BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been putting this off for a while now and decided to just jump in there today. I took my time as I pulled the old girl apart and made several notes for the order of how to re-install. My memory is not what it used to be so I also took pictures.

I documented all the clamp positions so I can quickly button here up with no throttle binding. I also made a reminder for leaving the inner radiator mounts ON the radiator and remove them from the frame mount. Just makes it easier to get them out and back in. Also the order in which the fans come out, removal of the left engine mount to get the water elbow out after the TBs have been removed.

Found a really neat item to keep all the valve stuff sorted out and clean of dust. The big pack was at Costco and the candy is also very good. This will hold the buckets, valve springs and keepers when I break down the head for a clean up. Below that is the tray I put the cams and gears into.

Got the her ready for tomorrow when I will pull the crankcase cover, timing cover and cylinder head.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
If you didn't get a chance to test your new ring sleeve, I am curious on how well it works. Looking good so far. As already requested, keep the pics coming and hopefully the Nikasil is still on good shape.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I tested the piston insertion tool I had made on an old junk engine. Works like a charm and that is why I decided to go in now.

Reactions: bmwcoolk1200

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Next update. Got the timing cover off and looked at the chain guides. BMW recommends replacing these at 36,000 miles intervals. But at 110,000 there is very little wear. None the less I am in there and the kit to do it was less than $45.

Got the cylinder head off and found there was a ring of carbon built up at the top of the cylinders. I have to remove that as it is just like a ridge on a conventional cast iron cylinder. Once cleaned up the piston comes out easily.

I was happy to say the #1 big end bearing looked brand new with no wear I could see and the crank journal was also pristine. The way the oil feeds this engine #1 is the first to show damage during oil starvation.

Since I could not get any wrist pin clips (none in the US) I am soaking the piston tops in the Gunk Brand carburetor bulk cleaner with the rods still attached. I think it is better that way as the clips are not easy to remove and install.

Side by side comparison with my 110 K piston and two of the pistons from my friends 100 K damaged engine. I was happy to see the ring lands were not damaged at all.

Now to get after the rest of the pistons.

Attachments

Reactions: kbob12 and Patric

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
From this angle, the Nikasil looks good. Unless you already cleaned them up, I am guessing that your oil consumption was coming from the back two cylinders.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They are all about even and yes I had already cleaned #1. At this rate I'll have the head ready to go to Southern Cylinder Head on Wednesday and have all the pistons back in before it gets back.

Of course it is just my luck we are under a tornado watch and Jean won't let me bring all the parts into the shelter.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK here is one for engine builders out there. I noticed (and felt slightly) a waviness near the top of #2 cylinder. It is smooth and there is nothing I can do about it but I have never seen this before. #3 has a smaller area and #1 & 4 do not have it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,548 Posts
OK here is one for engine builders out there. I noticed (and felt slightly) a waviness near the top of #2 cylinder. It is smooth and there is nothing I can do about it but I have never seen this before. #3 has a smaller area and #1 & 4 do not have it.
I have never had a Nikasil engine apart so I have no experience to offer. Those waves appear to be circumferential rather than axial, which is interesting. I have see axial waviness at the top of the stroke where the rings change direction, but never circumferential waviness. I would guess it is an uneven hardness in the Nikasil coating, but that is an absolute SWAG.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
How do those piston look on that side? Wondering if it may be caused by blow by super heating those areas. Same boat as Matt, no Nikasil experience so another swag.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
Was there carbon build up on the piston between the top ring land & the top of the piston in the area on the cylinder wall ?.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Was there carbon build up on the piston between the top ring land & the top of the piston in the area on the cylinder wall ?.
There was a small amount but #1 had that as well. I did find that the ring end gaps were very close together on 2,3 & 4 and at the top of the piston. Wasn't really looking at #1 at the time. Could be why she was using oil. I did check ring end gaps on #1 old piston and it was in the "new" range of 0.2 - 0.4 mm but closer to 0.4 (gauge was 0.385). New ring was closer to 0.2.

I have the head all ready to go to the shop tomorrow for clean up and assessment. I removed springs and guide seals to make it easier for the shop. My home made spring compressor works like a champ.

#1 is fully cleaned, rings installed and oiled up. I am storing them in gallon zip slider bags. Ready to go back into the block.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
They don't look too bad in that respect. I might take a compression ring and put it in over the suspected area and then look to see if there is any light visible . Either something was wearing oddly in those areas or the Nikasil is coming loose from behind if there is a gap large enough for light to pass. Was not able to find a similar picture, only ones that were after a failure and the cause of this particular one is not known but I see it is in the same general location as your waviness and seems to have failed in a similar circumferential pattern as Matt mentioned. The scoring and loss of Nikasil material makes it difficult to compare. Looking forward to further comment by Dave.

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have witnessed something close to that on hayabusa's but in a far far more extreme application where turbo or nitrous was used. I always thought it was a hot spot due to the heat. But that doesn't really apply here unless carbon build up with a lean condition was at play.

I have NO experience with the BMW in this regard at all.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK time for the next update.

I did put a new ring in #2 and shined a bright light. For everyone that watched the Great American Eclipse, I saw "Baily's Beads. It was just too hard to get a photo on the bike so I have included one from an eclipse.

Guess we will just have to see what happens after a few thousand miles. I have a nice bore scope the will show if the new rings scrape off the coating.

The head was ready today at 1 pm. For $260 is got the exhaust valves lightly ground to remove the pitting and they ground the tops of the valve to keep everything in spec with the existing buckets. The head looks really good, just wish I had taken a before shot of the combustion chambers and the back side of the exhaust vales. Loads of carbon from the oil burning.

The pistons are all cleaned up (had tons of carbon), rings installed and new rod bolts. Everything is well oiled and bagged ready for install.

All I can say is this is way easier than a clutch job!

Attachments

·
Registered
544 Posts
Looks good John-You're good for another 14 years or so!

I think I've got the cooling/radiator/hoses all sorted out-can't wait to ride but that's a while yet.

Planning a CC50 as soon as the weather gets warm enough for me to get to San Diego to start.

Dave

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Looks great. Very nice work. You can do mine any time you want >:)

Reactions: Voyager

·
Premium Member
7,548 Posts
OK time for the next update.

I did put a new ring in #2 and shined a bright light. For everyone that watched the Great American Eclipse, I saw "Baily's Beads. It was just too hard to get a photo on the bike so I have included one from an eclipse.

Guess we will just have to see what happens after a few thousand miles. I have a nice bore scope the will show if the new rings scrape off the coating.

The head was ready today at 1 pm. For $260 is got the exhaust valves lightly ground to remove the pitting and they ground the tops of the valve to keep everything in spec with the existing buckets. The head looks really good, just wish I had taken a before shot of the combustion chambers and the back side of the exhaust vales. Loads of carbon from the oil burning.

The pistons are all cleaned up (had tons of carbon), rings installed and new rod bolts. Everything is well oiled and bagged ready for install.

All I can say is this is way easier than a clutch job!
Should have had them ground down so you could use all of those 2.90 buckets that we all have. :grin:

·
Premium Member
7,548 Posts
1 - 20 of 66 Posts