride was the same way. This bike is so solid that it instills a certain confidence that makes riding a pleasure.

Around town? I'm 5' 8" with a 28" inseam. With the seat in the low position I am close enough to flat footed at rest that I'm reasonably comfortable with the fit. What really made the difference for me around town was the advice of the forum members regarding proper technique for keeping the caged beast upright when at rest. Without this advice I am sure she'd have wallowed her way to the ground shattering my confidence in my ability to handle her about town.

I work night shift and this is a night off for me so maybe I'll sign off and go for a ride!

Thanks to all once again for the advice and instruction.

Loren

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
Welcome to the asylum Loren! :wave

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Congrats on the purchase, Loren. Every time I begin to think about a different bike, I fire up the LT and within a mile of riding, it's all love again! I've owned many bikes over the years, but the LT is special. What a bike. Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Yup! You discovered what makes the LT such a great bike. Even with all it's challenges, it is SUCH a great riding bike. It really does put a smile on your face that's very hard to wipe off! :bmw:

·
Premium Member
4,876 Posts
Yes, WELCOME and how about a picture of the bike with the sidecar attached. I've had an interest in adding a sidecar and look forward to seeing yours with a review of how it handles.

The big difference between this bike and all of the others I've owned is that this one is ridden. Others I was content to wash and look, this one I ride. Dirtiest bike I've owned.

·
Premium Member
7,543 Posts
wa1200lt said:
First let me say thanks to all those experienced LT riders who have posted helpful hints for us new LT owners.

Today I finally found enough intestinal fortitude to take off the sidecar (it really does only take 10 minutes to do this) and try a ride without the training wheel! My goodness gracious! What a ride! I have owned a lot of bikes in my lifetime (never a sport bike) but this thing corners like it's on rails! Access to the freeway begins with a 25 mph constant radius 180 deg right turn. This was my first curve so I started at 25 mph and gently rolled the throttle on as I went through the curve. When I looked at the speedo as I was rolling out of the curve I was at freeway speed of 60 mph. It was as easy and as comfortable as if I was going 25 - 30 mph. The rest of the ride was the same way. This bike is so solid that it instills a certain confidence that makes riding a pleasure.

{snip}

Loren
You just had to drink the Kool-Aid didn't you? :bmw:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Congrats Loren for the good purchase... it's just the start, you'll enjoy it every day more :wave

·
Registered
809 Posts
It truly is a nice bike, and the folks in the neighborhood are pretty nice too. Welcome to the ride!

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
It's sort of like a fungus....................they grow on ya'................. :histerica

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all for the welcome. As I write this I am nearly 250 miles from home enjoying a quick lunch. Miss Aubergine is cooling down in the parking lot getting ready for the return ride. I can hardly wait!

As for pictures I will get a few up on photobucket this week.

A review on riding with the Hannigan sidecar? This week.

The Kool Aid? I did indeed partake of the mauve Kool Aid! I love mauve Kool Aid!

Loren

·
Registered
276 Posts
Loren

Betcha leave that sidecar off more than it's on! :) Certainly it will be great for the long trips, but two-up for weekending is the nuts!

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think you're right V-RodPete! Except that my wife is scare to death of "tipping"(cornering). The bike will probably have 75,000 miles on it before she will ride without the sidecar.

Loren

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
wa1200lt said:
The Kool Aid? I did indeed partake of the mauve Kool Aid! I love mauve Kool Aid!

Loren
I drank the green kool-aid and man, was it sweet! Congrats.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think you're right V-RodPete! Except that my wife is scared to death of "tipping"(cornering). The bike will probably have 75,000 miles on it before she will ride without the sidecar. But you know what? If that's what it takes for her to ride along then I love my sidecar!

BTW: finding a place in the garage to park the sidecar is tough. The thing is huge!.

Loren

·
Registered
338 Posts
I too have a Hannigan Astro GT attached and loving it. Once I got used to it, riding in town , heavy traffic, stop and go...none of it is a problem and the rig is a lot more visible to other drivers. Do you have the Steerlight--easy steer option? Hannigan told me that it is not advised to ride the bike without the sidecar--hence the position of the front fork has been changed and solo ride could be dangerous. It supposed to make steering 60% easier.
Enjoy your rig
Les

1 - 15 of 15 Posts