BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

I broke the pig

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  beets 
#1 ·
I need to blow off some steam, you motor heads will understand where my pain is coming from..
Now don't get me wrong, Iron Pig (BMW LT1100) doesn't have an oil leak, she is marking her territory, also she is not dribbling coolant like a dog pissing up a tree, she is a little incontinent.
All the same it was starting to annoy me, especially since I was getting oil in the water and water in the oil.
Only one reason for that, the seals on the combined water/oil pump had gone tango uniform, I ordered the parts from the local BMW dealer, they only took just over a week to get here, dismantled the fairing, took the pump off, got the new parts mounted…
…it went too well, just too easy!
I replaced the pump back on the motor, it slid on with a sexy smooth silky sigh, only there was about a millimeter gap, nothing to worry about, it's simply the tight fit of the turbine shaft to the engine.
I can pull it into place by tightening the bolts cross wise.
WHAT CAN POSSIBLY GO WRONG?
Tighten, tighten, tighten, very slowly, slowly does it……………….. gently does it……………….CRACK!
Split the bloody cast aluminum pump casing didn't I?
GGGGGrrrrrrrrrrrr!
Anyway, as the broken off piece has a bolt hole I have used a lot of gasket sealant and hopefully it will withstand the oil pressure. EIther that is gonna work or hallo E-bay.

That was a day ago, I filled up the water, filled up the oil…. the sealed crack held nicely, just the new seals inside didn't, drip, drip, dribble, dribble dribble.
Screw this, has anybody got a water/oil pump laying around they don't need and would like to see it go to a new loving home?

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Slammer,

Long time no hear.

Sorry that it has to be under these circumstances.

I am a firm believer in the Finangle's Law (just like Murphy's Law but with "... at the worst possible time or when it can cause the most damage." at the end.)

I wish I could help you out, however all I have is a K100RT. It is EU registered!

Drop me line if you are ever in the neighbourhood.

Best regards
Sleuth

#3 ·
My Haynes manual says to turn the engine while tightening the bolts. I think this is so the gears mesh smoothly. I did this by putting bike in 5th gear and turning the wheel with my foot while tightening the bolts.

A well known Kbike guru reports a 50% success rate on installing the seals, so I removed the pump and had a trusted dealer tech install the seals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.