BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from a long ride all day 960 km and just 5 mins from home I hit a pot hole at around 70kmh and slightly bent the front rim outer lip, no loss of air so I made it home.

How should I fix this..

Do it your self or BMW or other.

All advise will be helpful. :wave :wave :wave

The bike is a 2010 R1200RT.

P:S I am really p.....ed off !!!!!!! but if one rides things happen at times. hommmmmmm

·
Registered
726 Posts
Sorry to hear this, but sh-t happens and the only thing I can tell you is these rims are VERY soft and would advise taking to your dealer and see what they can do. Apart from that you know they will try and sell you a new one. :(

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
I don't believe the cast aluminum wheels are fixable.
Would probably crack if you try to straighten.
New wheel.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I would take mine to Woody's Wheel Works in CO, USA. He does great work on spoke and alloy MC wheels. That is a stretch from your area so you might try checking with body shops and find who is repairing alloy wheels. If it isn't bent to the point of stressing the surrounding material it could be a candidate for repair. Otherwise you are left with a replacement. Woody's charges about $125-$150 for a professional repair including refinishing if required.

http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/

·
Registered
637 Posts
Just how bent is it?

The flanges of both front & rear of my R1100RT were bent out ~ 3/16 inch on a Colorado pothole. I used a humongous vise & blocks to straighten them (didn't even remove the tires!). Came out undetectable & didn't mess up the paint either. It took a lot of force. If yours are bent more, definitely go for a professional fix.

Whatever, don't try straightening it/them with a hammer. The results will look like it.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
AQUN said:
I just got back from a long ride all day 960 km and just 5 mins from home I hit a pot hole at around 70kmh and slightly bent the front rim outer lip, no loss of air so I made it home.
Sorry for your hit, but if it makes you feel better, I didn't even get my '09 RT home from the dealer before I hit a pothole so hard that I had to buy a new wheel! ($880, IIRC!)

If it is a small bend, I would definitely go the professional straightener route. No disrespect intended to the poster above, but I would *not* recommend the vise approach -- that will not true the rim edge (which is a safety bead), but will instead only push the bent region in while drawing the nearby still straight portions in as well -- you're very likely to have a "wavey" surface in that area -- maybe not enough to eyeball, but the acceptable amount of run-out (both lateral *and* radial) is less than a Mk1 eyeball can see without a dial indicator. It's your tail at issue -- even if the risk is small, it's not worth a few $ saved -- do it right!

·
Registered
989 Posts
STARFIGHTER said:
I don't believe the cast aluminum wheels are fixable.
Would probably crack if you try to straighten.
New wheel.
Yes they are.
Living in Pothole Capital of USA (New Jersey, for you less-informed) I had a wheel straightened probably on every BMW bike I owned. Typically, it was the front wheel - though I bent once a rear on an LT, too.

I used MC Wheel in Keene NH for the cast wheels and have been very happy with the results.

I also used Woody's for my GS spoked wheel - that shop is expert on that type of wheel, very good service as well.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
harlowv said:
Don't know about Argentina, but would pot hole/wheel damage be covered under insurance?
In the U.S. it would, but the question is: how big is your deductable? If it's ~$500, its a hard choice. If you do the work yourself (e.g., swap over the brake rotors/ABS ring), figuring the cost of the wheel and a tire, you're right at ~$1000. If you submit a claim, you'll only get ~1/2 of your out of pocket back, but you'll also have a rates-impacting claim on your insurance file. Either choice isn't pretty.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Good Day!

There is a place I have heard of in S. Calif. Sierra BMW in Sparks, Nv has the info. I'll see if I can find mine info in the morning. They have been good for small repairs and do it right. The ones I have seen the finish has been affected.

Good Luck!

Tony

·
Registered
729 Posts
Well that sucks, I would think the tire also might be damaged.
The wheel and tire combo is expensive, somewhere near 1k. Insurance claim maybe, road hazard. Give them a call and see.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My dealer offered wheel replacement insurance at time of purchase. He mentioned that most of the high mileage guys bought it as they often took advantage of the replacement.

Speaking of bent rims... My BMW300xi had an incident with a pothole and bent the rim. I could feel the pulsing wobble after replacing the tire. I didn't know that there was a service to straighten bent rims out and thought my only option was replacement. My post warranty BMW shop told me about the rim service and sent out 3 of my rims for straightening. Yes 3 out of 4 were dinged. Thank you Boston/Mass Pike roads for damaging my rims. Not much you can do sometimes when everyone is in line at 70mph. You often see 5 cars pulled over changing flat tires after hitting the same bridge expansion joint pothole.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I had the same thing happen, the rim was bent more than a little, see jpg's.
My dealer negotiated with the rim, bent is gone.
Gaby

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
mine too is a little bent! I have a tire and wheel policy! It is only good if the tire is losing air! I am still riding it! If I need to I can always take a sledge and a block of wood to it and collect! Let me wear down the tire first!

·
Registered
637 Posts
My rim flanges were bent out over a longer distance, but there was no apparent reduction in the wheel diameter. No way would I consider using a hammer to straighten these if nothing else to preserve the finish and reduce the damage to the base metal. A vise is much more controllable.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I wouldn't use a hammer either, but judging by at the result, my dealer is quite experienced in these matters :)
Gaby

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for great info..

Today I spoke to a wheel fixer and said can bend it back and paint it again but will have to heat the rim up..

I am concerned that if one heats the rim it will loose its temple and the rim could become soft all around.

I will take it for a spin tomorrow and see how she runs.

A new front wheel locally via BMW costs US$ 1,400 wow !!!! :mad:

Tks all again keep advice coming in please. :wave :wave :wave

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
AQUN said:
Thanks for great info..

Today I spoke to a wheel fixer and said can bend it back and paint it again but will have to heat the rim up..

I am concerned that if one heats the rim it will loose its temple and the rim could become soft all around.

I will take it for a spin tomorrow and see how she runs.

A new front wheel locally via BMW costs US$ 1,400 wow !!!! :mad:

Tks all again keep advice coming in please. :wave :wave :wave
Ebay

1 - 20 of 41 Posts