BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For spammers. Usually I get about 1000 spam emails /day on a normal day and my spam filters are able to cope with that and filter the spam. Some days that goes up to 1200 and some days that goes down as low as 900, but the last couple of weeks I have been battling an onslaught of spam email of upwards to 5000 ! per day.

Lucky for me the spammers are a least stupid enough to form their "messages" in a way that relatively easy filters can catch them 100% of the time, but what I don't understand why everybody just stands by idly and all they do is filter them.

That doesn't really make the problem go away in fact it exacerbates the problem even more. The spammers know they get less and less messages through and so they have to send more and more messages in order to get the desired effect.

What is interesting is that it seems the spammers found a new drive by exploit because invariably more than 95% of he spam messages have the following headers:

X-Mailer: Microsoft Office Outlook, Build 11.0.5510
X-Mimeole: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1807

Which again makes them easy to filter, but but some of the folks that use some features of M$ products at a disadvantage because since I can guarantee you I am not the only one seeing that problem more and more sites start throwing these emails out the (MS-) window (pun intended)

At the same time all the domains these emails come from do not include SPF or DKMS records and are therefore easily spoofed.

The way the email headers are formed have me believe the users are legit, just the way the emails are sent is via drive-by exploit or malware.

Check your systems folks! Otherwise you could be one of the email distribution points without even knowing <sarcasm> (and according to subject line eligible for the death penalty) </sarcasm>

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
When you state that "you" get 1000 SPAM emails a day, do you mean "you" personally, or the bmwlt.com site? :confused: If you mean you personally, I am totally perplexed.

I have 5 email accounts that I use daily. One for work, one for forum topics, one for music stuff, etc., etc... I like keeping separate accounts for the different parts of my life. Just one way to keep myself organized. With all 5 accounts, I get ZERO SPAM. ZERO! And it's not like I'm not an active online user. I buy and sell on eBay every week. I'm active on several online forums involving motorcycles, music, phones, networking, VOIP, and etc... And yet, ZERO SPAM.

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
messenger13_ver2 said:
When you state that "you" get 1000 SPAM emails a day, do you mean "you" personally, or the bmwlt.com site? :confused: If you mean you personally, I am totally perplexed.

I have 5 email accounts that I use daily. One for work, one for forum topics, one for music stuff, etc., etc... I like keeping separate accounts for the different parts of my life. Just one way to keep myself organized. With all 5 accounts, I get ZERO SPAM. ZERO! And it's not like I'm not an active online user. I buy and sell on eBay every week. I'm active on several online forums involving motorcycles, music, phones, networking, VOIP, and etc... And yet, ZERO SPAM.
Yes, I mean I personally get about 1000 spam emails/day, directed to me and an individual. I won't bug you with statistics how many bmwlt.com throws away. That is exactly the problem. Most of them get caught in spam filters and few come through t my inbox. But thats not the problem here. The problem is that we all pay for those spammers to send their crap so that we can filter it.

How we pay? We pay in the fee's we pay to our ISP, we pay in the fees for spam filters, we pay fees for higher bandwidth connection lines (because the ISP's need that) .... In short *WE* pay for those scum sucking low life's.

Very well informed estimates say that currently more than 90% of all emails sent worldwide are spam. That makes for some serious bandwidth that is simply wasted.

Why I get that many spam emails is probably because my email address hasn't changed in the last almost 20 years.

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gunny said:
How about writing a return to sender that automatically deals with spam.
You can't return if the sender is unknown, and if you are sending it back to the (faked) email address you are compounding the problem and becoming part of the problem instead of part of the solution.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts