BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my final follow-up to my Just Venting Thread. You may want to check out the previous post here.
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45599&highlight=venting

I just completed the 12K service on my 4 year old LT. I bought it a year ago and put more than half of those miles on her.

In a nutshell the local BWM dealer wanted 1650.00 for the service with one rear tire. I did the whole thing for about $600.00 not including the Paul Sayegh's videos, the previously broken left mirror and a few tools. I attached a picture of her stripped down to show the point where I got nervous.

Service performed:
• Replaced tire
• Replaced Diff fluid
• Replaced Trans fluid
• Replaced Engine oil and filter
• Replaced Coolant
• Replaced Air filter
• Replaced Spark plugs
• Remove and grease shifter linkage
• Grease other fittings
• Replace left mirror
• Tether both mirrors with steel fishing line
• Run new audio cable for radar detector

Total time 5 hours of work. (Does not include 2 hours driving around trying to find a 14MM Allen wrench or clean up.)

Road tested, no leaks, runs great and only one screw left over. By the way, the coolant, plugs and air filter could have gone another 12K no problem.

I would like to make a special shout out:
For the parts at great prices - http://beemerboneyard.com/
For the DVD instructions - http://www.sayegh.org/bmw/service-videoEULA.htm
For all the help and guidance on this forum!

I am also reposting my final update to the Torque and Measurement conversion file as well.

Thank you everyone!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
So $600 in parts and 5 hours labor and the dealer wanted $1600. Figure they were going to charge you $200/Hr. I think I'm in the wrong business :(

·
Human Behaviour Analyst
267 Posts
tonygret said:
I would like to make a special shout out:
For the parts at great prices - http://beemerboneyard.com/
For the DVD instructions - http://www.sayegh.org/bmw/service-videoEULA.htm
For all the help and guidance on this forum!
Thank you everyone!!!

Excellent Tony !! Congratulations. :toast:
With the bike as far apart as that picture shows, I can see why your eyes may have gotten a little wide ... that looks like ALOT of small pieces to put back together.
One of the other good things about doing what you did is that you now know the bike much better than you did before.
Now just a matter of riding and enjoying !! :bike:
Best,
Keir

·
Registered
368 Posts
Congrats Tony.

I just did the same service to my bike but the dealer asked only 589USD (444€) so I let him doing it :D

He didn't replace any tire though
tonygret said:
Road tested, no leaks, runs great and only one screw left over.
One screw left over :confused:

I hope it's only one for the tupperware ;)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Nice! Way to go Tony! I'm in the same situation as you, so I'll be contacting you when I get ready for my 12K service. Thanks for the links too. I need to purchase the DVD before I get ready to perform the service.
Great to see how much $$ you saved because I was worried about the shop costs prior to purchasing my '05 LT.

George

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
If you don't replace any tires or mirrors, it'll be less than $200.00. I save $700.00 every time I do a 12K myself, compared to dealer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Congrats Tony,

looking over the list of what you did to your bike, I didn't see, checked valve clearance.
I hope you just forgot to list it. Some say the valve clearance at the first 12k isn't important, but it should be done. On the first 12k on my bike I had an exhaust valve that was tight.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rotor said:
Congrats Tony,

looking over the list of what you did to your bike, I didn't see, checked valve clearance.
I hope you just forgot to list it. Some say the valve clearance at the first 12k isn't important, but it should be done. On the first 12k on my bike I had an exhaust valve that was tight.
Darn! I got caught. There are two things I am leaving for the dealer. One is the valve check / adjustment and the other is the brake / clutch flush.

After all the warnings I hear about the bleeding and flushing brake system there is no way I am touching that. Brake pads however, no problem.

As for the valve adjustment, I don't have any replacement valve buckets and i would not remove the cams myself if i did. I am waiting until I have 18K on her and am having both of these items done at the dealer.

Someone correct me if i am wrong, but if a valve was tight at your 12K, it was tighter when it was new. I am not convinced a slightly tight or slightly loose valve on these things will cause a catastrophic failure nor have I run across a singe post that suggests that. In fact my riding buddies have never had an adjustment actually done, they just keep paying for the "checks".

I know I am taking my chances, but I do that every time I mount up :)

·
Human Behaviour Analyst
267 Posts
tonygret said:
Darn! I got caught. There are two things I am leaving for the dealer. One is the valve check / adjustment and the other is the brake / clutch flush.
I know I am taking my chances, but I do that every time I mount up :)
I think it's fair to say that (like anything in life), you can overdo the amount of maintenance you do on this bike.
If compared to the maintenance schedule of some similarly tasked Japanese bikes, this one is over the top. I can't imagine that it's not "at least" as well engineered as a Goldwing :bmw: -- so I often wonder if the LTs maintenance schedule is slightly overdone ...... the skeptic in me wonders if it isn't designed to keep dealer service departments active and profitable.
Certainly you have to do things that keep you and those around you safe, and regular fluids changed but if other things are working well ..... I think you can "defer" some other less critical things on the schedule.
Just my (not terribly learned) opinion. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
I asked the same question concerning tightening valves a few months ago. It was explained to me like this; the bucket tappet clearance gets smaller (tighter), as the engine wears.This happens because the valve sits deeper into the valve seat, causing the valve tip to move closer to the camshaft lobe.

I hope you do your valve check/adj. Everything you need to know is in this site. Take beer in hand and follow directions.

That's my 2 bits.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts