BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about a spur of the moment BBG in about two weeks from Oklahoma City to Las Vegas. What's the weather going to be like? I mean, typical weather along I-40 during this time period? I'm actually taking off from Chicago and will take 55 to St Louis, 44 to Oklahoma City, and then 40 over to Vegas. Figure it may be a bit chilly going to OKC, but am wondering what you guys may think the average temps will be along the rest of the way?

Figure the lowest it will be is mid-twenties, worst case. Thoughts?

Now, decisions decisions. LT or GS. Hmmm.

·
Registered
666 Posts
For OKC Area lows in low 40's high 30's, highs in 70's to 90's. Just depends on the day.

Wind is usually 10-15 but 25-40 isn't uncommon. Usually from north or south, so a good crosswind along I-40.

Albuquerque and Kingman might get an early snow storm, but it typically starts later (If memory serves me correct)

·
Registered
426 Posts
Ranks is right on possible snow storm but the places will be Amarillo, Santa Rosa, Gallop, NM and most of all Flagstaff AZ. Flagstaff is at 7000'. As soon as the altitude goes up the temp goes down. Expect below freezing in the mornings in the last three. Highs if it's sunny and no cold front pushing through 50-60F. Always check ahead each morning. The high here today was 46 deg low tonight 24 deg. 7800' But Vegas is nice and warm. Lived in NM for 20+ years just check ahead, lots of localized stuff.
Rick

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TandemCyclist said:
Ranks is right on possible snow storm but the places will be Amarillo, Santa Rosa, Gallop, NM and most of all Flagstaff AZ. Flagstaff is at 7000'. As soon as the altitude goes up the temp goes down. Expect below freezing in the mornings in the last three. Highs if it's sunny and no cold front pushing through 50-60F. Always check ahead each morning. The high here today was 46 deg low tonight 24 deg. 7800' But Vegas is nice and warm. Lived in NM for 20+ years just check ahead, lots of localized stuff.
Rick
Thanks Rick - this is exactly the type of local advice I was looking for. Shoot, I guess I knew that Flagstaff was at a higher altitude. Will post the results here if I do this thing.

:)

·
IBR# 366
16,562 Posts
TandemCyclist said:
Ranks is right on possible snow storm
Sounds like the GS to me. :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Neither Sleet nor Rain nor Snowey wind...

Well Dan, if it gets real bad and snows you can always rent a budget truck, heated this time I should imagine! I can see that finger coming up... NOW!. Have a great ride, LT for sure!! You're one helluva writer.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Dan, go to weather.com and click on the interstate forecast good tool. Good luck have fun.
Pete

1 - 7 of 7 Posts