BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd share some pic's of what broke on my way to the BMW club breakfast this morning. This happened right when I speed shifted from red line in first gear to second.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Damm , sorry to see that.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,178 Posts
Oh man... Sorry to see this!:(
So it seems the rollers gave up and took the joint with them...

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,553 Posts
Not unheard of Dave. Looks like it was on its way out for some time judging from the rust. Guess you never noticed any unusual vibration?

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DANG!! I wish I'd known this was going to happen yesterday. There were 7 LTs in my garage. I could have had my pick of one of their driveshafts! :histerica As it is, I have 3 driveshafts in stock just waiting for something to do.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Take Lee's, he will never know......

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
On a car the usual symptom is a clunking sound switching from fwd to reverse or a squeaking sound when the needles get dry.

On an LT, we probably don't do enough reverse work to notice, and I doubt that I could hear a squeak with the engine running and my earplugs in.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
sheldan2 said:
Take Lee's, he will never know......
Careful, Mike. After your next valve check you might need so many buckets we'll call you "Bucket Head!" :histerica

Sorry to hear of your driveshaft, Dave. Glad you were able to get home.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jzeiler said:
Not unheard of Dave. Looks like it was on its way out for some time judging from the rust. Guess you never noticed any unusual vibration?
It had no vibration at all. I had just been riding 80 mph on the freeway for 20 miles.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wolfflow said:
Wow. Looks like it has been bad for a-while. May I ask, how many miles. (shhh,I'm learning here :D )
Just shy of 150,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Sorry that had to happen Dave. I'd say however with those miles you got your money's worth out of it. I guess we should all not red line when our ride has over 145k :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Dave;

Been there done that at 130k. Mine would hit the ID of the swing arm. Got home and checked and same situation. Im due for another new one at another 100k.
Good luck.

Zeke

·
Registered
319 Posts
Sorry to hear the news,Dave. But, if anyone can fix it in hurry. You can and if I had to guess it was completed and fixed the same day.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Michaeldale said:
Sorry to hear the news,Dave. But, if anyone can fix it in hurry. You can and if I had to guess it was completed and fixed the same day.
It would have been but I decided to replace the slave cyl. install my CB & have the front shock rebuilt while it's apart.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sorry to see that man. That shows you right there how smooth and nice this bikes really are that you had no signs of it going bad.

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
saddleman said:
Just thought I'd share some pic's of what broke on my way to the BMW club breakfast this morning. This happened right when I speed shifted from red line in first gear to second.
Another reason to use the clutch when you shift! :)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
bgerrity said:
I couldn't tell from the pictures whether this was the front or rear U-joint. Are there two?

Its 1 drive shaft with two u joints. When mine went, it was the rear one.

Zeke

1 - 20 of 23 Posts