BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I started a thread, (Shifter question (2006 KLT) September 04, 2021), which stated I was having trouble with my shifter pivot (deflection lever #10) binding. I ended up loosening the nut #16 so the bushing rotates on the bolt instead of the lever rotating on the bushing. Well after a year I finally got to it and decided to either repair this thing properly or replace it. I believe I asked if this item was fitted with some type of inserts which ride on the internal bushing #15. After detailed inspection I noticed this unit DOES have, what appears to be phenolic inserts fitted at each end of the pivot bar, (see photos). Can one of our tech guru’s clue me in if this is an older or newer revision to the parts diagram shown? I know the lever is shaped differently than the drawing so maybe it’s something BMW engineers tried and it didn’t work out! I recall Saddleman stating he replaced one for a customer that was binding. Notice anything odd or different?

Font Auto part Parallel Engineering Sketch
Rim Cylinder Composite material Circle Carbon
Eye Eyelash Flash photography Tints and shades Circle
Composite material Metal Auto part Nickel Fashion accessory

Font Auto part Parallel Engineering Sketch
Rim Cylinder Composite material Circle Carbon
Eye Eyelash Flash photography Tints and shades Circle
Composite material Metal Auto part Nickel Fashion accessory

Reactions: CaliCruiser

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks as always John for the reply. Being the cheap bastard I am, I buffed the bushing on a cloth wheel with rouge compound to a mirror finish. Then I ran a rolled scotch brite pad into the internal part of the pivot with a drill motor. It's now a very smooth rotation on the pivot. I also placed a long all thread with nuts on each side to check for end play, which is also good. I always use white lithium grease for the ball joints and the pivot bushing. Through the years I've read sporadic posts of some folks stating a similar problem with binding shifter. Do you think this type grease may be having an adverse effect with the dissimilar inserts?........:D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts