BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a thread here that talked about a proposed bill in California to require all bikes 2000 and up to have a smog check starting in 2011. I wrote my representatives, not that it will help, stating my negative opinion of that.

Supposing it passes and supposing you have a LT that would require the test would having had a "cannesterectomy" cause issues with this test? This is assuming the test will be similar to the car tests done now. They don't have a plan for the type of test yet.

I have a 2000 LT I bought used and I haven't been under the rear box to see if that procedure was done. My bike runs fine so if it hasn't been done I don't think I need it. Just wondering if this is something the downtrodden in California are going to have to address somewhere down the line.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Hello ipokebadgers

I would guess that motorcycle emission testing would follow other motor vehicle testing in that all emission control parts must be in place and working . I believe emission control parts have a mandated warrantee maybe something like 24K miles . Has anyone tried to get a dealer to warrantee a emission control canister ?

Bob G

·
Registered
493 Posts
ipokebadgers said:
There was a thread here that talked about a proposed bill in California to require all bikes 2000 and up to have a smog check starting in 2011. I wrote my representatives, not that it will help, stating my negative opinion of that.

Supposing it passes and supposing you have a LT that would require the test would having had a "cannesterectomy" cause issues with this test? This is assuming the test will be similar to the car tests done now. They don't have a plan for the type of test yet.

I have a 2000 LT I bought used and I haven't been under the rear box to see if that procedure was done. My bike runs fine so if it hasn't been done I don't think I need it. Just wondering if this is something the downtrodden in California are going to have to address somewhere down the line.
I would assume this would be the case. Most of these inspections include the entire emissions system including the vapor recovery circuit. What they actually check for and how extensive they check remains to be seen. When I first read about this, that was my primary concern. I suspect there will be some workarounds and a bit of a market for working canisters if this passes. Maybe we should organize a set of "loaner" canisters now. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
The whole point of emissions testing is to see if required equipment is present and functioning. An evap canister and cat would certainly be on the list. Probably a muffler which passed CARB standards as well. If this passes I would expect aftermarket exhaust makers to be scrambling to get something approved.

·
Registered
256 Posts
ipokebadgers said:
There was a thread here that talked about a proposed bill in California to require all bikes 2000 and up to have a smog check starting in 2011.

...Supposing it passes and supposing you have a LT that would require the test would having had a "cannesterectomy" cause issues with this test? This is assuming the test will be similar to the car tests done now.
Does this test involve measuring tailpipe emissions, or do they scrutinize the whole vehicle, looking for missing or disconnected equipment? I would suspect the LT could pass 'tailpipe' checks with or without the cannister, which is in place to capture hydrocarbon fumes. This is just my guess, of course.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
The EVAP system is there to capture gasoline fumes generated in the fuel tank by such factors as agitation and heating. Those vapors are captured in the charcoal canister and then burnt off in the engine which pulls a small amount of air through the canister. I doubt that any emissions test would look at the EVAP system on a motorcycle as it (the EVAP) should not affect the tailpipe emissions. In cars and trucks model year 1996 and newer the inspector simply hooks up to the OBDII system to verify the presence and proper operation of the emission control system. Since motorcycles are exempt from the OBDII requirements, most have little if any emissions systems. To my knowledge, BMW is the only motorcycle built which uses a catalytic converter system so they are way ahead of the game compared to everyone else. I suspect that for a BMW with a canisterectomy to fail any potential emissions test, every other brand of cycle would be off the road.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts